Q4 2010 / 2011 security cert objectives?

Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
What do you ladies have forcasted for q4 2010 and into 2011? I usually see a boatload of cert attempts through this site at the end of the year. I’m going to try to out of pocket the CISSP in December. My SANS GCFW Gold paper subject and abstract have been approved for writing so that’s being written as well. I’d like to have that finished by 2010/12/31. I had to submit my 2011 training requests to my boss recently and specified that I’d like to complete the GCIA as quickly into 2011 as possible. That would mean that I’d have all of the prerequisites for the GSE knocked out upon completion of the cert attempt. I have zero issues paying for the GSE out of pocket, as that’s the Mt. Everest of the security cert world as far as I’m concerned, so completely worth it. I’ve also got all the hotel points and frequent flyer miles in the world saved up so travel to the GSE is a non-issue. If I can successfully complete the GSE written exam I’ll possibly lay on the CISA but I don’t want to think past the GSE lab by any means.

CISSP: December 2010
GCFW Gold paper: December 2010
GCIA: First quarter 2011
GSE written: As soon after GCIA as possible
CISA if I have time

How about you guys?
CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
pbosworth@gmail.com
http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/

Comments

• docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I technically went through the 1DCPT and submitted somewhat incomplete work due to personal schedule issues, but I technically have another couple of months to actually complete it. I might consider it, but pentesting is more of a side interest to me than a career pursuit. Same thing with the eCPPT. I started on it, but since it's lifetime access to that version of the content, I'm taking my sweet time. I might not even go for the challenge.

The rest of the year isn't security-related but to round up the Cisco side (CCNA Wireless and start the CCSP track with the ASA exam and possibly the SNRS if time allows). I'm doing the WCNA next week, but that's not exactly security-related either.

For 2011 I'm eyeing the GCIA and / or GCFW, or substituting the GAWN. I'm considering doing the CCNP track as well as the rest of the CCSP (although I have no idea how I'm going to prepare for the IPS exam since there's hardly any recent study material for it). I'm entertaining the thought of doing the CEH since that looks like a fun learn-your-tools class, but I wonder if it'll add value.

I've been wanting the CISSP for a while now, but every time I start on it I get bored. I think that's one I'll just patiently bite off each piece until I feel naturally ready for it ... hopefully next year. I also really should do a GSEC Gold, just to live up to the original spirit of having a practical.

My plans tend to fluctuate a bit as time goes on though. When 2011 comes around, I might have a slightly different / re-ordered list.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have the SSCP on my mind for the last quarter of 2011.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    docrice wrote: »

I've been wanting the CISSP for a while now, but every time I start on it I get bored. I think that's one I'll just patiently bite off each piece until I feel naturally ready for it ... hopefully next year.

I'm like a year and a half to two years in to studying for the CISSP because I get burned out after one or two domains. I've read all of the books, aide memoire, practice questions, CBTs, etc, just can't sit down and focus.

GL on the GCFW and or GCIA. I really enjoyed the GCFW and feel it probably gave me the largest boost to my practical knowledge out of all of my certs.

I'd do a GSEC paper but have zero reason to or will to.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I'll be knocking out S+ after my CCNA next month icon_cheers.gif

Gotta start somewhere.... icon_thumright.gif
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Q4 2010 - CCNA:S, ITILv3F, Project+
    Q1 2011 - LPIC-1
    Q2 2011 - C|EH
    Q3 2011 - Chill
    Q4 2011 - M.S. CSEC (start)

My cert list for Q4 2010/2011 is short but I've come a long way. I got all my current certs this year and am way beyond burnout lol.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Q4 2010 - OSWP, OSCP, eCCPT, GSEC Gold, and GPEN Gold
    Q1 2011 - CPT, GCIH, GWAPT
    Q2 2011 - CEPT, GCIA
    Q3 2011 - GSE
    Q4 2011 - OSCE

I want to take some Learn Security Online courses too, and maybe scatter in some LPI to beef up on Linux as well...
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Lets hope I'm about to accomplish half of this and its subject to change based on work and school requirements:

Q4 2010: CWSP (scheduled-school), CCDA (scheduled-work), CISA (work-req), CXFS (work-req)
    Q1 2011: CHFI, CISSP-ISSAP, ARCH
    Q2 2011: ROUTE, SWITCH, G7799
    Q3 2011: TSHOOT, IBM Certs TBD
    Q4 2011: GPEN, Graduation from MS program

and of course 2011 will be the year to pick Boz and Dynamik's brain on some GIAC certs!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Q4 2010: MCITP:EA/EMA
    Q1 2011: Finish Up MCITP:EA/EMA, CCNA:S
    Q2 2011: CISSP (Associate)
    Q3 2011: GCWN (Pending if I can financially swing it)
    Q4 2011: Start my Bachelors?

I would really love to add some GIAC certs to the resume. I guess we will see what I can handle next year. My main goals are to finish out the stuff that is required for my job and then renew my CCNA. I would really love to start diving into some more security certs though. GCWN will probably be my first GIAC cert if I find the funds to take it this year. I saw that dynamik posted about the work study so I may try to get in on that. I think I can take on everything above, in a year I should be in a way better position as far as experience and certs go.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    oh goodness, lets see...

