R2S's Race to the Finish: Linux+/LPIC-1 Thread

rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
I am deciding to attempt the impossible. I will attempt to go for the Linux+ certification before its expiration on October 31st.

Current study materials:
Sybex LPIC-1 by Roderick Smith
CBT Nuggets Linux+
VMware 7.0 with several Linux distros (SuSe, CentOS, Ubuntu, BackTrack4 etc.)
Practical Guide To Linux by Mark Sobell

If I do not feel comfortable enough by October 18th, I will just opt for the LPIC-1 exam route and slow the studying down.

Wish me luck! Any study tips or suggestions would be much appreciated :)

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good luck man. I think you can do this.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • krauserkrauser Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You will pass the test, but I recommend you to do the LPIC-1.
    The final choice is yours, good luck.

4+ distros? OMG icon_thumright.gif
  • ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    Good for you.

And krauser is right; that's a lot of distros. None of them are even related or derivatives of each other.

P.S. The new Linux+ exam sounds nifty since it works for LPIC-1, too.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Cool! I'm going to enjoy this thread! :)
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You really just need to study one rpm-based distribution. There will be rpm questions on the exam, but I don't think there will be questions on yum or up2date (CentOS/RHEL), or yast (SUSE), so studying both distributions isn't necessary.

You also need only one deb-based distribution. Ubuntu is fine since there will be questions on apt and other Debian package commands on the exam. I think Backtrack is also based on Debian so studying it and Ubuntu is probably unnecessary. Good luck.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Good luck! As for any special recommendations, if you've never configured Apache or Samba or just basic client networking you are maybe facing some long nights ahead. Ye old L+ is much broader than LPIC-1 and according to those that took that exam, can be tricky and with wordy questions. By contrast, LPI exams require deeper understanding and questions are straightforward without lending themselves to misinterpretation. I'd focus on studying Linux in general and some particular tasks that I may be asked on the job rather than just chase the objectives and then let the skills rust.
    I'm guessing r2s aims at saving $160 required for 102 and wants to kill two flies in a single stroke?
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Indeed varel :). Thank you all for your encouragement. The push to victory starts tomorrow!

I'm hoping to finish the LPIC book in under 1.5 weeks, watch 2 vids a day, and lab throughout the reading/vid watching process (probably close to 3 hours a day). I've been infrequently using linux over the last year but I know enough to get around it.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You really just need to study one rpm-based distribution. There will be rpm questions on the exam, but I don't think there will be questions on yum or up2date (CentOS/RHEL), or yast (SUSE), so studying both distributions isn't necessary.

You also need only one deb-based distribution. Ubuntu is fine since there will be questions on apt and other Debian package commands on the exam.

This is exactly the advice I was going to give.
    I think Backtrack is also based on Debian so studying it and Ubuntu is probably unnecessary. Good luck.

Correct.
    dynamik wrote: »
    This is exactly the advice I was going to give.

Got ya. I think since my material is spread out across both exams I may have a better chance at defeating this exam given the current time conditions. I am always nervous when it comes to scheduling exams but once I'm in front of that CompTIA computer, my focus is absolute and nothing can stop me :)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Are you just trying to take the CompTIA exam before it retires, so you only have to take one exam? Are you interested in going further with LPI?
    I'm trying to take the exam before it expires; naturally I'm all about 2 for 1 deals. Another reason I want to take this exam is because lately I haven't been focused in terms of what direction my studying is taking me (I've been bouncing between MS, Linux, and Cisco). Having an exam this immediate on the plate will force me stay focused on just one subject.

I definitely will look into LPIC-2 when it comes time for renewal but I don't think I'll go for the level 3 when it comes out unless I somehow move into Unix/Linux Administration as a fulltime position.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The existing (2004/2009) Linux+ doesn't give you credit for the LPIC-1.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
    The existing (2004/2009) Linux+ doesn't give you credit for the LPIC-1.

My heart sunk after reading the CompTIA site lol.
    A new benefit for CompTIA Linux+ Powered by LPI candidates is that they may choose, at the time they take the exams, to have their exam record forwarded to the Linux Professional Institute. Certification in CompTIA Linux+ Powered by LPI enables candidates to become certified in LPIC-1 as well, enabling further participation in the LPI program if the candidate chooses. Please note that CompTIA maintains candidate-confidential records for all exam takers, for their own access and use for employment or educational purposes. Any choice to forward an exam record to LPI is made only by the candidate.
    So I guess I have to take the "powered by LPI" version (two exam route). Krauser is right. I'm still going to try and crank it out before October ends but we'll see (worst case scenario I take an extra month).
    I think you can knock the LPIC-1 out in one month if you just focus and commit yourself to the task.
    We're rooting for you.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    earweed wrote: »
    I think you can knock the LPIC-1 out in one month if you just focus and commit yourself to the task.
    We're rooting for you.

