Router doesnt let use the Keyboard

cellophanecorecellophanecore Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a 2501 and I am connecting to it with HyperTerminal in windows XP for the first time. It appears to be booting fine until I try to input commands into it. It will allow me to do hit ctrl + break but that's all. When it fully boots it asks me if i want to go to setup mode. At this point the router will not take any commands from the keyboard. Anyone know why?

Comments

• DanhDanh Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Very weird! Mine is doing the exact same thing right now. I am doing a CTRL break so I can practice password recovery and it wont let me type anything after I get to the > prompt.
  • cellophanecorecellophanecore Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    exactly! thats what mine is doing!
  • DanhDanh Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was told to check my hyperterminal settings. Should be:
    9600 baud rate
    No parity
    8 data bits
    1 stop bit
    No flow control

Mine are set to that, and it still isnt working. Let me know what you find out
    Good luck
    mine were too, no luck here either.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the hyperterm in windows xp is not the same as in win2k, they have made some changes to it so basically you need to get another terminal emumlator. i used it having the same issues and was told about it by someone else that had the same issue. try CRT, Teemtalk or E-term it should fine.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
    I tried CRT but still the same issue. Any luck dan h? Here is what I see before it hangs:

System Bootstrap, Version 5.2(5), RELEASE SOFTWARE
    Copyright (c) 1986-1994 by cisco Systems
    2500 processor with 8192 Kbytes of main memory

F3: 5976740+83324+442484 at 0x3000060

Restricted Rights Legend

Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is
    subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph
    (c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted
    Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph
    (c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer
    Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

cisco Systems, Inc.
    170 West Tasman Drive
    San Jose, California 95134-1706

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
    IOS (tm) 2500 Software (C2500-P-L), Version 12.0(icon_cool.gifS, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Copyright (c) 1986-1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Fri 17-Dec-99 20:44 by htseng
    Image text-base: 0x03031F24, data-base: 0x00001000

cisco 2500 (68030) processor (revision A) with 8192K/2048K bytes of memory.
    Processor board ID 01524423, with hardware revision 00000000
    X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
    1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    2 Serial network interface(s)
    32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
    8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read ONLY)

--- System Configuration Dialog ---

Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]:
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    The Hyperterminal in XP works just fine, I use it myself to connect to my two 2501 routers.

It is a good thing you both have the same problem though... it means there is a solution:

Hit the Scroll Lock key on your keyboard... (to turn Scroll Lock off again...) :D
    didnt fix the problem, thanks for the suggestion, do you have anymore?
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use Tera Term instead of HyperTerminal. I think Tera Term is A LOT better then HyperTerminal. You don't have to configure anything on it like you do with HyperTerminal. I would try it, here's the site for download.

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002416/teraterm.html

It's a great tool... icon_wink.gif

Let me know if it resolves your problem.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    didnt fix the problem, thanks for the suggestion, do you have anymore?
    icon_confused.gif As this is a common'problem' (pressing the scroll-lock key when using the break) like having caps lock on while not being able to login I was sure that would solve it... icon_wink.gif

I don't have any other suggestions, I worked a lot with the 2500 series and never seen this problem caused by anything else then the scroll lock.

I doubt switching terminal software will solve the problem.
    thanks viper75! when i use Tera Term everythign works again! how weird. Anyways, great program! Danh did you ever figure it out?
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No problem!!! icon_thumright.gif

One thing I like a lot about Tera Term is you can copy and paste very easy when you don't feel like entering the whole command(s) to a certain configuration.

Here's and example:

Lets say you are in a switch (2900) doing some configs.

You have fa0/2 configured like this:

interface FastEthernet0/2
    switch access vlan 45
    spanning-tree portfast
    snmp trap link-status

And you have to do the same config. to 10 more ports (fa0/3-fa0/13) instead of entering each command one by one all you have to do is go under fa0/2 highlight the commands you want to configure with the left mouse botton and paste with the right. It's a great thing when you're configuring switches that have a lot of ports like the 3550_48 ports switches.

Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
    2900-A(config)#int fa0/3
    2900-A(config-if)#switch access vlan 45
    spanning-tree portfast
    snmp trap link-status

Just paste all the way to port fa0/13. :D (This is just an example...you can use the same feature with any command, router\switch. Enjoy it!!!

