Pinging the TFTP Server

SimfishSimfish Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone!

I followed the instructions listed in this thread:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/22447-how-setup-tftp-server-backup-restore-2500-ios.html

I'm working with a Cisco 2620 router connected to my laptop (MacBook Pro, but with Windows 7) via the console port. I was able to statically assign my computer an IP address and get to the point in Pumpkin where it asked me to be (I even tried a different TFTP Server Console). For example, the IP address on the FastEthernet interface of my router is 192.168.1.2 (with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0). I statically assign an IP of 192.168.1.101 to my computer. But...using HyperTerminal, I can't get the router to ping my computer. The ping would always fail with that 0/5 error. I've tried searching for solutions, and made sure that my firewall was off.

Perhaps anyone here can point out something that wouldn't be so obvious to a newbie like me? :D Thanks.

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What kind of cable are you using between the router Ethernet port and your Mac/Win7 Ethernet port? If they are connected back-to-back it should be a crossover Ethernet cable.

If you have a switch in the middle (and are using straight through Ethernet cables) you can configure the administrative VLAN on the switch and put it in the same subnet to see if can ping either the router or Mac/Win7. And you should be able to use a show cdp command to at least make sure you can see the Cisco router. If you can't see that, then they may a previous switch configuration preventing the 2 ports the router & Mac/Win7 are connected to from communicating.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • SimfishSimfish Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm using an RJ-45 light blue console cable with one end connected to a USB-serial adapter that I purchased separately from the package, if that helps. I'm fairly new to this stuff, and still trying to figure out the ropes :) I can't really see what type of cable it is because the serial head covers the other end of the cable, but I got everything (2 3548-XL switches and 3 2620 series routers) in a package, so it's probably a crossover cable and it presumably works.

I haven't touched the switch yet, and wouldn't know how to configure it yet without further reading. So the switch isn't the problem. Willing to try different things just to see if they work though.

This error is really tricky.
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    the serial connection between you laptop and the router is only giving you a console connection to the device. Like Mike said you will need to do one of the following,

connect the router to the switch via a standard ethernet cable
    connect your laptop nic to the switch via a standard ethernet cable

or connect your laptop directly to the router via a cross-over cable.

without that it will not work.

to TFTP you need to push the data across the network interface, and you need connectivity to accomplish that.

currently you are serially connected to the router, and nothing else....
    it would be similar to you having a telephone in your house but no dial tone, without dial tone, (or service) you cannot communicate with anyone else)
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
    Ah, I see, thanks! That makes a lot of sense.

So a logical path would be, to connect the FastEthernet interface on my router to one of the many switch interfaces on the switch via a standard ethernet cable, and then connect the laptop to the switch's console port (or is it the router's console port) via the console cable?

Does each of the hardware have to be basic configured beforehand in order for connectivity to occur? I've only configured the router so far.

Thanks.
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Simfish wrote: »
    Ah, I see, thanks! That makes a lot of sense.

So a logical path would be, to connect the FastEthernet interface on my router to one of the many switch interfaces on the switch via a standard ethernet cable, and then connect the laptop to the switch's console port (or is it the router's console port) via the console cable?

Does each of the hardware have to be basic configured beforehand in order for connectivity to occur? I've only configured the router so far.

Thanks.

The console port is for configuration, it is not used to transfer data.
    you are correct on the fastethernet on the router to the switch, but you need to connect your laptop to the switch via an additional ethernet cable to be able to TFTP data from the router to your laptop.

once the two devices are connected to the switch in theory you will be able to ping each other and ultimately TFTP data.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
    miller811 wrote: »
    The console port is for configuration, it is not used to transfer data.
    you are correct on the fastethernet on the router to the switch, but you need to connect your laptop to the switch via an additional ethernet cable to be able to TFTP data from the router to your laptop.

once the two devices are connected to the switch in theory you will be able to ping each other and ultimately TFTP data.

This makes a lot of sense. Thanks. There's a new problem now. I've configured all 3 routers (as well as the one switch that I was able to configure) and was able to ping the other routers from my top router now that they're all connected to a switch.

However, I'm still having trouble getting the router to ping my computer, and I see that when I connect an ethernet cable from the computer to the switch, the light in the corresponding slot on the switch doesn't light up like it does for the other router-switch connections. I wonder what could be the issue here.

Please help out, thanks!
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    This makes a lot of sense. Thanks. There's a new problem now. I've configured all 3 routers (as well as the one switch that I was able to configure) and was able to ping the other routers from my top router now that they're all connected to a switch.

However, I'm still having trouble getting the router to ping my computer, and I see that when I connect an ethernet cable from the computer to the switch, the light in the corresponding slot on the switch doesn't light up like it does for the other router-switch connections. I wonder what could be the issue here.

Please help out, thanks!

The port might be shutdown, the port could be bad, the cable could be bad.

