Cyber Security vs Information Assurance

ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
I was looking at both degree plans for UMUC online and could not realize the difference between the two. The CS plan has undergrad as well as grad programs but the IA is only available as a specialization for grads.

It seems to me the IA plan is more technical than the CS degree. Seems they might have added CS to jump on some kind of bandwagon.

Anyone currently attending for this? They should get rid of one of these or combine them. The job titles they listed are the same except for CS they add Cyber in front of it, what the hell.

I looked at some of the course descriptions and some seem like they belong in the other plan or vice versa.

What would hold more weight in the real world? Im thinking CS program would only be good for specific defense related jobs that have Cyber in the title.

Comments

• CrapMasterZeroCrapMasterZero Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok, I work in IA in the DoD. When I think of "Cyber" security I think more of internet/network/computer security. IA, in my opinion, is a broader field and includes the fields mentioned above plus compliance (C&A, FISMA etc.), crypto, key management etc. I am not sure if this is the correct distinction though.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ok, I work in IA in the DoD. When I think of "Cyber" security I think more of internet/network/computer security. IA, in my opinion, is a broader field and includes the fields mentioned above plus compliance (C&A, FISMA etc.), crypto, key management etc. I am not sure if this is the correct distinction though.

Yeah that is what I have experienced. I currently work in IA and its a lot of paperwork and documentation.
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have considered Information Assurance more on the side of management, and always a defensive side of the security world. While Cyber Security was more on the technical side of security and can bleed over to offensive. This is just my broad (very broad) overview of them.
  • ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It looks to me like UMUC has it messed up because the IA degree seems more technical. You have to get a degree in IT first and then specialize in IA for the masters. With the CS degree I see more criminal courses and management related courses than more offensive tech courses.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It looks to me like UMUC has it messed up because the IA degree seems more technical. You have to get a degree in IT first and then specialize in IA for the masters. With the CS degree I see more criminal courses and management related courses than more offensive tech courses.

Three months ago I was thinking about grabbing a second bachelors in a science (I had come out with Criminology and Criminal Justice from UMD). The Information Assurance degree has been converted to a certificate, at least last I heard from my first counselor. Cybersecurity would be the new route.
    I agree, just remember that you need 37 electives if you don't already have them filled up.

I would leave in a good portion of the stuff but add maybe 2 programming classes, some sort of OS architecture class , and touch on networking a bit more then they are. That is if they left it up to me. It seems like they are emphasizing the social/psychological aspect of it, when I consider that a more minor area of it.
  • CrapMasterZeroCrapMasterZero Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    wastedtime wrote: »
    I have considered Information Assurance more on the side of management, and always a defensive side of the security world. While Cyber Security was more on the technical side of security and can bleed over to offensive. This is just my broad (very broad) overview of them.

DoD IAWF has both management and technical people including architects, sys admins, CND....IA isn't just management. It's just more broad, that's all. I would say Cyber Security can be thought of as a subset in the IA discipline.
    Yeah, I would for sure beef up the CS degree with courses in programming. They have Perl, C, Java as well as some OS courses too for the electives.
    wastedtime wrote: »
    DoD IAWF has both management and technical people including architects, sys admins, CND....IA isn't just management. It's just more broad, that's all. I would say Cyber Security can be thought of as a subset in the IA discipline.

I am perfectly aware of DoD IAWF. Almost the last 5 years I have been in the IAT I, II and IAM I. Filling positions such as IASO, IMO, SA, NM (don't care to spell them out). While IA does encompass CND it doesn't do the rest of CNO. The areas of CNA and CNE are left out. Now I would consider CNO more or less another term for Cyber Security job areas. This is just my opinion.
    I think they should call it Cyber Security AND Information Assurance or a BSCSIA