Exam Query

Please could someone explain the differences between the Exam 70-659 and the Exam 70-652.

I've ordered a book (cheaply) on the 652 as below but may have bought the wrong one?

MCTS Self-Placed Training Kit (Exam 70-652): Configuring Windows Server Virtualization Book/CD Package" Danielle Ruest; Paperback; £7.98

Thanks

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    TS: Windows Server Virtualization, Configuring 70-652
    TS: Windows Server 2008 R2, Server Virtualization 70-659

You got the book that MS recommends for the 652. Depends on which test you want to take.

You take either of these and the 70-669 and 70-693 to get the MCITP:Server 2008 R2 Virtualization Administrator MCITP (Microsoft Certified IT Professional) | Training Courses for IT Professionals
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    Earweed knows. :)
    I was considerring going down that path after I finish the MCITP:EA since I studied so much on Hyper-V while setting up my lab box and studying for the 70-643 but I've decided to switch gears and go the Cisco route for a CCNA after my EA is done. I've got an extra MS voucher I've been floating (hopefully I pass the 643 Tuesday) and if I stiil have it I may just use it to get the MCITP:SA.
    I gained a lot of extra Virtualization knowledge using the book neath has and the Hyper V resources kit and the 70-652 study guide I got from evanderburg.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    I must add though, check the job market in your area before you go down windows virtualisation path, I have yet to see a single job ad asking for anything other than VMware experience when it comes to virtualisation.
    Likewise here. Jobs don't tend to list Windows specific virtualization (even though they may use it) and that's one of the reasons why I studied it yet don't plan to test on it.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you use a study guide for the 652 exam, take the 652 exam. The 659 exam covers much more than the 652. In particular the 659 has a heavy emphasis on R2-specific features and enterprise-level topics.

If you want to take the 659 and don't want to buy a 659-specific book since you already have the 652 book, buy Mastering Microsoft Virtualization from Sybex. This one book actually covers everything you need for 652, 659, 669, 693, and 403 (the entire MCITP: VA, and then some). Alternatively, reading the 652 book and a lot of Technet articles covering features specific to Hyper-V 2008 R2 may work.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    Thanks for the replies.

After reading though a bit of advice here, I've actually ordered two books

1) (SYBEX) Mastering Microsoft Virtualization: Using Hyper-V, Terminal Services, and SoftGrid" Tim Cerling; Paperback; £20.45

2) MCTS Self-Placed Training Kit (Exam 70-652): Configuring Windows Server Virtualization Book/CD Package" Danielle Ruest; Paperback; £7.98

I'm only trying to learn a bit more about hyper-v as we have gone down that route at work (its a high school), and I need to get up to speed on this topic. Who knows about exams, I'm not ruling them out - we'll see how it goes.

Appreciate the comments regarding job market and VMware although i've not got any job moves planned at present but its a funny world.