Dod 8570

brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
IT Certifications and DoD Directive 8570.01-M

I recently hired into a position that I was told needed Security+. Now its not certain what my job classification falls under. If indeed it falls into the category calling for Security+, I was told it had to be in place my the end of the fiscal year, or the end of this month. That leaves me only a few more weeks. Are there any waivers to the deadline?

Comments

• rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Tough spot bro. I'm not exactly sure but I believe its based on the agency's agreement with the contractor (I'm assuming its a contractor) though no matter what they will all follow the 8570 before 2012 (I remember reading about having to sign up with the CE program through CompTIA).

Your best bet is to grab Darill Gibson's Security+ and huff it!

Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide (9781439236369): Darril Gibson: Books

I don't know your experience level but if you need some networking or basics video hit this up (The Sec+ is a build off of the A+ and Net+):

Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Nework+, Certification Training
  • brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    Tough spot bro. I'm not exactly sure but I believe its based on the agency's agreement with the contractor (I'm assuming its a contractor) though no matter what they will all follow the 8570 before 2012 (I remember reading about having to sign up with the CE program through CompTIA).

Your best bet is to grab Darill Gibson's Security+ and huff it!

Actually as soon as I found this site, I ordered the book from Amazon, its in transit.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    brownwrap wrote: »
    Actually as soon as I found this site, I ordered the book from Amazon, its in transit.

There are guys who passed Security+ with just one week of reading that book. As R2S said....huff it, my brother....
  • pml1pml1 Member Posts: 147
    erpadmin wrote: »
    There are guys who passed Security+ with just one week of reading that book. As R2S said....huff it, my brother....

Passed it after 8 days using Darril Gibson's book listed above. Spend a lot of quality time with that book, and you'll be prepared.
    Excellence is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.
    pml1 wrote: »
    Passed it after 8 days using Darril Gibson's book listed above. Spend a lot of quality time with that book, and you'll be prepared.

That's encouraging. I'm a slow reader though. We'll see. The time frame leaves me one more weekend. I'm in a brand new town, learning a brand new job, and still needing to get certified. I have read this weekend, just don't have the Gibson's book yet.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I haven't taken that test yet, but I got the book... while you are waiting for your book, I would just start taking practice tests... you'll probably tank them, but that way when you start reading the book it won't be 100% foreign to you
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Also while you're waiting on the book you can check out Darril Gibsons Security+ Blog.
    http://sy0201.blogspot.com/
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    earweed wrote: »
    Also while you're waiting on the book you can check out Darril Gibsons Security+ Blog.
    Security Plus: Get Certified Get Ahead

I have checked it out. Printed the list of pointer and am going over them, thanks. A lot of this stuff is familiar, some of the things I've used at work or at home playing around, some is brand new. I just wish I didn't have the time constrant.
  • giftedwongiftedwon Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    if you are a GS you have 6 months from time of Hire to take it
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    brownwrap wrote: »
    IT Certifications and DoD Directive 8570.01-M

I recently hired into a position that I was told needed Security+. Now its not certain what my job classification falls under. If indeed it falls into the category calling for Security+, I was told it had to be in place my the end of the fiscal year, or the end of this month. That leaves me only a few more weeks. Are there any waivers to the deadline?

From my experience... (and I did NOT stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night)

I have never seen a requirement for 8570 tied to the end of a fiscal year. most positions that I have seen advertised say you must have it within 90 days or 6 months of being hired, it depends on the terms of the contract and what the gov. is willing to accept. That really is something you need to discuss with someone on the PM level to determine what the exact requirement will be. (preferably in writing so they can't jerk you around later)

It will be interesting come 01 January - I am curious to see if they will drop the hammer down on those who do not meet 8570 or not.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    colemic wrote: »
    It will be interesting come 01 January - I am curious to see if they will drop the hammer down on those who do not meet 8570 or not.

I don't know about how the contractor side handles all of this. As for 1 January, are you talking about CND-SP, IASAE or CompTIA's mandatory certification renewal? The mandatory IAM/IAT passed this last 1 January. As far as DoD is concerned you have 6 months from when you hold the IA position to be certified. That is all current as of Change 2 of 8570.01-M.