I am dont understand..

gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
I was watchin some rip class today and in the excersice it was a router connected to other 3 routers. ok so he wanted this the R1 knows 3 paths to the same destination 1 via rip and 2 via static but he told us ok if the Rip route fails any static route must replace it .ok

but static Admistrative distance is 1 so i thought the router should pick the static over the Rip route no viceversa so should i configure AD of rip to 0 to surpass Static right.

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    gouki2005 wrote: »
    but static Admistrative distance is 1 so i thought the router should pick the static over the Rip route no viceversa so should i configure AD of rip to 0 to surpass Static right.
    No.

You can create a Floating Static Route to "backup" the dynamic protocols.
    You'd actually set the Administrative Distance on the backup Floating Static Route to a value higher than the value of the Administrative Distance of the Dynamic Routing Protocol.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Bert McGertBert McGert Member Posts: 122
    AD rules all. If dealing with default values, static wins. Sure he wasn't talking about hop count versus link speeds?
  • gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
    mikej412 wrote: »
    No.

You can create a Floating Static Route to "backup" the dynamic protocols.
    You'd actually set the Administrative Distance on the backup Floating Static Route to a value higher than the value of the Administrative Distance of the Dynamic Routing Protocol.
    your idea is better.. maybe i should use it.
  • gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
    AD rules all. If dealing with default values, static wins. Sure he wasn't talking about hop count versus link speeds?
    yeah i am sure.
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264

Longest match rules all, so it could have been a less specific static that would be used if the RIP route was lost.

Just theorizing here.
  • Bert McGertBert McGert Member Posts: 122
    ColbyG wrote: »
    Longest match rules all, so it could have been a less specific static that would be used if the RIP route was lost.

Just theorizing here.

Well, duh. At this level, unless explicitly called out in a given example I think we can assume that the match lengths are identical when it comes to explaining how AD works in choice of routes.