Options

Help...

lashpo1987lashpo1987 Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
In about 8 months i will have an A.S in information technology

this>>> is the discription that they give...which one is better?
  • Programming Track: The Programming Track allows for specialization in software development using modern languages. Students may select 9 credits from C language, C++, C#, Java, J2EE, or Visual Basic.NET
  • Web Track: The Web Track allows for specialization in web development using modern web technologies. Students may select 9 credits from web design, web management, UNIX/Linux development, or server development.
  • Database Track: The Database Track allows for specialization in database development using modern database technologies. Students may select 9 credits from Oracle SQL, PL/SQL, database administration, M.S. SQL Server database, or M.S. Access database.
also what certifications would you guys suggest...sorry if this is too much i look forward to any responses

Comments

• Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The obvious question we have to ask first is: What is it you want to do?

If you are unsure, getting a vender neutral certificaiton like the A+ could get you knowledge of what IT has out there, and how to do basic troubleshooting for a little bit of everything. Then you can branch out from there.

As to which track is better, it still goes to what is it you want to do. What would you enjoy doing? Just because something seems hard, does not mean you should avoid it. Sut any difficulty aside and just think as far as your future goes: "What is it you want I want to do?"
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    +1 I see a lot of jobs advertised that have skills you'd get from any of the 3 tracks. So I'll have to say What Chmorin said goes here, too. What do you see yourself doing later on down the road?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    I am very unsure of what I want to do! I want to keep all of my options open there is nothing worse than getting specialized in a field that is not in demand. Of course I want to make as much money as I can and I also want to limit the amount of people I work with. I know that sounds rude but working in customer service has literally exhausted me with people I want to be nice to people because I want to not because I have to!! :)
  • Options
    oh and thanks for the help!
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    lashpo1987 wrote: »
    Of course I want to make as much money as I can...

IT is not a golden ticket to make lots of money, no matter what the school's recruitment program said. Just know that like all of us, you have to start from the bottom and work your way up. That will most likely mean, which can slightly vary on the route you take, starting at a helpdesk job.

As the others have said, you need to figure out what interests you the most and go from there.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    chmorin wrote: »
    The obvious question we have to ask first is: What is it you want to do?

It isn't that easy. Take my situation for an example. I am sitting in a networking engineering track for my A.A.S but more than likely I will tack on the software development track to my degree. Why? Because it knocks out many of the CS classes for my school I want to go to for my BS. So you have to keep that in mind as well. Not only what do you want to do but what do you want to do next. The software development classes here cost 45 dollars a credit hour. The classes at my desired future school cost 100s an hour.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    lashpo1987 wrote: »
    I am very unsure of what I want to do! I want to keep all of my options open there is nothing worse than getting specialized in a field that is not in demand. Of course I want to make as much money as I can and I also want to limit the amount of people I work with. I know that sounds rude but working in customer service has literally exhausted me with people I want to be nice to people because I want to not because I have to!! :)

Time for me to play devil's advocate. The quoted text is not going to happen unless you have your own business.

Starting out in the IT field is done in a VERY customer centric position, either helpdesk or a NOC. You'll be resetting passwords or creating tickets all day. This is the nature of the business at the bottom.

The farther you go in your career will dictate how much money you make, and limit the people you deal with.

However, right out of school with an A.S. and maybe a cert or two, look for something around $30k for you salary.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    yeah i assumed i wldnt make much money coming into the field i just want to choose a field in the it world that has job stability and gives me the opportunity to move up in position. i am in know rush to make tons of money but that is a goal of mine. i also heard its hard to find it jobs now is that true?