WGU Cert Transfer and Referral

novovictusnovovictus Member Posts: 192
I have been reading through some of the monstrous WGU thread got a lot of good info.

I am looking for someone to help with a referral to avoid the application fee, can anyone help out?

Also in speaking with an enrollment counselor, I thought I should share my findings. I am looking into the "Bachelor of Science Information Technology – Security" program.

Here is the courses requirements:
http://www.wgu.edu/wgu/prog_guide/BS_IT_SECU.pdf

Here is where you find the transfer of credits for certifications:
- Go to WGU.edu/sh
- Click on "Records and Transcripts" on left hand side
- Click on "Transfer Credit Evaluation - For Students who Begin WGU on or after July 1, 2010" which is near the bottom.
- On the right, there are PDF documents, then click "Transfer Guidelines - Information Technology (BSIT, BSITDB, BSITND, BSITNW, BSITSEC, BSITSF 201007)" (4th one down)
Working on: Doctor of Information Technology Information Assurance and Security @ Capella

Comments

• cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    YHPM. If you have any questions, please let me know :)
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just out of curiosity, but if you were just reading in the WGU thread, wouldn't that be the appropriate place to post this?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • novovictusnovovictus Member Posts: 192
    I am sure it would be, but that thread is already 28 pages long.
    Working on: Doctor of Information Technology Information Assurance and Security @ Capella
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Which means I now have to link to your thread icon_rolleyes.gif

Just Kidding... icon_wink.gif

Thanks for the link and the explanation. I linked to this thread through the opening page of the WGU thread.
  • dennis1960dennis1960 Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Like novovictus, I read the WGU thread started by veritas. A lot of info and really helpful insights into the process. I too have decided to attend WGU for the BSIT - Security degree. Also like novovictus, I am looking for a referral to waive the $65 app fee. Took the readiness assessment test Saturday and have a call scheduled tomorrow with Spencer. Also studying for my Sec+ and hope to have it knocked out in the next week or two. Plan is to start Aug 1st at WGU.
    Thanks
  • howiehandleshowiehandles Member Posts: 148
    I also need a referral for WGU. 65 bucks is 65 bucks.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    http://kb.wgu.edu/utility/getfile.asp?rid=528

There's the link to the pdf to save you the time if going through the OP's steps.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • levensailorlevensailor Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    can you email a link to verify the certification to your enrollment counselor or how do you send the certifications "directly from the issuing institution" ?
    CCNP/CCDA/CCNA-Wireless/MCSA/MCITP/Network+/Security+
    BS Information Tech. - UMass
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    can you email a link to verify the certification to your enrollment counselor or how do you send the certifications "directly from the issuing institution" ?

I can't speak for Cisco and Microsoft, but on CompTIA, you can login with your CompTIA logon ID and password and then once logged on click on the "Transcripts" tab on the right. Then find and click on "Create new transcript" and then follow the instructions to send them out to your enrollment counselor. I did that with mine no problem. I would imagine it's a similar with Cisco and Microsoft.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I can't speak for Cisco and Microsoft, but on CompTIA, you can login with your CompTIA logon ID and password and then once logged on click on the "Transcripts" tab on the right. Then find and click on "Create new transcript" and then follow the instructions to send them out to your enrollment counselor. I did that with mine no problem. I would imagine it's a similar with Cisco and Microsoft.

Cisco has a similar gadget, IIRC.

MS. . . sign up through their MCP portal (whatever it's called now), and you can print out your certs. If you want them mailed, you have to call their toll-free number (whatever it is).
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • levensailorlevensailor Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    All 3 have a transcript sharing app where you send them a link with credentials.. I'm asking if you're supposed to email these links to your enrollment advisor or if you have to get them to send a paper copy or what??

i imagine email, but what address?
    CCNP/CCDA/CCNA-Wireless/MCSA/MCITP/Network+/Security+
    BS Information Tech. - UMass
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    All 3 have a transcript sharing app where you send them a link with credentials.. I'm asking if you're supposed to email these links to your enrollment advisor or if you have to get them to send a paper copy or what??

I used my EC's email address to e-mail the transcripts. Then I called him to let him know that they were sent. That was pretty much it.
  • JaggedJagged Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□

certificateinfo@wgu.edu

Got the acknowledgments in about two days. For example for Microsoft I sent:
    Name: John Doe
    Student ID: 000123456

[URL]http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/transcripts[/URL]
    Transcript  ID: 456789 
    Access Code: code

I believe CompTIA and Cisco systems send the e-mails directly. Just be sure to add your student ID to the comments section.
    Microsoft: MCSE 4, MCSE 2003 +Security, MSCA 2003 Messaging, MCITP:SA -- Cisco: CCNA
    Novell: CNE 3-6, CLA, CLP, CLE -- Nortel: NCDS, NCSS -- CompTIA: Project+, Server+, Linux+, Security+

Courses Completed at WGU:
    EWB2, BBC1, LAE1, WFV1, SSC1, CLC1, WDV1, MGC1, ORC1, INC1, IWC1
    Courses Required BS - IT: NETW:
    LAT1, LUT1, INT1, SST1, LET1, IWT1, BOV1, TWA1, CPW2
    Classes Transferred:
    BAC1, TEV1, TTV1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, TSV1, TPV1, TNV1, BRV1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1, AJV1