Without a config it's hard to tell.
    phoeneous wrote: »
    The port might be shutdown, the port could be bad, the cable could be bad.

Without a config it's hard to tell.

I tried several cables, including one that worked between router and switch.

The port on my laptop works if I connect it to the modem (hence I can connect to the Internet). I even tried the switch ports that lit up.

How can I provide a config? Thanks.
  • Javi437Javi437 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What you have to do is type show running-config in privilege mode on the router and it will show you the configuration, just copy and paste from there. You might also want to disable the firewall on you laptop i know that gave me a lot of issues when i wanted to ping my pc from the router or from other pc's. Hope this helps.
    CCENT
    I tried several cables, including one that worked between router and switch.

The port on my laptop works if I connect it to the modem (hence I can connect to the Internet). I even tried the switch ports that lit up.

How can I provide a config? Thanks.

Have you configured the switch at all? You should be able to connect the light blue cable to its console port like you did the routers and configure it. If you get access to it, just type show run and paste the config here.
    This is for the switch. Thanks guys:

3548XLA#show run
    Building configuration...

Current configuration:
    !
    version 12.0
    no service pad
    service timestamps debug uptime
    service timestamps log uptime
    no service password-encryption
    !
    hostname 3548XLA
    !
    enable secret 5 $1$BWz4$O.nbofdrSP4yYtU60X8UQ0
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    ip subnet-zero
    cluster enable 2620 0
    !
    !
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/1
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/2
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/3
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/4
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/5
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/6
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/7
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/8
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/9
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/10
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/11
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/12
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/13
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/14
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/15
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/16
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/17
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/18
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/19
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/20
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/21
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/22
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/23
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/24
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/25
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/26
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/27
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/28
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/29
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/30
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/31
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/32
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/33
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/34
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/35
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/36
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/37
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/38
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/39
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/40
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/41
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/42
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/43
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/44
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/45
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/46
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/47
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/48
    !
    interface GigabitEthernet0/1
    !
    interface GigabitEthernet0/2
    !
    interface VLAN1
    ip address 192.168.1.53 255.255.255.0
    no ip directed-broadcast
    ip nat outside
    !
    ip default-gateway 192.168.1.57
    ip nat inside source list 199 interface VLAN1 overload
    access-list 199 dynamic Cluster-NAT permit ip any any
    snmp-server engineID local 0000000902000005325FA4C0
    snmp-server community private RW
    snmp-server community public RO
    snmp-server community private@es0 RW
    snmp-server community public@es0 RO
    !
    line con 0
    transport input none
    stopbits 1
    line vty 0 4
    password OMITTED
    login
    line vty 5 15
    password OMITTED
    login
    !
    end
    This is for the router. I have two other routers and another switch. All have been configured similarly as shown thus far. Thanks again.

2620A#show run

Current configuration : 770 bytes
    !
    version 12.2
    !
    hostname 2620A
    !
    enable secret 5 $1$qr46$XifU8EJkRdgJP/D1oX5dV.
    enable password OMITTED
    !
    ip subnet-zero
    no ip routing
    !
    !
    !
    call rsvp-sync
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/0
    ip address 192.168.1.57 255.255.255.0
    no ip route-cache
    no ip mroute-cache
    speed auto
    half-duplex
    !
    interface Serial0/0
    no ip address
    no ip route-cache
    no ip mroute-cache
    shutdown
    no fair-queue
    !
    interface Serial0/1
    no ip address
    no ip route-cache
    no ip mroute-cache
    shutdown
    !
    ip classless
    ip http server
    ip pim bidir-enable
    !
    !
    dial-peer cor custom
    !
    !
    !
    !
    line con 0
    line aux 0
    line vty 0 4
    password OMITTED
    login
    !
    end
    1. What is the IP, subnet, and default gateway of your laptop?
    2. Do you have the Windows firewall turned on?
    3. How are all devices connected to each other?
    4. If you connect your laptop directly to fa0/0 on the router, can you ping it?
    5. Can you telnet to the router?
    6. If you can telnet to the router, can you ping the switch from the router?
    7. If you can ping the switch from the router, can you telnet to the switch from the router?

Did the devices come configured like this or did you setup these commands? The reason I ask is because on the router you have no ip routing and fa0/0 is at half-duplex.

And on the switch you have this:
    interface VLAN1
    no ip directed-broadcast
    ip nat outside
    !
    ip nat inside source list 199 interface VLAN1 overload
    access-list 199 dynamic Cluster-NAT permit ip any any

I think vlan1 is supposed to be the ip nat inside interface and whatever port you have connected to the router is the ip nat outside interface. But why are you natting? Just to rule out config you should wipe out the switch and make sure you can connect hosts to it and verify port operation. The 3548 is an older model and I don't know if out-of-box all ports are shutdown.

