Just curious about IIUC

What I mean is, I read through the CCVP requirements:

CCVP - Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems

... and I see that the CCNA: Voice is a prereq.

However, when I switched over to get a feel for the CCNA:Voice at

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/voice_ccna?view=overview

... I noticed that as suggested study material, the CVOICE is recommended along with the IIUC. I don't recall seeing this happen before. Can it be assumed from this page that the material for the CVOICE is sufficient for both the IIUC and CVOICE exams? Anyone got thoughts on how I'm reading into the material on the page?
There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.

Comments

• peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikearama wrote: »
    What I mean is, I read through the CCVP requirements:

CCVP - Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems

... and I see that the CCNA: Voice is a prereq.

However, when I switched over to get a feel for the CCNA:Voice at

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/voice_ccna?view=overview

... I noticed that as suggested study material, the CVOICE is recommended along with the IIUC. I don't recall seeing this happen before. Can it be assumed from this page that the material for the CVOICE is sufficient for both the IIUC and CVOICE exams? Anyone got thoughts on how I'm reading into the material on the page?

Yes your thoughts are correct. If you take the CVOICE exam, you will fulfill the requirements for the CCNA: Voice and 1 of the 5 tests for the CCVP. The CVOICE material (to my understanding) is the CCNA:Voice material and a sleuth of additional material. HTH.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Having done both CCNA:Voice tracks (IIUC and CVOICE) I can say that Cisco have really clouded the voice path by giving the same certification to both subjects.

IIUC, or CCNA:Voice (Commercial), is based around the Unified Communications Express / Unity Express / UC5xx product lines. These are Cisco IOS based offering deployed on/in a router platform. Typically aimed at businesses with 8 to 250 staff.

CVOICE, or CCNA:Voice (Enterprise), is usually the first subject taken as part of the CCVP path. It covers configuring voice gateways that would ultimately be used as part of a larger deployment of the full Unified Communications / Unity / etc product suites. The Unified Communications products are a linux/windows based server offering (dependant on release version), typically aimed at businesses with 250 to 30,000 staff.

CVOICE really covers little from the IIUC course, other than some basic concepts and (mostly) interface/dial-peer configuration.

In some respects, IIUC could be considered CVOICE lite as it is a good entry into the world of Cisco IP telephony. While both IIUC and CVOICE will give you the same CCNA:Voice certification, each are aimed at very different markets and product lines.

I feel the original intent was good, to have IIUC as a prerequisite and a bridge from the routing and switching concepts in the CCNA into the IP telephony concepts in the CCVP path. However I believe due to a backlash of adding an extra exam to the CCVP (bringing it up to 6 exams) compared to CCNP only requiring 4 exams forced Cisco into a "rethink".
  • mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    Gents... thank you. Got it now. And based on the description, CVOICE is where I'm heading.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    azaghul wrote: »
    Having done both CCNA:Voice tracks (IIUC and CVOICE) I can say that Cisco have really clouded the voice path by giving the same certification to both subjects.

IIUC, or CCNA:Voice (Commercial), is based around the Unified Communications Express / Unity Express / UC5xx product lines. These are Cisco IOS based offering deployed on/in a router platform. Typically aimed at businesses with 8 to 250 staff.

CVOICE, or CCNA:Voice (Enterprise), is usually the first subject taken as part of the CCVP path. It covers configuring voice gateways that would ultimately be used as part of a larger deployment of the full Unified Communications / Unity / etc product suites. The Unified Communications products are a linux/windows based server offering (dependant on release version), typically aimed at businesses with 250 to 30,000 staff.

CVOICE really covers little from the IIUC course, other than some basic concepts and (mostly) interface/dial-peer configuration.

In some respects, IIUC could be considered CVOICE lite as it is a good entry into the world of Cisco IP telephony. While both IIUC and CVOICE will give you the same CCNA:Voice certification, each are aimed at very different markets and product lines.

I feel the original intent was good, to have IIUC as a prerequisite and a bridge from the routing and switching concepts in the CCNA into the IP telephony concepts in the CCVP path. However I believe due to a backlash of adding an extra exam to the CCVP (bringing it up to 6 exams) compared to CCNP only requiring 4 exams forced Cisco into a "rethink".

Very well said. If I may add one thing to expound upon the IIUC exam. If you are new to voice concepts and do not know if you want to invest the $$$ into the CCVP track the IIUC exam gives you many good fundamentals that can be applied in may different voice situations, without going into huge detail on the very large voice operation configuration. IMO IIUC and CVOICE both aim to deliver an understanding of voice concepts to be built upon, but CVOICE does it with enterprise examples and IIUC does it with small-medium business examples. If you are new to VOIP, I would suggest taking IIUC to see if you have any interest in the subject. It is what sparked my love for voice.

Also note, I polled a few months back about what exam on the CCVP track is the hardest, and the majority agreed that CVOICE was the hardest of the CCVP exam. The simple scope of the exam is alot to grasp. Just so you know.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.