Looking to take Security+ Soon

DPOLISHSENSATIONDPOLISHSENSATION Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Like I'm sure a lot of people are, I'm scrambling to get my Security+ by the end of this year before the exam starts expiring. I meant to take this exam a long time ago but kept putting it off and here we are. I have a Sybex SY0-101 book which I'm currently reading but I understand that the exam is now SY0-201.

My question is, how much has the material changed with the new exam and do you think I can get away with studying the SY0-101 book and doing some practice tests?

Also, is the Security+ book everyone is raving out?

Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide (9781439236369): Darril Gibson: Books

I will consider purchasing it if it is as great as everyone says and helps you pass. :)

Comments

• erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Also, is the Security+ book everyone is raving out?

Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide (9781439236369): Darril Gibson: Books

I will consider purchasing it if it is as great as everyone says and helps you pass. :)

There is a reason why people are touting this book. Seriously, just buy it, read and study it, perform all the end-of-chapter exams. If you get below 80% (and most people don't), just go back to that chapter. But this book by itself will help you pass the exam. You need at max two weeks with it...tops!
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    erpadmin wrote: »
    There is a reason why people are touting this book. Seriously, just buy it, read and study it, perform all the end-of-chapter exams. If you get below 80% (and most people don't), just go back to that chapter. But this book by itself will help you pass the exam. You need at max two weeks with it...tops!

agreed. i haven't taken it yet just because i've been focusing on my cisco track, but yes, darill's book is all you need to pass.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • cbsharpe0824cbsharpe0824 Member Posts: 153
    erpadmin wrote: »

Speaking of Darril's book...I should have it in my hands by tomorrow. Can't wait!!!:D
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i got the kindle version and i must say it is a very easy read and explains every thing nicely

a tip for you read the crypto chapter twice

also on the comptia web site they offer a 30 question pre-test for free
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • security techsecurity tech Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Purchase the book..You will not regret it....Trust us...:D
    i got the kindle version and i must say it is a very easy read and explains every thing nicely

a tip for you read the crypto chapter twice

also on the comptia web site they offer a 30 question pre-test for free

The Kindle version was awesome and I did read the crypto chapter a number of times. ALSO, if you do use Transcenders, TAKE ADVANTAGE of the Flash card feature and focus it just on cryptography. Once I got crypto down, everything fell into place. Seriously, I personally can't tout this book enough, because I know like many folks, I was very skeptical about how this one book could help in this specific exam. After I went through it personally, I understood why.

So to new people (I will never refer to you as a "noob or newbie....lol"), trust and believe this is really the only guide you need. Buy it, read it, study it (and do the end of chapter practice exams! 85% or better is great!), schedule exam, pass exam.

The only thing I'm not going to promise is what score you get. I've seen stuff from 760-880 (and maybe a couple of 900s). I will promise that if you do what I stated in that last sentence in the second paragraph, you will pass. It's that simple.
  • WizardofWarWizardofWar Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ive lurked here from time to time myself and bought the kindle version of Darril's book as well, Couldn't beat the price of $9.99. I'm also in a 5 week 40 hour class using the ILT book which I really dont care for after reading through Darril's first 8 chapters. I'm planning on taking the test I believe in mid Oct. I figure in 4 weeks of the school and studying Darril's book it should be more then enough time I hope. Just trying to retain the info from his book the first time and will go back to the stuff I'm not all certain on. It really is an easy read and I have just been taking it slow since I have the time and doing a chapter a day at the moment. I will probably goto some practice tests as well after finishing reading his book.
  • joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You should still supplement Darril's book with something just to be safe.... I used Darrils Book and Transcender and got 855 with a 2 week period of study time.

Granted I knew a lot of the information already, the exam isn't easy. I'm afraid of people getting overconfident about it. It's not an easy exam.
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • redmossbergredmossberg Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I went with everyone here and just purchased his book. I'm taking my 70-290 today and then on to security+
    A.A.S. Computer Network Systems
    B.S. Information System Security
  • WizardofWarWizardofWar Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You should still supplement Darril's book with something just to be safe.... I used Darrils Book and Transcender and got 855 with a 2 week period of study time.

Granted I knew a lot of the information already, the exam isn't easy. I'm afraid of people getting overconfident about it. It's not an easy exam.

This exam I agree isn't going to be easy if you dont read through a book. Ive read through Darrils book and then did the 78 questions at the front and still got 15 wrong so I have to keep studying it. There is a lot of info to remember and I really had very little security experience. I didn't bother doing the questions in the front because I knew I didn't know any of it when I started. Now I'm starting to get there. Still a little ways to go. I want to just go take it now but I believe I will just keep going over the info and take it in about 3 weeks from now.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This exam I agree isn't going to be easy if you dont read through a book. Ive read through Darrils book and then did the 78 questions at the front and still got 15 wrong so I have to keep studying it. There is a lot of info to remember and I really had very little security experience. I didn't bother doing the questions in the front because I knew I didn't know any of it when I started. Now I'm starting to get there. Still a little ways to go. I want to just go take it now but I believe I will just keep going over the info and take it in about 3 weeks from now.

Depends on your experience. I used Transcender and Trainsignal along with Darrils book, but I know I could have done it with just the books. I only watched like 3 videos and listened to 5 or 6 more while running/biking. I ran through a couple Transcender's, but quickly discredited them due to them not being very close to the actual exam.

Use something else if you can, but Darril's book alone should be more than enough to pass.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I ran through a couple Transcender's, but quickly discredited them due to them not being very close to the actual exam.

There was one encryption algorithm that was mentioned in the Transcenders that wasn't covered in either the Sybex OR Darril's book. (The Sybex guide I had access to via Books 24x7). I did Wiki SkipJack and now know what it is, but was a bit annoyed that it was even mentioned.

The Transcender exam was more of a crutch than anything else. Darril's book by itself I am confident I could have used by itself to pass, but wanted to overprepare more than anything else. I would never have thought it before I actually sat for the exam though. There really was no way to validate that prior to sitting...not without cheating anyway.
  • AmcoAmco Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have this exam on Friday icon_cheers.gif
    Amco wrote: »
    I have this exam on Friday icon_cheers.gif

Wish you well on your test and look forward to you telling us that you passed!icon_thumright.gif
  • DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i have this exam tommorrow
    DoubleD wrote: »
    i have this exam tommorrow

Good luck DoubleD...
    I know you will do well...
  • DPOLISHSENSATIONDPOLISHSENSATION Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Got the book on Saturday and it is great! Easy read and very informative (I would have to say this is one of the easiest certification books I've read and I hate reading technical manuals lol). Anyways, plan on studying for about 4 weeks and taking the test around Halloween. Also cool to find out that he teaches college a few miles from my house :)