Tip: Use the service-password encryption command so you don't have to omit your passwords. They will be hashed.
    1. IP: 192.168.1.51
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (also indicated by some hexadecimal address)

2. No, I make sure Windows Firewall isn't turned on.

3. The 3 routers and computer are all connected to the switch. The 3 routers are also interconnected to each other via 3 back-to-back serial cables (DTE/DCE)...but I probably haven't configured those serial ports yet.

4. Can't ping it. Actually, I can't even ping the router connected to it itself. Also, the connectivity lights (100 Mbps and LINK lights) are off if I connect an ethernet cable from the router's FastEthernet port to my computer, whereas if the router was connected to the switch, those lights would be on. Perhaps it's something wrong with my computer then?

5. No...but I can telnet to the router from another router (just not from the computer, since Windows doesn't seem to recognize telnet here).

6. I can ping the switch from the router, yes.

7. Yes, I can telnet to the switch from the router.

I setup the commands, the devices didn't come configured like this. I just ran the basic management stuff in each of my devices. Okay, I'll try enabling IP routing and will let you know how that goes...but how do you change the half-duplex thing though?

Also:
    Just to rule out config you should wipe out the switch and make sure you can connect hosts to it and verify port operation.

As in, reconfigure the switch from scratch? Is there any specific configuration instructions I should be on the lookout for?

And:
    Tip: Use the service-password encryption command so you don't have to omit your passwords. They will be hashed.

How do I do this?

Once again, thanks for the help all! Slowly but surely, I'm coming along in this.
  • wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    Go onto FastEthernet0/0 on the router and type duplex full
    I setup the commands, the devices didn't come configured like this. I just ran the basic management stuff in each of my devices.

But you've configured an access-list and nat on the switch, that isn't basic management in the scheme of what you are trying to do.
    but how do you change the half-duplex thing though?

conf t
    duplex auto
    Also:

As in, reconfigure the switch from scratch? Is there any specific configuration instructions I should be on the lookout for?

You just need to give vlan1 an appropriate ip address and subnet mask. Then ip default-gateway.

To wipe the switch:

en
    conf t
    write erase
    reload

Is this how you have the devices connected?
    http://i53.tinypic.com/wwdm48.jpg

wwdm48.jpg
    Still no luck. Turned on ip routing and configured duplex auto on each of my routers...even wiped out the switch and reconfigured its settings. To be clear, the ports on the switch are fully functional (lights lit up) if the routers are connected to it, but not if the computer is connected to it (the port slot corresponding to the ethernet cable connection to the computer remains off).
    Is this how you have the devices connected?

Almost. There's also a red connection between R1 and R3, although I haven't configured those serial ports yet (so those red connections might as well not be there). The router models are specifically 2620 (not XM).

But yeah, that's pretty much it.
    New router config:

2620A#show run

Current configuration : 699 bytes
    !
    version 12.2
    !
    hostname 2620A
    !
    enable secret 5 $1$qr46$XifU8EJkRdgJP/D1oX5dV.
    enable password OMITTED
    !
    ip subnet-zero
    !
    !
    !
    call rsvp-sync
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/0
    ip address 192.168.1.57 255.255.255.0
    no ip mroute-cache
    duplex auto
    speed auto
    !
    interface Serial0/0
    no ip address
    no ip mroute-cache
    shutdown
    no fair-queue
    !
    interface Serial0/1
    no ip address
    no ip mroute-cache
    shutdown
    !
    ip classless
    ip http server
    ip pim bidir-enable
    !
    !
    dial-peer cor custom
    !
    !
    !
    !
    line con 0
    line aux 0
    line vty 0 4
    password OMITTED
    login
    !
    end
    If anyone has any ideas on how I can finally start pinging/TFTP, that would be helpful. Thanks all, so far! If anything seems off to any of you, please let me know. Thanks.

New switch config:

3548XLA#show run

Current configuration:
    !
    version 12.0
    no service pad
    !
    hostname 3548XLA
    !
    enable secret 5 $1$3Bb1$.r4zK5cbxon3WvioABj99.
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    ip subnet-zero
    !
    !
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/1
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/2
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/3
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/4
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/5
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/6
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/7
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/8
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/9
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/10
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/11
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/12
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/13
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/14
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/15
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/16
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/17
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/18
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/19
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/20
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/21
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/22
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/23
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/24
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/25
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/26
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/27
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/28
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/29
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/30
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/31
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/32
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/33
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/34
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/35
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/36
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/37
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/38
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/39
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/40
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/41
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/42
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/43
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/44
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/45
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/46
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/47
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/48
    !
    interface GigabitEthernet0/1
    !
    interface GigabitEthernet0/2
    !
    interface VLAN1
    no ip directed-broadcast
    no ip route-cache
    !
    snmp-server engineID local 0000000902000005325FA4C0
    snmp-server community private RW
    !
    line con 0
    transport input none
    stopbits 1
    line vty 0 4
    password OMITTED
    login
    line vty 5 15
    password OMITTED
    login
    !
    end
    Starting to wonder if the problem perhaps lies with your PC.

