Using command line for everything...

feng.lianfeng.lian Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, I was wondering if there was a good book that would cover how to use command line for pretty much everything in Windows. I've been reading for specific exams and they would show a few commands here and there, but I always feel like they don't make too much sense and it is hard to memorize them that way. I find memorizing Cisco IOS commands are so much easier because they do make sense.

So, I've decided to master command lines and then powershell to have a great foundation when learning about specific exams.

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't know that there is a master list anywhere. I usually have something in mind that I want to do, and then turn to google and discover commands that way.

Maybe we should start a list?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Man, good link. I have been putting a small list together from my study materials, but it is not as informative as that book shows in the descriptions. Thanks to the OP and for the link Will.

*make sure to look at the middle of the page though, looks like he has a second edition out.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • hunterthuntert Banned Posts: 231
    MS-DOS help and commands

this site has a lot of info about ms dos and other stuff about oss including a lot of key short cuts
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A big benefit to learning CLI is that if you ever get around to using Server 2008 then you will have to deal with Server core which is the server without the GUI (and missing a few other features). I've been labbing with server core just to learn and stay fresh on my cli skills.
    For some of us who have been messing with computers for a while (us older folk) we are familiar with the DOS days. My first "real" PC had windows 3.x and I dealt with DOS every day I got on it practically. I used that computer with that version of Windows until getting my next PC which had Windows Me which helped me to learn a lot of troubleshooting and how to fix things.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    earweed wrote: »
    A big benefit to learning CLI is that if you ever get around to using Server 2008 then you will have to deal with Server core which is the server without the GUI (and missing a few other features). I've been labbing with server core just to learn and stay fresh on my cli skills.
    For some of us who have been messing with computers for a while (us older folk) we are familiar with the DOS days. My first "real" PC had windows 3.x and I dealt with DOS every day I got on it practically. I used that computer with that version of Windows until getting my next PC which had Windows Me which helped me to learn a lot of troubleshooting and how to fix things.

Doesn't everyone just used core configurator? icon_thumright.gif
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Mojo_666 wrote: »
    Doesn't everyone just used core configurator? icon_thumright.gif
    I did my first Server core build the hard way so as to learn how. Server 2k8 R2 has some new features and better setups for configuring Server core that I used on my most recent server core build.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.