Options

Is M. Meyers' Network+ Passport ed. the best "small" book?

hrbngrhrbngr Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
hello,

I would like to certify for the Net+/A+ along with the Security+ that I am currently working on by EOY 2010 like many others here at the forums. I have 10+ yrs experience in network engineering as well as building my own PCs since the mid 90's and was looking for books or software with just the basic exam topics for a refresher and exam prep.

From what I have read on this and the A+ forum--as well as Amazon.com--Mike Meyers' CompTIA Network+ Certification Passport, Third Edition and either the 3rd(674 pages) or 4th ed.(832 pages) of the A+ books are my best bet, but at 464 pages, still a little larger/longer than I was hoping for. Are there any other resource materials that are more concise than these--while still being accurate?

I am guessing that transcender or measure up pre-tests would be good, but without a reference book, I might not have enough info to understand the more rarely discussed topics.

thanks in advance for any tips/advice!

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    steve2012steve2012 Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used the Sybex review guides along with the study guides.

The A+ review holds around 450 pages while the Net+ review is around 250.

Either way you look at it, review guides are condensed, but they still have alot of info to cover.

Cheers.

Steve
  • Options
    Steve,
    thanks for the feedback, so to confirm the Net+ book you are discussing is "CompTIA Network+ Review Guide: (Exam: N10-004)" by Bill Ferguson? That has received several good reviews--though limited feedback--on amazon.com. The A+ review book by Cybex has been panned in comparison. So I will probably buy the Net+ review book and look for another "review" condensed format book for the A+ test.
  • Options
    cbsharpe0824cbsharpe0824 Member Posts: 153
    I could also shoot you some resources if you like via email...

Just let me know...
  • Options
    cbsharpe,
    thanks for the update, any resources would be great. I added you as a contact but not sure how to PM on this site--if that is possible.
  • Options
    badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    hrbngr wrote: »
    hello,

I would like to certify for the Net+/A+ along with the Security+ that I am currently working on by EOY 2010 like many others here at the forums. I have 10+ yrs experience in network engineering as well as building my own PCs since the mid 90's and was looking for books or software with just the basic exam topics for a refresher and exam prep.

From what I have read on this and the A+ forum--as well as Amazon.com--Mike Meyers' CompTIA Network+ Certification Passport, Third Edition and either the 3rd(674 pages) or 4th ed.(832 pages) of the A+ books are my best bet, but at 464 pages, still a little larger/longer than I was hoping for. Are there any other resource materials that are more concise than these--while still being accurate?

I am guessing that transcender or measure up pre-tests would be good, but without a reference book, I might not have enough info to understand the more rarely discussed topics.

thanks in advance for any tips/advice!

Did you end up using this Network+ Passport book?? If so how'd you like it?? This book is available at my local library so I might get it...
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)