Collegiate Cyber Defense competition

XenzXenz Member Posts: 140
Hey I am curious whether any of you have ever participated in something like this. Midwest CCDC The college I am going to is actually going to try to enter this competition next year. This has got me really interested. Nothing like a challenge to make me focus on something.

Just seeing some of the names in the competition make me really interested in trying at least. Maybe this could open a few opportunities to network out and find some business contacts for work.

Not looking for any insider information, just curious whether you guys/girls found it challenging, whether there were any employers watching and looking for prospective employees, how challenging was the overall competition? Our college is somewhat at a disadvantage being a 2 year college and not too many security or systems administration majors.

Let me know if you've participated in something equivalent to this and a bit about your experience with it.
Currently working on:
CCNP, 70-620 Vista 70-290 Server 2003
Packet Tracer activities and ramblings on my blog:
http://www.sbntech.info

Comments

• novovictusnovovictus Member Posts: 192
    I know this is an old post, but looks like they are getting ready for the 2011 competition. Has anyone attempted this as Xenz asked?

See the press release:
    BLOG Mid-Atlantic CCDC
    Working on: Doctor of Information Technology Information Assurance and Security @ Capella
  • HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    I was actually in it last year for Illinois State University. It is interesting, but it was also quite a bit disorganized. If anyone has questions feel free to ask.
  • novovictusnovovictus Member Posts: 192
    Heero wrote: »
    I was actually in it last year for Illinois State University. It is interesting, but it was also quite a bit disorganized. If anyone has questions feel free to ask.

Was it a red team/blue team type scenario?

I found the rules online and unfortunately you cannot be employed full time in IT to compete. That disqualifies me.
    Working on: Doctor of Information Technology Information Assurance and Security @ Capella
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    novovictus wrote: »
    Was it a red team/blue team type scenario?

I found the rules online and unfortunately you cannot be employed full time in IT to compete. That disqualifies me.

It looks cool but I am disqualified as well for the same reason. I wonder what type of knowledge/skills it would take to do one of these competitions.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Results of the 6th National Collegiate Cyber Defense Competition (NCCDC), held April 8-10, 2011, are in: College students gather for cyber defense competition nationals April 8-10

Congratz to my local team at Cal Poly Pomona for taking first place in the West Coast Regionals! icon_cheers.gif
  • Cthu1huCthu1hu Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratz to my local team at Cal Poly Pomona for taking first place in the West Coast Regionals!

CalPoly won? Nice!! I volunteered as a room judge at this years Western Regional. Those CalPoly guys really know their stuff, was very impressed.

You other guys might not be able to compete but might be able to help out in other ways at the event. I can't speak for sure on the other regionals but its worth a shot.
    Yeah I work with the coach of the Blue team, two of the guys on the Red team, and the two guys on the Black team. They are all past Cal Poly grads and former CCDC competitors. They are all very smart, bright, fast, and know their stuff.
  • Cthu1huCthu1hu Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow small world! You might know all the people I saw up there. Some real talent on that floor on all the teams. Reassured me that this is what I want to do for a living.
    A new article on Boeing's Cyber Boot Camp and the CCDC: Cyber boot camp (Photos)