Any alternate fields to IT if considering something else?

I've been into IT/networking for a while now and I'm entertaining ideas of moving into something different. I've worked in call center environments and a NOC supporting networking, but I'm looking into doing something less technical. I know it would probably pay less money, but I'm still considering it. I do have a generic college degree (don't ask) for what it's worth. I don't know if anyone else has done/considered this, but I would appreciate some input on it. Satisfaction with one's work counts for a lot.

Comments

• rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Dr_Atomic wrote:
    Satisfaction with one's work counts for a lot.

That is golden. It's going to be hard to find people to steer you away from IT since this is an IT forum lol.

What is it about the two environments you did/didn't like? How "less technical" are we talking? Have you tried any other sectors of IT?
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Does this post mean that http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/57657-just-offered-great-job.html didn't happen? Is that Navy thing still messing you up?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If you're even considering making a career change then maybe it's time to move on. You need to 1st focus on what you enjoy doing, do it well, and the $$ will follow.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    You'll be happier if you decide what career you want to transition to. I would be afraid that taking too much input on what career you should pursue would only lead to you not really enjoying it.

For example, there are many things I could be happy doing completely unrelated to IT, but IT is my first choice and even within IT, there are many specializations that I would be happy pursuing. Guess I'm easy to please, though.
  • uhtrinityuhtrinity Member Posts: 138
    Dr_Atomic wrote: »
    I've been into IT/networking for a while now and I'm entertaining ideas of moving into something different. I've worked in call center environments and a NOC supporting networking, but I'm looking into doing something less technical. I know it would probably pay less money, but I'm still considering it. I do have a generic college degree (don't ask) for what it's worth. I don't know if anyone else has done/considered this, but I would appreciate some input on it. Satisfaction with one's work counts for a lot.

Either find a specialization in IT that appeals more to you, or go into IT education. Those are the first that come to mind before making a complete career change.
    Technology Coordinator, Computer Lab Instructor, Network Admin
    BS IT Network Administration AAS Electronics / Laser Electro Optics