Juniper Resident Engineer candidate

AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
Hey everybody,

I'm moving on from my current position, Resident Engineer for Juniper Networks, and so I'm looking for a qualified candidate to take my spot. The job is located in Edmonton Canada and would involve supporting a major telecom. Since this position is located in Canada, Canadian candidates would be preferred but US based candidates are acceptable. This is a full time salaried position that will contain full benefits, such as bonuses, health/vision/dental, paid vacation, possible relocation assistance, stock options. And lets not forget, it's working for Juniper :D

Candidates with Juniper experience and certifications would be preferred but this is not necessary. As long as a candidate has very strong networking skills and interpersonal communication skills they would be fine. Also, there's plenty of paid training and Juniper will pay for certifications.

Below is a general job description, please note that even though the description says minimum of 7 years experience this is not a hard set requirement. I had about 2 years experience when I applied and because I knew my stuff I was able to take the job. :)

Please let me know if there are any questions via PM or feel free to reply to this thread.

Job Description

Reporting to the Manager of Professional Services, Americas, this is a highly technical role, providing post-sales on-site support of Junipers Network Products. The Resident Engineer will be required to develop and maintain an expertise on the products deployed within the Customers network.

Responsibilities

This is a full-time position on-site at the customer location and may require long work hours. On-site technical support to the Customer may require the RE:

· [FONT=&quot]To hold design and information gathering workshops with the Customer to understand the Customer’s existing network design and technical requirements of new network designs.[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]To understand the Customer’s organizational structure and become familiar with the Customer’s network implementation and support processes and procedures to help in designing a network that is available and sustainable.[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]To carry out testing of new Designs, features, and functionality as required by the Customer in a laboratory environment and to help develop plans to implement and verify that they are operating correctly in the live network[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]To test patches and fixes to operating software and to ensure that they are implemented and functioning correctly in the pre-production test network and then live network as implementation plans dictate.[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]To troubleshoot equipment and network problems and to open and track JTAC cases through to problem resolution on pre and post production issues.[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]To raise equipment Return Material Authorizations (RMA’s) and to track these through to problem resolution[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]To produce a written summary report of the status of Design projects, equipment and network problems on a regular basis to the Customer[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]To hold technology workshops with the Customer to discuss equipment and network problems, and to provide case status updates, including the reasons for any problems encountered and the workarounds and/or solutions that are being tried[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]To train the Customer’s design, implementation and support personnel to configure and operate the Juniper Networks products[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]To assist the Customer to develop Network Operating and Equipment Operating Procedures[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Support design and planning of Juniper M and T Series network routing products within the Customer infrastructure[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Support ongoing efforts in defining best practice policies for Juniper product applications used by Customer[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]The Resident Engineer is expected to peer with other employees performing similar resident engineering roles where lessons learned may help minimize risk associated with major network upgrades or changes in the network.[/FONT]

The RE will be expected to develop secondary skills in other products in the Juniper product portfolio.

Base Qualifications

Candidates for this role MUST have a minimum of 7 years experience providing implementation and technical support of networking products in LAN, WAN, or Internet services environments. Candidates for this role must also have a minimum of 3 years experience designing IP networks.

Candidates for this role MUST be able to demonstrate the following competencies:

1) Detailed technical experience in the installation and operation of IP routers. This includes hands-on operation of management tools and network analyzers.
2) A detailed understanding of the protocols surrounding IP service provider networks. These skills should include: a. TCP/IP fundamentals, b. IP subnetting and supernetting and hierarchical routing principles, c. Routing protocol (OSPF, IS-IS, and BGP-4) operation, migration, and scaling mechanisms, d. Routing policies at BGP peering points, e. VPNs and the associated tunneling technologies (L2TP, MPLS, etc.),
3) A detailed understanding of Layer 2 protocols and technologies such as: ATM, Frame Relay, POS, DS0, DS1, and DS3, PPP, PPPoE, and PPPoA
4) Strong Interpersonal skills.
5) The ability to function in a team environment.
6) Hands-on configuration and operational knowledge of CISCO, Redback, Juniper Networks, Unisphere Networks, and/or Nortel Products.
7) Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and work calmly under pressure.
"Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender

Comments

• zoidbergzoidberg Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    me me me! just kidding :) i'm not ready to go back to canada yet.

congrats on the new job
  • hoogen82hoogen82 Member Posts: 272
    Congratulations Aldur...
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.
  • morpheous7411morpheous7411 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations Aldur ..... PM sent your way regarding the position.
    MCITP : Enterprise Administrator
    MCITP : Server Administrator
    CCNA : Cisco Certified Network Associate
    ITIL V3 Foundation
    CompTIA : A+, Network+, Security+, Server+

Currently working on Cisco Certified Network Professional CCNP's ROUTE Exam.
  • high1432007high1432007 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats Aldur, so you still with JNPR?
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Thanks for the congrats guys. And yup, I'll still be with Juniper, just closer to family and closer to warmer weather :D

Ahh c'mon zoidberg! You know you miss Canada... and it's freezing weather ;)

-Bender
  • asterix7579asterix7579 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Aldur,

I know it's a long time since you posted this, but I was recently offered a resident engineer position in Florida. The catch is that it's not a full time position, but a 12 month contract and they say that it'll be converted to a Juniper full-time position after 12 months.
    Do you think it's worth it? Or should I accept this job only if they offer a full-time Juniper employment?

Thanks,
    a
    Also, it would be great if you could give me a slight estimate of what salary I should be looking at. I have 7 years of experience and have the CCIE (RnS) and the JNCIP-ENT certs under my belt (and am pretty sure of knowing my stuff).

cheers!
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    From what I understand most (if not all) RE positions go that route, in which they are a contract-to-hire position. But I've never known anybody personally who went that route and wasn't hired full time. The thing to keep in mind is that even though the current customer who you are providing the RE service for might not need/want an RE there after the year contract is up, its very hard to find people with those skills. So Juniper doesn't want to lose those people and will hire them directly. This might require you to move, but you will be a full time employee with Juniper.

Salary is a good question, and it will range depending on your experience and your skills. However, you skills and experience are up there so I would expect that you get offered a really good salary. I hesitate to give a range because I don't know exactly what the market is and how salary reflects in that regards. I personally wouldn't accept anything below 6 figures for an RE gig, but I wouldn't shoot for the moon either. :D

-Bender
    thanks, Aldur! This surely is helpful.
    Will let you know how it goes.

cheers!