Options

Specify CM IP manually on 7970 ?

So I am putting in some 7970 phones at a site that doesn't have a DHCP server due to some political issues that are out of my control, and therefore need to specify the IP of the CM manually.

I go Settings > Device Configuration > CallManager Configuration, but i can't just type in the IP address. In fact, I can't edit the field at all.

Dialing **# removes the lock icon successfully, but I still can't put the CM IP straight in to the phone.

Is this normal? If so, is there a workaround?

Comments

• Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    So I am putting in some 7970 phones at a site that doesn't have a DHCP server due to some political issues that are out of my control, and therefore need to specify the IP of the CM manually.

I go Settings > Device Configuration > CallManager Configuration, but i can't just type in the IP address. In fact, I can't edit the field at all.

Dialing **# removes the lock icon successfully, but I still can't put the CM IP straight in to the phone.

Is this normal? If so, is there a workaround?

Hypno,

I ran into this exact problem in my lab a while back! There was a setting that you had to configure... I think it was the Alternate TFTP or something that seems to have no relation to what you were trying to do... I wish I would've wrote it down! I'm sure someone else has ran into this... I look forward to replies as well... HTH

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    JollycorkJollycork Member Posts: 149
    the CM router can provide IP addresses to phones and not muck up the computer end of things, if their on seperate vlans.

Cisco has the procedure to manually enter address on the phone, on the phone itself... if that helps.

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7975G, 7971G-GE, 7970G, 7965G, and 7945G Administration Guide for Cisco Unified CM 8.0 (SCCP and SIP) - Configuring Settings on the Cisco Unified IP Phone [Cisco Unified IP Phone 7900 Series] - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Haven't worked with a 7970 yet. With the old phones, you just needed to disable DHCP. Try that if you haven't already.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Hey it worked. Thanks guys. Disable DHCP and then you can specify the TFTP server manually. After that, it will locate the callmanager based on "ip source-address" from the telephony-service. Kind of unintuitive :)
  • Options
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    Kind of unintuitive :)

Shhhh

If Cisco products were intuitive, they wouldn't need us IT guys

:)
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Just wait until your company does not want to use DNS suddenly.

This hasn't happened to me, but is certainly is not easy to change XD (Requires a reinstall of the cluster).

On the DHCP subject, it actually makes sense (to me) that you would be unable to configure IP Address information manually if you have CM set to DHCP. Have you ever used something else that may require DHCP or static? If you tell it to use DHCP, usually the IP Address field becomes gray and you can no longer edit it. Tell it to use static, and you can edit it.

The only bit that sucks is that you can't choose that you only want these particular devices to be static. That is kind of lame, and unintuitive.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    chmorin wrote: »
    That is kind of lame, and unintuitive.

Shhhh

If Cisco products were intuitive, they wouldn't need us IT guys

( does this count as a double post? )

:)
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    ha. nope. you can post that about nearly any cisco troubleshooting thread -- it doesnt count as double-post because its universally accepted in the cisco world.