Options

Desktop Analyst

gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi everyone, I have an interview for this position on Monday and I was wondering if this type of position would be something more hands on and more of a variety then a call center. I had trouble with the contract position b/c it was a contract for 2 months and the call center supported over 800 applications that I had no clue on how to support and there was really no SOP's to help. This job however pays around 35,000 and this would be my first permanent job out of college. Any feedback would be appreciated any advice on the best way of getting comfortable going into a new job.

Thanks!

Desktop Analyst
Title: Desktop Analyst Installs, troubleshoots, repairs and maintains desktop services and equipment. Provides reports, completes requests for new service, determines methodology for installing desktop services. Requires an associate's degree or its equivalent and 0-5 years of experience in the field or in a related area. Has knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field.

Installs, troubleshoots, repairs and maintains desktop services and equipment.

Clearly articulates situations and opportunities to IT Management in both spoken and written form.

Provides reports, completes requests for new service, determines methodology for installing desktop services.

Maintain desktop infrastructure (services and equipment) to ensure maximum availability for company utilization.

Support and maintain information technology infrastructure as required through:
Change Management
Proactive desktop Availability/Performance Monitoring
Maintenance of desktop Design and Configuration
Performance of desktop Quality Assurance
Desktop Device Break-fix Perform Diagnosis and Problem Fix
Maintain Inventory Information of desktop Services and Equipment
Perform Software Distribution to desktop Devices
Maintain Maintenance Contract Information for Desktops
Perform Service Management of Desktops
Maintain Security of Desktop Services and Equipment
Perform Backup/Recovery of Desktop Equipment
Audit Desktop related purchases and invoices
Travel, as required, to meet requirements of position.

Comments

• Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Looks like a break-fix type job. Basically supporting problems the end user has, setting up systems, etc.

Sounds like my current job. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are you learning a lot with the job?
  • Options
    bighuskerbighusker Member Posts: 147
    Nobody here is going to be able to tell you what the job entails. A "Desktop Analyst" at one company might do something completely different than a "desktop analyst" at another company. All you can do is read the job description, research the company, and draw your own conclusions. Any questions you still have can be addressed at the interview. Good luck.
  • Options
    bighusker said it best. The description you gave is...pretty descriptive. It seems that they spell out fairly well what it is you'll be doing.

As for your question, yes, I have learned a lot since I've been at my current job.
  • Options
    shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    That is the same job I have but it pays alot more.

If you are good with fixing easy things you will have no trouble with the job.

The only trouble I had was learning how to install the special software that the state uses. They use software that is not off the shelf.

But, I think the biggest thing you'll learn is how easy "end-user" can mess up a good system.

My favorite is when they call the help desk because there computers don't work. When I go to look at it I find that the power was turned off icon_lol.gif . They are so used to just logging off and leaving the PC's on that when they get shut down they don't know what to do.
  • Options
    But, I think the biggest thing you'll learn is how easy "end-user" can mess up a good system.

Amen.