I usually like to custom the interface. What I do is set the backround to black and the text to green, works pretty good and it's easy on the eyes.
    The terminal size I use is 80x65. icon_mrgreen.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    look your start up config ; it seems to me that both of you go to setup mode doing that ctrl+break thing, you have to change your config-register on conf t ( 0x2142 )... after that do the copy run start - so next time you boot your router not to enter your setup mode again. and there is nothing wrong in your hyper terminal if you set 9600 bitsps - 8 data bits - parity none - stop bit 1 - flow control hardware; and dont forget roll cable.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • |3londie|3londie Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This one sent my Cisco lab for a loop, ones they switched over to Tera Term... use (Alt+b) to send the brake sequence to a Cisco router using Tera Term or you can actually select it from the control menu. Nothing is wrong with configs of the router/switch or Tera Term.

So I think that (Alt+b) will work just fine for password recovery to get you into the router/switch to change the configuration register. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Why do they call me Blondie? Because I have RED hair...
  • vsousavsousa Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Everyone,

I just purchased a Cisco 2501 router and 2900 series switch. When I open up my hyperterminal, there are (blank screen) no characters displaying on the screen. The settings are 9600, 8, none, 1, none. I am also using Secure CRT and the same thing happens. I know the switch works because I bought it from a friend of mind, and I saw him use it. I am new to this, so any help would be appreciated.
  • Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are you opening your hyperterminal session before powering on the router/switch?
    I am opening powering on the router and switch before opening up a hyperterminal session. Do you think a new rollover cable is required?
  • tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    viper75 wrote:

And you have to do the same config. to 10 more ports (fa0/3-fa0/13) instead of entering each command one by one all you have to do is go under fa0/2 highlight the commands you want to configure with the left mouse botton and paste with the right. It's a great thing when you're configuring switches that have a lot of ports like the 3550_48 ports switches.

I use hyperterminal private edition, it is free to use also. You can also get copy/paste functions working and can also do macros for repetive tasks.

With many cisco systems you can do the "interface range" command. This allows you to configure multiple ports at once.

contiguous ports
    3550_1#conf t
    3550_1(config)#interface range fastethernet 0/7 - 10
    3550_1(config-if-range)#switchport mode access
    3550_1(config-if-range)#switchport access vlan 204

discontiguous ports
    3550_1(config)#interface range fa 0/1 , fa 0/4 , fa 0/10
    3550_1(config-if-range)#
  • Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am opening powering on the router and switch before opening up a hyperterminal session. Do you think a new rollover cable is required?

Open your hyperterminal session first, then power on your router/switch.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    keenon wrote:
    the hyperterm in windows xp is not the same as in win2k, they have made some changes to it so basically you need to get another terminal emumlator. i used it having the same issues and was told about it by someone else that had the same issue. try CRT, Teemtalk or E-term it should fine.

I like WinServ2k's terminal.
    Any other suggestions would be helpful, please.

Vin
    I know the 2900 Series switch works because my friend tested it on his hyperterminal. This time I am using Windows 2003 Server, and it is still displaying blank characters on the hyperterminal screen.

Vin
  • johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    ^

Sounds like you have the wrong com port selected. Its not going to be the same on every computer. My laptop is com1, and my desktop is com5.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • schwarztraderschwarztrader Inactive Imported Users Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I know i'm new here, (as this is my first post on this forum) but this is either one of two problems.

a) Your not using a rollover cable to connect your com port to the console port. - These are "usually" baby-blue flat cables.

b) You didn't select the correct com port during the hyperterm initialization. - Try every one in succession until it works.

I have successfully been able to connect my W2K3 server to the console port of my router (it used com1) so I know it's not a W2K3 server issue.
    I have tried all the COM ports, characters are not displaying on the screen.

Vinny
  • he-manhe-man Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't mean to be funny on my first post but...you do have the rolled cable plugged into the consol port and not the ethernet port on your router?

I know it sounds stupid but i've done it before icon_lol.gif
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I woud imagine the problem is with your cable,check out the following link
    so you can check your console cable pinouts.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps214/products_tech_note09186a00801f5d85.shtml
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    Just to rule this out, you are using the console port, not Aux or plugged into transciever on the 2501, and on the 2950 you are using the console port and not an FA port, correct? If yes and you have cycled through your com ports than I would have to agree with the previuos posts of having a bad cable, which is pretty rare, but does happen.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
    Yes, I am using the Console port on the router. I have tried all the COM Ports. I will try another rollover cable.

Vinny