Options

Highest usefulness to time invested ratio certifications?

feng.lianfeng.lian Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello. Although there is no doubt in my mind that I will eventually get the MCSE 2003 and the MCITP EA and that there is a great demand in the labor market for those, they do require 7 and 5 exams respectively which is quite an investment in time. I have done the CCNA in two exams and I think those have a very good usefulness to time invested ratio since I recently started looking for work.

Since I only started studying for the 70-680, I was thinking maybe I should just pass that one exam, then delay a little for the MCSE and go after Linux, A+, Security+ and SQL certifications instead. What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I think it's all a nice learning experience to you. Best thing is to go for a cert where you have a chance to get immediate hands-on (on the job) experience.

If you work at a place where there are a lot of Microsoft technologies utilized, then go for MCSE ,and get hands on experience as much as possible. Setup a homelab and practice.

All those certs are useful in the long run, specially when combined with the right hands-on experience.

My personal opinion, MCSE would be a better investment than Sec+, A+, and SQL...so I suggest you finish the MCSE first if you can.

Good luck icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    in case you haven't seen it on here already, the comptia trinity is good for life if you get it this year, so if you are considering A+ or Security+, you should go for it in 2010
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    feng.lianfeng.lian Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What's the third member of the trinity? Network+?

Anyway, the reason I'm asking this is because as I'm studying for the 70-680, I find myself kinda bored. Learning about Cisco was totally fun and the IOS is so easy and intuitive. I wish I could just move on to CCNP or a CCNA specialty, but at this level of my career, I don't nearly have enough experience to make a CCNP much more useful than a CCNA.

I think I'm going to finish up 70-680 and then use A+ as a sort of R&R and then continue my grueling battle with the MCSE. Thanks for the advices all.

(Edit: I just saw on another post that if you get A+ or Security+ before Jan 1, 2011, it's for life. I didn't quite understand that point when you were saying it. Hmm, I think I'm going to switch to A+ now. Does the time limit apply for Network+, Linux+, Server+ and all other CompTIA certifications too? Boy, that leaves me less than 3 month and a half to get all of those. Still, I thrive under pressure and maybe that is a good thing to get me motivated to learn even faster.)

(Edit2: I just read on Wikipedia that A+, Network+ and Security+ can serve as elective for MCSE. I can't believe I missed that when I was reading for the MCSE requirements. Looks like I'll be progressing toward my MCSE for free when I earn those.)

(Edit3: A quick google search indicates that the expiration is going to be for A+, Security+ and Network+.)
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    feng.lian wrote: »
    Hello. Although there is no doubt in my mind that I will eventually get the MCSE 2003 and the MCITP EA and that there is a great demand in the labor market for those, they do require 7 and 5 exams respectively which is quite an investment in time.
    If you do the MCSE with 7 exams, and use the 680 as the client exam, you can upgrade to MCITP EA with only two exams (the upgrade exam, 649; and the MCITP exam, 647).
    Upgrade Paths
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you work for or with the government Security+ is almost mandatory.

Any of the certs mentioned are great bang for the buck. As UnixGuy already mentioned the job you are shooting for and the pay level you want to achieve will dictate what certification is the best target for time to be invested.

As for jobs that pay well that want certifications I see these all the time:
    Cisco (esp CCNP, CCVP, CCIE), MCSE, RHCT, RHCE, VCP, VCDX, MCITP, CISSP, CISA and GIAC (most of them).
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    I might suggest to go directly for MCITP (Windows 2008 Server) certification. CCNA plus MCITP is a great combination. Eventhough 70-680 is quite boring compared to CCNA studies, you need to focus on Windows 7 troubleshooting. Then look for a technical support/helpdesk support job for a starter. After getting the job, finish your MCITP.