If you connect your PC to an unconfigured switch, it should still light up.

Are you sure you're using a straight through cable to connect to the switch?

Does the duplex setting on your NIC match that of the switchport? It's rare, but sometimes the "auto" function on Cisco switches and routers doesn't work. Try manually configuring both to full.

Can you ping 127.0.0.1 from your PC?
  • gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    I just skimmed through a couple posts on this thread but it seems your problem now is that you can't ping the pc from the router?

What OS and/or firewall are you using? For instance if it is windows 7 you will have to go into Windows Firewall and go to advanced settings and add an incoming rule to allow ICMPv4....

never-mind I just saw that the op said the firewall was turned off in the first post.

edit: I can however answer how to encrypt those passwords as I don't see where that was answered: from the global config mode simply enter the command: service password-encryption
    What are the ip addresses and masks on each of the routers that are connected to the switch?

While consoled into the switch (light blue console cable), can you ping each of the routers?
    phoeneous wrote: »
    What are the ip addresses and masks on each of the routers that are connected to the switch?

While consoled into the switch (light blue console cable), can you ping each of the routers?

Going to address this first, then try the other solutions suggested.

IP Addresses are 192.168.1.57 on Router A, 192.168.1.54 on Router B, and 192.168.1.52 on Router C (all these routers are connected to the switch). Subnet mask on each of the routers is 255.255.255.0

And yeah, I can ping each of the routers while consoled into the switch.
    Going to address this first, then try the other solutions suggested.

IP Addresses are 192.168.1.57 on Router A, 192.168.1.54 on Router B, and 192.168.1.52 on Router C (all these routers are connected to the switch). Subnet mask on each of the routers is 255.255.255.0

And yeah, I can ping each of the routers while consoled into the switch.

OK, there is nothing wrong with the routers or you would not be able to ping them from the switch.

You said that when your PC is plugged into the switch via an ethernet cable (NOT the console cable), the lights on the switch did not light up. Correct?

If this is the case (and the switchports are not shut down), then the problem lies with either your PC, the ethernet cable or the switchport.

You've mentioned the if you plug a router into the switchport it lights up and works fine. This rules out the switchport being the fault.

You've also mentioned that you used the same cable from your PC to the switch that you used from the router to the switch, and it worked fine. This rules out the cable.

If all of the above is correct (can you confirm?), you're left with your PC being the issue.
    wbosher wrote: »

Yep. I'm not sure what connection allows me to do this (as the connection to the switch from the PC via ethernet cable is essentially dead), but I can.
    Yep. I'm not sure what connection allows me to do this (as the connection to the switch from the PC via ethernet cable is essentially dead), but I can.

127.0.0.1 is the loop back address, it's reserved for testing purposes.

If you are having problems with your network, PING 127.0.0.1 proves the network card and the TCP/IP software is working correctly. You will get a response from 127.0.0.1 even if your computer isn't connected to anything.

So it seems that the PC is ok.

If the routers can connect to the switch, then the switchports are ok. Have you tried using one of the same working switchports that the routers are using? Just to completely rule out a dodgy switchport.

If the switchports are ok (confirmed as above), that only leaves the cable or a sloppy or loose connection.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    127.0.0.1 is the loop back address, it's reserved for testing purposes.

If you are having problems with your network, PING 127.0.0.1 proves the network card and the TCP/IP software is working correctly. You will get a response from 127.0.0.1 even if your computer isn't connected to anything.
    It doesn't go near your network card at all. It is its own network interface. Thats why it works even if you're not connected to anything or if you don't have a network card at all.
    tiersten wrote: »
    It doesn't go near your network card at all. It is its own network interface. Thats why it works even if you're not connected to anything or if you don't have a network card at all.

So even if this ping works, it could still point to a faulty NIC or ethernet connection?
    Starting to wonder if the problem perhaps lies with your PC.

If you connect your PC to an unconfigured switch, it should still light up.

Are you sure you're using a straight through cable to connect to the switch?

Does the duplex setting on your NIC match that of the switchport? It's rare, but sometimes the "auto" function on Cisco switches and routers doesn't work. Try manually configuring both to full.

Configured to duplex full on each of the routers. Still no cigar (when I tried to ping the PC from the router, one time with the router connected directly to the PC via ethernet, and the other time with the switch connected to the PC via ethernet).
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    So even if this ping works, it could still point to a faulty NIC or ethernet connection?
    Yes. Getting a reply to pinging the loopback interface doesn't indicate anything about any other interface in your machine. The other interfaces may be working or they may not be working. You can't determine it via the loopback interface.