Headhunters

snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
I keep getting calls from headhunters asking me to do 1-3 month contract jobs. I was wondering if anyone has got a job that was a step up or a full time position going through an IT recruiter. More and more I'm getting the feeling that they only ever offer short term contract jobs.

Comments

• rob7278rob7278 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just got a tech support job through a recruiter a TekSystems. I was also working with a recruiter at Robert Half at the same time. The guy from TekSystems did an awesome job for me- was calling me about every other or every 2-3 days with an opening. A lot of the positions he would call me on were 3-6 month contract jobs @ $16-18hr. At first I told him to call me on anything, but after a while I better defined the positions I would and wouldn't be interested in; funny thing was- when he started only calling on positions that were within the parameters I defined, I missed the action of getting a lot more calls. Even though I wasn't interested in most of the openings it made you feel like you had a lot of options and were getting a lot of activity. Eventually he found me a decent position @ $20hr on a 6mo contract to hire, in the interview the hiring manager told me they fully intended to offer perm if I was meeting expectations.
    So my experience was positive with IT recruiters, however I have read on other posts where people have felt like the recruiters were a huge waste of time; I suppose it all depends on the recruiters you hook up with- just like anything some people provide good service and others not so great. My philosophy was- I wouldn't just sit around waiting for a recruiter to drop jobs in my lap and so I scoured the job boards each day, but I figured why not have a couple extra sets of eyes trying to help find me a job.
    Hope that helps you. Good Luck- for me it definitely seemed like activity and postings picked up quite a bit over the past 2-3 weeks, so maybe the economy is finally starting to turn the corner.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My current job was procured through a recruiter / head hunter. Initially the plan was to come on for three months as a contractor with the company’s option to bring me on full-time after that period. I guess I did well enough in my interviews that they did away with the contract and brought me on full time from day one. I had an excellent experience with my recruiter. Search for posts I started in the Jobs forum for more details of my experience.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My first full time security position was through a recruiting agency. He did a great job and got back to me all the time. I think this was because I actually had a shot at getting the job. I have had some recruiters that answer my calls and emails quickly when I am in the running but vanish soon after the interview, guess I was out of the running.

Last couple of jobs I was recruited by somebody that worked in the company's HR department.
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well it sure is nice to hear that some people have had positive experiences with recruiters. I don't feel they are a waste of time or anything like that. The main thing is, right now I'm employed full time and I want my next job to be a step up and each time I have been contacted by a recruiter, it was for a 1-3 month entry level job. Thanks for the positive info guys!
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    What I found exciting was that people who were offered C2H jobs went in and found out that they were actually full time gigs or were offered them anyway. I've basically told a few places that I was only interested in full-time permanent spots and the call volume dropped significantly. I guess that's the nature of the environment right now. It's probably easier to put up a contract 2 hire job, and weed out when you know you really need a full time position than to just post it as full time and hope.
  • CountryboiCountryboi Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    see the problem with taking these 1 - 3 month contracts is that they take away from time you could be using to find a real job and after the 3 months is up if the recruiters cant find you something new you end up right back in the same place....its a tease but sometimes they do pay off for people and they turn the chance in to a full time job......if your on your ass it maybe worth a shot but me I have never gotten a job through a recruiter any thing i got was with my own hard work so they dont get any respect from me.
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Just brought on full time to a position via a recruiter this past week. I had a great experience with my recruiter.
  • howiehandleshowiehandles Member Posts: 148
    I've had good experiences and not so good. When you're a fit, they're your best bud, but when they don't, you're lucky to get in contact with them.

I even had one recruiter who said that I wasn't a fit for their client technically, but then the client hired me directly. Ha. Some of these recruiters seem to think just because they know a one sentence definition of TCP, that they actually know what they're talking about.

I look at it this way, its another pair of eyes looking for a job for you. Plus, they have the inside contacts to get your resume to the hiring manager. Sometimes the HR folks are tough to get through when they're screening resumes.
  • howiehandleshowiehandles Member Posts: 148
    I disagree. A job is a job, and you never know if it could lead to permanent employment. I've had more than one short term contract turn into a perm offer. Plus, just because you're contracting, doesn't mean you can't still go out and interview. You've gotta look out for number one, especially as a contractor.
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Headhunters have been good and bad for me. More good then anything.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think now a days most Americans should think every job is a 1-3 month contract. Save/Invest more and plan your own retirement.
  • rob7278rob7278 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with the other posters- if the recruiters/head hunters have positions they think you could get hired for they will return your calls, get back to you right away and be your best friend; but I have also ran into quite a few that would vanish from the face of the earth if they didn't have any jobs for you.
    Although I hesitate to generalize and box every recruiter as- they do such and such; there are some recruiters that will work their butt off for you (which is also helping them) and some that just sit around on their butt.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    rob7278 wrote: »
    Ibut I have also ran into quite a few that would vanish from the face of the earth if they didn't have any jobs for you.

What do you expect them to do? Tell you over and over that they don't have anything for you?
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I think now a days most Americans should think every job is a 1-3 month contract. Save/Invest more and plan your own retirement.

This is so true. I am only 23 but I know that the financial choices I make now will determine what I am doing when I am 33, 43, 53 and beyond.
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I got my latest job doing a 3x month contract through a recruiter. It's the best thing ever for me as it got me out of a job that wouldn't pay properly or provide any training.

Short contracts are the only thing around at the moment so I feel I could pick up another one when this one ends, which suits me as I'm sick of sitting around the same office for years on end. Best thing is, contracting pays a bucket load of money (even after deducting public holidays, sick leave etc) so I don't feel the pressure to get another job as soon as possible.

Contracting also means I'm not just growing stagnant at a desk with nothing to show for it after 6x months. I can do what's required, learn and build my skillset, then present that to the next contractor. From strength to strength. Wish I'd done it a year ago.