Network+ Newbie!!!

security techsecurity tech Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all -

I just passed my Security+ exam and i would like to complete the Network+ before the end of the year. What books, practice questions, blogs, etc would you recommend for the Network+ ? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. icon_lol.gif

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The book I had for the exam Was not much help but the Labsim for Network+ was excellent.
    LabSim - Online Labs for Network+
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    +1 for LabSim, it was the only resource I used on my Network+ and scores and 870. BTW congrats on the pass on the Security+, I am sitting for mine in two weeks :)
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • cbsharpe0824cbsharpe0824 Member Posts: 153
    +2 for Labsim. Hit me up with a private message and I can email you some stuff that I used to pass the Net +. And congratulations on passing the security +! That is next for me at the end of October.
  • security techsecurity tech Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How much time should I give myself to study? I was considering sitting for the exam around November 2010
    How much time should I give myself to study? I was considering sitting for the exam around November 2010

Well, I studied for a solid 2 months before taking the exam last month and I was more than ready. It also helped that I participated in network + boot camp that my company paid for.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I studied for about 4-1/2 weeks and it was plenty. There's quite a bit of memorization involved with this test (ports, cable lengths/speeds)
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    You have mail my friend!
    You have mail my friend!

Thank You!!
    Thank You!!

You're more than welcome. Glad to be of help!icon_thumright.gif
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Study time depends on your networking experience. I studied and passed my CCENT with about 6 weeks of study, and 1 week later I took Net+ and passed it with flying colors without any direct study, but a little bit of experience in the area.

If you are new to networking, expect a few months. If you have some experience, expect around a month. If you have other networking certifications, expect less =)
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
    chmorin wrote: »
    Study time depends on your networking experience. I studied and passed my CCENT with about 6 weeks of study, and 1 week later I took Net+ and passed it with flying colors without any direct study, but a little bit of experience in the area.

If you are new to networking, expect a few months. If you have some experience, expect around a month. If you have other networking certifications, expect less =)

I have some experience, so I think I will give it 2 months.

Thanks!
  • ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    I studied for 4 weeks using only the LabSim for it.
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • chuckleschuckles Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the S+ pass! I hope to take mine in a few weeks. For N+ I used the Lammle book as my primary source (867/900). But I also used multiple practice exams and the ExamCram as a backup reference.
    chuckles wrote: »
    Congrats on the S+ pass! I hope to take mine in a few weeks. For N+ I used the Lammle book as my primary source (867/900). But I also used multiple practice exams and the ExamCram as a backup reference.

Thanks! for the S+, I would recommend using Darril Gibson's book. You can order it on Amazon and it's really cheap.