New Guy - JNCIE-ER Candidate

csnowcsnow Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

This is my first post. My name is Chris, and I am just starting the path toward the JNCIE-ER. I have zero, yes zero, experience with Junos. However, I have become a loyal Juniper convert since migrating from Cisco security products to the IVE and Screenos SSG products.

I do have a lot of security and routing/switching experience (10 years) from both the carrier and enterprise side of the house. I figured if I was going to learn Junos, why not just jump in with both feet. I have a strong working knowledge of all the topics on the ER track, I just need to learn the Juniper's command line and how Juniper "does it". In other words, I already know the "why" (which in my opinion is the critical component), I just need to learn the "how" with Juniper.

Since the ER track is moving from packet to flow based, I assume the SRX platform will be sufficient for studying. My company is going to fund my lab (we get deep discounts), so I plan to get five or six SRX 100's and three SRX 200 series to use for frame-relay lab exercises. I can also use some Cisco routers to act as public routers sending BGP updates into the Juniper lab.

Will this be sufficient to prepare for the lab? I may also attend the Advanced Routing class once I have a better understanding of the the Juniper command line and possibly a JNCIE bootcamp. I have never been much for classes and have always preferred self-study. The only problem is that there is so little Juniper practice material out there.

Anyways, I hope to meet some friends on here.

Christopher Snow
CCIE #13083 (R/S & Security)

Comments

• hoogen82hoogen82 Member Posts: 272
    Hi Chris welcome to the forum...

The ER track is not moving to the flow based.... They have created an exam specifically focussed on SRX called JNCIE-SEC...

The ER track would become ENT (Enterprise Routing and Switching) and would still incorporate the packet mode.

I am not sure about the price difference between the SRX100 and SRX210... But I would suggest if you can pick up the SRX210 over the 100. The number of devices seem to be okay. I am assuming though that the Security exam would incorporate supporting devices like maybe NSM and STRM or maybe even a radius server...

Good luck... Aldur is the juniper moderator here... and a great guy... If you do stick on the ENT track he has got some very useful labs to practice with...

You could look up the sticky threads... Aldur has some lab simulations for ER and I have some for M Series
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.
  • csnowcsnow Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the post. Are they adding the EX switches to the ER track? I will look at getting some J2320 routers for the lab.
  • zoidbergzoidberg Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would expect to see the EX in the new ENT labs, and the MX in the new SP labs. I have no inside info, but that just looks to be the way the curriculum is going. Both these tracks are considers routing ans switching.
    That would absolutely be true... Going the J-series way for lab practice is also better because then you could either have it running packet mode or you could install flow code for SRX style configuration...
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.
    Luckily I have two EX switches already. I won a free promotion a couple of years ago with Juniper. It was totally cool winning that promotion. I knew those switches would come in handy one day icon_cheers.gif

How many J2320's do I need? Is five sufficent?
  • hasan1507hasan1507 Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would like to join u for JNCIE-ER ;)
    Thanks & Regards,

Hasan Rauf
    Sure man, send me your email via PM. I love having a study partners. I see you are in Pakistan. My prayers are with your people with all the flooding that has hit your country.
    I mean.. 5 wouldn't be enough... But if you want to save money... You could build Olives... There is a sticky post that you could check out... It's an expensive way....

I am guessing Aldur had about 5-7 J-Series and the rest were Olives....
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.
    csnow are you there?
    Thanks & Regards,

Hasan Rauf
    Anybody preparing for JNCIE-ER ?????
    Thanks & Regards,

Hasan Rauf