distribute-list

JASON123JASON123 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have seen many different configurations for distribute-lists and was wondering if the one I configured is correct. I have three core routers running ospf and rip is redistributing into them. Each core router has one spoke router which is running rip. I do not want routing loops so I configured distribute-lists on them. Under the ospf process I use a distribute-list 1 in command. I have access-list 1 deny (subnet of the directly connected rip routes) and then I have a access-list 1 permit 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 for the router to place the routes from the other two ospf core routers into the routing table. Does this look right? Thanks

Comments

• YankeeYankee Member Posts: 157
    Getting away from your question but it is early and I ain't awake yet. Where would you expect a routing loop from two spokes? Unless they are directly connected I don't think you have a concern.

Yankee
  • JASON123JASON123 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The three core routers are fully meshed and each core router has a spoke router attached to it running rip.
  • tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    From a design perspective you would have the spokes redistribute into the core. The core wouldn't redistribute to a spoke because it will only have one way out of the network. For reliability, the core should know every route that it needs to get to. The spoke would be setup with default route or default network statement. I would actually run ODR, eigrp stubs, or ospf totally stubby areas at the spoke.

I would redistribute the RIP process into OSPF. On the ASBR I would use a distribute list out statement. In my access-list I would permit the RIP routes and deny 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255.

The cisco recommended method for distribute lists is to use them with route maps. I usually tag the routes at the ASBR and filter based on the tag.