GSEC/GCFWGCIA/GCIH
    CPT/CPTE
    OSCP
    *not be dead*
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    For the rest of this year, unless I get put in a CISSP class at work (there is a 50/50 shot that will happen) I'm probably taking the rest of the year off. Too many classes/tests recently and I need a mental break.

For Q1 2011, I'll probably jump back in to finishing my MCITP: EA and then start planning out when/where I can take the GCWN. Of course, all this depends on what happens with my current position as I had a long conversation with my supervisor yesterday on how it is not challenging me and I'm interested in moving in to another contract.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd like to do CISSP-ISSEP this year but i just don't have the time so far. I'm going to try to sneak the study time in over the next mth while on planes but doubtful. No IT related certs for 2011 and probably 2012 for me.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Q4 2010 (few days): Security+
    Q4 2010: LPIC-1 (November-December)
    Jan Q1 2011: SSCP
    Q1:2011: ITIL Foundations
    Q2: 2011: C|EH
    Q2: A.A.S Network Engineering
    Q3: GSEC A.A.S Software development (maybe)
    Q4: GCIA
    I also have some non cert goals like learn exchange, sql and windows server administration basics and learn perl/python basics. I've been doing school and work (both are kicking my butt) and trying to get my finances in order so it is getting hard to pin down dates. I just had to buy 4 new tires and that with a few major financial situations have drain my stash. My wife just recently entered the workforce again (after being out during my move) and her employer is fast tracking her to management (which will increase our income by about 40 percent) so that is pretty awesome. I'd like to get GSEC sometime next year as well but that is something I will have to save for (since I am paying for that out of pocket). I also thought about GCIA and GCFW as well but I think I should hold off on those until I can get into a more senior role (and save the money for the classes as I'd like to take at least one of those training classes). If possible I'd like to start the CCSP track with the SNRS as well but we will see.
    dynamik wrote: »
    Q3 2011 - GSE

Written and lab? Hardcore icon_thumright.gif
    Turns out one of the guys at work is big into ITIL so I'm going to check that out also.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Turns out one of the guys at work is big into ITIL so I'm going to check that out also.

It is extremely popular and I have started to see it coupled with many security and support positions.
  • L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    GCIH or GPEN
    CCNA SEC
    Profit???
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□

You'll find it terribly lacking in terms of what it says about security best practices.

MS
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Q4 2010 - OSWP, OSCP, eCCPT, GSEC Gold, and GPEN Gold
    Q1 2011 - CPT, GCIH, GWAPT
    Q2 2011 - CEPT, GCIA
    Q3 2011 - GSE
    Q4 2011 - OSCE

I want to take some Learn Security Online courses too, and maybe scatter in some LPI to beef up on Linux as well...

Seriously, you're making these acronyms up now fella! ;)

Good luck to everyone, there are some good goals in this thread icon_thumright.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
    i have decided to just skip all my other goals and head straight for Beer+.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Security+ by December
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • dijital1dijital1 Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Q4 2010: CISSP-ISSAP (December)
    Q4 2011: SANS610 (December)
    Q1 2011: GREM
    Q2 2011: CISSP-ISSEP
    eMeS wrote: »
    You'll find it terribly lacking in terms of what it says about security best practices.

MS

I don't care about whether ITIL addresses security requirements. I care about ITIL for the same reason you care about green building architecture. There's a market for making money and that's my driver.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    I don't care about whether ITIL addresses security requirements. I care about ITIL for the same reason you care about green building architecture. There's a market for making money and that's my driver.

Yep, that's pretty much why I care about anything.

MS
    Yep, that's pretty much why I care about anything.

MS

I just want a yacht too icon_sad.gif
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    I just want a yacht too icon_sad.gif

Pershing S.p.A.

The 115' is the one I want....

MS
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■

MS

My exact thoughts +1
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    As stated in the other thread:
    I always have big plans for certifications but never actually finish them
    for 2011:

WCNA, GSEC, SSCP, CEH, eCPPT, SCNP.

If I actually get any one of those next year it will be a miracle.
  • jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    I'm going to attempt to challenge GCIA if they pay for it after forking out the cash for the CCIE lab..*pow*..lol
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
    Well I managed to knock out the Beer+ pretty quickly. It was a pretty easy cert to get. I used Yuengling as my study guide.icon_twisted.gif
  • ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    Q1 - CISSP, E|CSA/LPT
    Q2 - OSCP (maybe)
    Q3 - Computer Hacking Forensics Investigator (C|HFI)

I am studying for CISSP/E|CSA at the same time, and its proving to be a good combination since I have a hunger to learn the high level and the low level stuff.

I am not 100% sure what I will start after Q1...it really maybe fueled by my interest. I keep talking about taking "time off" for studying for Certs, but that doesn't seem to ever happen.

Good Luck to all!
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Working on CEH now, only because it will make my Master's at WGU go more quickly, when I start it.... if I change industries I will definitely take the CISA in June.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed