Options

N_Port ID Virtualization ?

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
I've been looking for something to explain this for me and I can't get an answer I can understand from any of my resource. Could someone explain this in english. I'm starting to "get" some of the other storage concepts (Fibre and iSCSI) since I got the SANS for Dummies book.
N_Port ID Virtualization
tool_annotate_sm.gifN_Port ID Virtualization, or NPIV, is a Fibre Channel facility that allows multiple N_Port IDs to share a single physical N_Port. N_Port sharing allows multiple Fibre Channel initiators to utilize a single physical port, easing hardware requirements in SAN design, especially where virtual SANs are used. NPIV is defined by the Technical Committee T11 within the INCITS standards body.
tool_annotate_sm.gifNPIV allows end users to effectively virtualize the Fibre Channel HBA functionality such that each virtual machine (VM) running on a server can share a pool of HBAs yet have independent access to its own protected storage. This sharing enables administrators to leverage standard SAN management tools and best practices, such as fabric zoning and LUN mapping/masking, and enables the full use of fabric-based quality-of-service and accounting capabilities. It also provides the most efficient utilization of the HBAs in the server while ensuring the highest level of data protection available in the industry.
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Comments