IT job search

MrWilsonMrWilson Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
jaffas21 wrote:
gojobsite.co.uk is a good site in the uk as is www.jobserve.com

i got my job at IBM through job site

Hi jaffas21

Just seen the above post. Did you have any commercial experience in IT prior to getting your job at IBM? What certifications did you have at the time also?

Sorry for being nosy, I've just completed my A+, moving on to Net+ next and working towards an MCSA so possibly a similar path as yourself. Only problem is I've got no actual relative work experience and am therefore not recieving much attention from prospective employers!

I am just trying to be realistic as to what sort of role I can expect to start in.

I will obviously also be grateful for any suggestions from anyone else! :D

Thanks

AndyW

Comments

• cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    AndyWilsonEsq, I have the exact same problem that you have. I'm 19 and have absolutely zero work experience. My suggestion is to apply to anything that you can find. I've been doing this for quite some time, but have only had the employer call me on several occasions. It seems to be very hard to get into the field without experience, but just don't give up. Something is bound to turn up sooner or later, at least that's the approach I'm taking. While you're job searching be sure that you're getting more and more certifications, because it gets harder for employers to say no when they see that you have MCSE for a PC Tech position. Let me know how the searching goes.

Cheeblie
  • headcaseheadcase Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am A+ certified, working on my Net+ and I have a years experience working. I haven't been able to land a job for months now. It is horrible, but I hope some day my luck will change. In the meantime, I am going to get more certs.
  • imfrom51imfrom51 Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My suggestion is to apply to anything that you can find
    This is a great suggestion. Also send your cv/resume to companies that you would like to work for but have not advertised for positions. Upto 70% of jobs are not advertised so there are a ton of jobs out there. A cover letter introducing yourself and experience (remember your certified! and don't put yourself down just because you don't have experience).I've found that many companies say that they want 1, 2, 3 years experience, but are willing to hire someone that is certified and has no experience. Don't put yourself down. You know alot more than most
    people
    Hope this gets you motivated
  • trick000trick000 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If all else fails, join the military. They'll hire anyone unless you're on a wheelchair. Navy would be the best choice. They have a great IT department and it would give you a minimum of 4 years of experience! icon_cool.gif
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    imfrom51 wrote:
    (remember your certified! and don't put yourself down just because you don't have experience)

I agree, confidence is very important when applying for a job. If you studied hard for your certs, you do know a lot, but besides that you have a basis on which you can depend in various IT jobs. In the early days of my IT career, I had something like: throw me in deep water and I will rise to the surface. The trick is to convince an employer you can swim ;)
  • MrWilsonMrWilson Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for all your words of encouragement. The industry can seem mighty ferocious to the mere newbie! icon_wink.gif

I've been applying to anything and everything relevant, I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again! :D
    Oh, by the way, don't join the Navy for IT experience. I have a friend that's in the Navy and he works in IT. His lone task is changing passwords for people that are locked out of their accounts. Too many people and not enough jobs lead to this. Save yourself and don't join :D .

Cheeblie
    cheeblie wrote:
    Oh, by the way, don't join the Navy for IT experience. I have a friend that's in the Navy and he works in IT. His lone task is changing passwords for people that are locked out of their accounts. Too many people and not enough jobs lead to this. Save yourself and don't join :D .

Cheeblie

What is his rank? At least 4 years U.S. Navy + an IT rating looks really good in an IT resume no matter what you did. Also, I think you get to have at least a Secret security clearance. Besides, they train you for free and pay you at the same time. Also when I left, I believe the retention/sign in bonus for IT was around $20k if not more. That was in 2002.

But of course there are the bad things that come along with being in the military. Less freedom, more rules to follow, more hassles to deal with.. etc. etc... but if you're jobless, that's not so bad.
  • LexxdymondzLexxdymondz Member Posts: 356
    I just got out of the army about a year ago as an E-5. I have a secret security clearance, lucent fiber certified and fusion splicing certified, not to mention I have a FCC license. I also have 4 yrs telecom experience installing T-1 and T-3 lines, as well as installing and troubleshooting military equivilant switches, but unfortunately no real job. I'm running my parents company's network (getting paid as a secretary) and studying my ass off to keep getting certs. Whats worse is that I'm changing job professions to become a Notary signing agent (for the money of course) and will keep getting my certs because its one of the only hobbies/professions that I really love to do. Seems like the IT job market is really going to ****, but I am happy that at least I have a job for now.
  • pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    Join the airforce.. Get a guarenteed job in IT. They are hurting for IT dudes. you will work on some of the worlds best equipment. You will get a secret clearence. They also pay for training for you to get certified. They will pay you your normal pay and then send you to IT classes.. If i'm not mistaken they have an enlistment bonus right now too. Oh yeah. When you get out.. The rest of the IT industry is kinda crappy right now. But defence contracting is booming.. I have a friend who was a Jets guy.(worked on the engines) He came in to work the office a bit and went to the computer room. Basically all he did was help desk. He studied and got his NT msce and then when the free upgrade came around he took that and got his 2000. He got out and is now working overseas (kuwait) make around 90K. all he has is an mcse!!!

Ive got one year left in the AF. I am going to knock as many certs as I can out and then head his way.. (hopefully) The security clearence is the big thing..

pandimus
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
    pandimus, how do you obtain security clearance without joining the military? Is it some kind of extensive background test to see if you're a psycho/traitor? I imagine it would be very helpful to have but isn't it only needed for government jobs? Give me info please :D !

Cheeblie
    I am not sure exactly.. But I am sure you couldnt afford it. I think they are around 60 grand to get one. (not possitive that expensive, But I know they are expensive)

Pandimus
    I just checked and it is expensive, but not nearly that expensive. I was reading that Secret Clearance is anywhere from a few hundred to $3000 and takes 1 - 3 months. Top Secret Clearance is $3000 to $15000 and takes 4 - 8 months.

Cheeblie
  • LexxdymondzLexxdymondz Member Posts: 356
    I actually was thinking of going back in to the service. Right now with the way the industry is looking.......anyway good luck on a clearance if your not in the military, its hard enough for some of the people in the military to get clearances.......a friend of mine waited 2+yrs for his clearance because of a mishap when he was a young teenager. They go back so many years depending on what kind of clearance you are getting or that the job requires. One job I was applying for a clearance with went back 10+yrs and I sat through 3 grueling interviews.....no fun at all. They also check your family background also im pretty sure....
    It could be worth it...

I thought it was hella xpensive I will ask around at work tonight
    I think for now I probably won't need it considering I'm an entry-level PC Technician. Unless some guys in black suits come to be and ask me to help them get some data off of a hard drive, I think I'll be fine :D .

Cheeblie
    Yes.. if you have any convictions. you can forget it.. If you have family ties in the mob.. forget it.. The paperwork for my clearence was a pain in the ass. I had to remember like 10 years before..
    If you have DWI/DUI forget it, if you're not a US citizen forget it.