Finding jobs through Google

I'd like to find the job listings at select IT companies in Florida, but the problem is that Google doesn't seem to index company websites (like the "Careers" tab or section). It only seems to pull up places like Dice, Monster, Juju, etc, etc - job search services.

Is there a way to use Google where it will search XYZ Company's careers section, if you know what I mean? There are lots of IT companies in the state, but unless you know they exist, you don't know to go to their website!

Comments

• ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    Hi. I use the Job Search Engines for this.

I like and have used indeed and simply hired for this.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
    ssampier wrote: »

For example, XYZ Company doesn't use Indeed, Simply Hired, etc, and you'll never see XYZ's openings through those services or just by typing "jobs", "Florida" into Google. For some reason Google doesn't want to index like this.

I'm just using XYZ as an example. I don't have specific companies in mind, but I know that IT companies post jobs only on their websites, and it's these companies I'm trying to find.
  • howiehandleshowiehandles Member Posts: 148
    I've never used Google looking for jobs. I like Indeed.com
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Dr_Atomic wrote: »
    For example, XYZ Company doesn't use Indeed, Simply Hired, etc, and you'll never see XYZ's openings through those services or just by typing "jobs", "Florida" into Google. For some reason Google doesn't want to index like this.

I'm just using XYZ as an example. I don't have specific companies in mind, but I know that IT companies post jobs only on their websites, and it's these companies I'm trying to find.
    The careers section of a company web site may be blocked by robots.txt, may change too frequently to be indexed, may require a login, or may have other problems preventing Google indexing. Indeed is a job search engine, not a job board, so it is not a matter of XYZ Company using Indeed or not, it is a matter of Indeed knowing about the careers section of the company you want, or the job board they use. If you are not seeing jobs from a particular company you are interested in, then bookmark the careers section of their web site and check it periodically, or sign up for email notifications if available.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    other problems preventing Google indexing.
    Most companies don't want their HR jobs database and/or content management system database getting hammered by an internet search engine -- and most search engines hopefully won't try every random combination of input or field selection options to index those systems.
    Dr_Atomic wrote: »
    unless you know they exist, you don't know to go to their website!
    That's where you have to do your homework and find them. Hit up the phone books/internet white & yellow pages. Check the job board postings for all local jobs in any category to see if the Company Name sounds interesting and worth considering for additional research. Use Vendor Business Partner search web pages for the technologies you're interested in -- and then search their competitors too. Check out SIC codes and try to find listings by interesting SIC codes around your area. Once you've identified possible interesting companies, send them a resume -- don't wait for a job posting to appear on their website since someone else may have already sent them a resume and made it into the first interview group (and been hired). Some of the more interesting companies will be worth adding to your daily/weekly web job posting scan -- if you have any programming (and database) talent, program your own automated method for specific searches per web site and only list the new jobs.
    puppy001 wrote: »
    I want an i.t job icon_sad.gif none hires meicon_sad.gif
    Then you might want to post a sanitized version (no real personal information and obfuscate previous employer identities/contact information) of your resume over in the IT Jobs/Degree forum and get some feedback -- this is the second time you've posted none hires me, rather than no one hires me. If your resume/cover letter has gems like that, none will ever hire you. :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Then you might want to post a sanitized version (no real personal information and obfuscate previous employer identities/contact information) of your resume over in the IT Jobs/Degree forum and get some feedback -- this is the second time you've posted none hires me, rather than no one hires me. If your resume/cover letter has gems like that, none will ever hire you. :D

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□

Excellent! I hadn't heard of simply hired before, but my first search with them found me 3 entry-level positions about 80 miles away (although I think all 3 are actually the same job from different recruiters). It's a bit far to drive but I can't be picky right now.:D
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    Indeed and Simply Hired do rock. Granted there is a lot of junk on there. Pay close attention to the dates. Simply Hired sorts by Relevance first. Beware some jobs may be already closed. Generally it tells you when you to try to apply, however.

Networking, of course, is your best bet. I will admit this is my weak area. I am trying to improve.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□

And both of these sites have an alert feature you can enable so you do a search once, enable the alert and it sends the jobs to your email box.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.