1Y0-A05 (XA 5 on 2008) and 1Y0-A09 (XS 5 EE) Passed!

LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
Passed 1Y0-A05 and 1Y0-A09 exams with 88% and 89% respectively.

The XenApp exam was reasonably challenging, particularly questions related to application streaming and profiling for streaming.

Resources used:-

· Over 5 years’ experience of working with XenApp (Presnetation Server) 4 through to 5.0, along with various upgrades, migrations and troubleshooting.
· Exam Preparation Course in a Book for Passing CCA for XS 5 on 2008 (see here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1742443184/ref=oss_product) – This book is much more of a ‘reference guide’ than a dedicated study guide. It contains a lot of random information, which frankly isn’t relevant, for example 2 pages devoted to explaining NTFS permissions?! Seems like they tried to ‘fill’ content within this book. If you are working with Windows Server and don’t know the difference between ‘Read’ and ‘Modify’ permissions they you are in the wrong job! J
· Citrixxperience (http://jeffrohrer.com/citrix/)
· Various posts on here and the Citrix forums / review of common issues etc.

The XenServer exam was fair easy to be fair. With limited virtualisation experience, a general knowledge of different storage solutions and where certain features are located within the XenCenter client people shouldn’t have any issues passing this.

However, resources used:-

· 2 years’ experience on working with XenServer. Versions 5.0 to 5.6 and upgrading/troubleshooting.
· Server design/specification/builds with the XenServer platform.
· Administrator Guide (revision of common XE commands etc)
· General internet searching/forum viewing.

Hope this helps anyone who’s planning to take either of these exams!

Kind Regards,

Luke

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • GagHalfruntGagHalfrunt Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nice one icon_cheers.gif

I don't think I have enough exposure to XenServer to even think about taking an exam for that. My virtualisation experience is limited to VMware (work) and Hyper-V (home).
  • LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice one icon_cheers.gif

I don't think I have enough exposure to XenServer to even think about taking an exam for that. My virtualisation experience is limited to VMware (work) and Hyper-V (home).

With that kind of experience, all you'd need to do is read the XenServer administrator guide and play around with it (install/upgrade etc) for a couple of weeks. This exam (in my opinion) really isn’t that challenging.