Thank you man. I think I can do it too. I'll keep the same study schedule; even though the Linux+ stuff is older its still relevant to the new tests I would assume.
  • L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    Go get em! You should be able to knock that right out.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
    Go get em! You should be able to knock that right out.

Thanks bro.

Study Update:
    • Watched 4/37 CBT videos and took it slow with the ls command.
    • Going to start reading and labbing chapters one and two of the Sybex LPIC-1 book (I hope to get two cover to cover reads before the test)
    • I may take the LX-101 and LX-102 a week apart but I'll study for both up until the first test's date.
    I actually have this on my "to do" list. First finish the MCITP:EA for WGU then finish WGU > CCECNT>CCNA> LPIC 1+2. Meanwhile I've been reading and labbing from a pretty good book Amazon.com: Linux Administration: A Beginner's Guide, Fifth Edition (9780071545884): Wale Soyinka: Books which hopefully will help me out if I get an IT job that has any Linux involved.
    earweed wrote: »
    I actually have this on my "to do" list. First finish the MCITP:EA for WGU then finish WGU > CCECNT>CCNA> LPIC 1+2. Meanwhile I've been reading and labbing from a pretty good book Amazon.com: Linux Administration: A Beginner's Guide, Fifth Edition (9780071545884): Wale Soyinka: Books which hopefully will help me out if I get an IT job that has any Linux involved.

Awesome. I'm not underestimating the tests but I think in the end it won't be too bad after I've studied all the material twice. I'm going to give it the fight of its life!
    Update (9/22/2010):

• Completed Chapter 1 and scored 18/20 on the end of chapter quiz
    • I need to focus on the obscure switches sed, nl, and cat
    • Moving on to Chapter 2 (3 videos left to watch today)
    Practice makes perfect (sed) script author. Some *nix forums have a subforum dedicated only to sed. Sed is fun and although looks cryptic at first, it's very easy to grokk it. The Sobell's guide to linux scripting has excellent chapter on sed. I am sure you'll crack it quickly.
    And yes, know thy cat. And tac. Not sure if they're on the old L+ list of objectives, but they're handy on terminal. Unfortunately, nl is... icon_rolleyes.gif
    varelg wrote: »
    Practice makes perfect (sed) script author. Some *nix forums have a subforum dedicated only to sed. Sed is fun and although looks cryptic at first, it's very easy to grokk it. The Sobell's guide to linux scripting has excellent chapter on sed. I am sure you'll crack it quickly.
    And yes, know thy cat. And tac. Not sure if they're on the old L+ list of objectives, but they're handy on terminal. Unfortunately, nl is... icon_rolleyes.gif

Got ya. I love the appendix sections of the Sobell book. It'll be easier to remember the command switches because the outputs are there too.
    Update (9/23/2010):

• 16/37 videos watched
    • The more I'm seeing the videos, the easier its getting to remember the basic uses of the commands.
    • I will work on chapters 2-4 in Sybex through Saturday instead of watching the CBTs and resume watching them on Monday.
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Good luck with the studying it looks like you are making good progress.
    Good luck with the studying it looks like you are making good progress.

Study Update:

• I started reading chapter two (starts with RPM, moves to YUM, and is probably going to end with tars and DPKG).
    • I've been sick the last week and have been trying to barrel through this but my body is saying slow down. I'm probably going to take a week off; I'm way ahead of schedule as it is though.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So are you no longer going for the old Linux+? Looks like you are coming along nicely. Great job!
    So are you no longer going for the old Linux+? Looks like you are coming along nicely. Great job!

Thanks man. I thought the old exam would give you both. I'm still trying to aim for the same date I laid out in the beginning. If I feel uncomfortable towards the end, I'll at least get the LX101 done early and figure out how I feel about LX102 later.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks man. I thought the old exam would give you both. I'm still trying to aim for the same date I laid out in the beginning. If I feel uncomfortable towards the end, I'll at least get the LX101 done early and figure out how I feel about LX102 later.

Cool. What do you think of the sybex book? I am looking at the Oriley one along with the other stuff I have (Linux scripting, linux admin beginners guide) and I think it will be enough. The Oriley book doesn't come with a testing engine though icon_sad.gif
    So far the Sybex book reminds me of the Practical Guide just smaller lol. The nice thing about the guide vs the Sybex is it gives you literally every single command and their respective outputs in the back of the book.
    I've been sick the last week and have been trying to barrel through this but my body is saying slow down.
    Eeeeh, isn't the bug annoying it comes when you least need it, I hope you feel better, maybe it's a good- luck virus who knows icon_wink.gif
    As for the lack of test engine, you can easily and comfortably substitute poor MeasureUps and other failed "test" engines with the online free one at penguintutor, level of difficulty is very close to the real thing, at least for the LPI exams.