72-290 and MCSA

blinglondonblinglondon Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi

I am looking to take the 72-290. I am eligible for this exam as I am employee of an Institute of Higher Learning.

I have been googling for some time now and understand the 72-290 is the same exam as 70-290, the 72 is only an exam classification.

Now the question is will the 72-290 exam count towards my MCSA

Can I mix the 70 and 72 exams towards the MCSA ?

Thanks
John

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The 70 and 72 are interchangeable; 72 just notes an academic exam. The last triplet in the exam number is what matters when you're looking at the MCSA/MCSE.

Welcome to the forums.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would just add that you should take as many of th 72-xxx exams as you can as they are cheaper!
  • blinglondonblinglondon Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Guys,

I have just now spoken to Microsoft Education - UK, the lady has confirmed that I can mix and match 072 and 072 series exams. On the transcript only the 290 or 291 would be shown.
    This also gives credit towards the MCSA or the MCSE.

To summarize, the 072 series are at a reduced price compared to 072 and gives credit towards the certification.

Thanks you guys so much for all your inputs appreciate it.

Regards
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would just add that you should take as many of th 72-xxx exams as you can as they are cheaper!

With the new discount, not by much. If you buy a 5-pack, its $100 per test with free retakes. I believe the 72 exams are like $65 per test and I'm not sure if they come bundled with retakes.

But yes, you can mix and match as you please. A+, Net+, 70-270, 72-290, and 70-291 would still get you an MCSA.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    With the new discount, not by much. If you buy a 5-pack, its $100 per test with free retakes. I believe the 72 exams are like $65 per test and I'm not sure if they come bundled with retakes.
    The price varies by country. In the US they're $60. They currently include a Second Shot, but that is currently schedule to end 2010 Sep. 30. One downside is that not all MS exams have student (72 prefix) versions.
    But yes, you can mix and match as you please. A+, Net+, 70-270, 72-290, and 70-291 would still get you an MCSA.
    Correct. The MCP transcript does even not show the prefix (70 for regular exams, 71 for beta, 72 for student, 73 for IT Academy).
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■

Yes, but most students do not have $500 sitting around to spend on certs they won't take for a few months. They need all that cash for Ramen noodles.