IINS/Security+ Overlap

mworwellmworwell Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey. I decided I wanted to learn security I few weeks ago. I have my CCNA and CCNA:Sec
would be a logical progression, but I wanted to get Security+ also since it is vendor neutral and more known. How realistic would it be to study for both at the same time, and how much information overlap is there between the two exams?

Comments

• peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There is some overlap in the idea of terminology. Studying for both shouldn't be too hard because a hashing, encryption, man-in-the-middle attacks, etc... is all the same regardless of platform. The CCNA Security is going to focus on configuring Cisco Routers & Switches whereas the Security+ will give you the theory behind the security terms. HTH.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    exactly what was said above. i found that moving onto ccna: security after security+ was a very easy transition.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • mworwellmworwell Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok. Thanks for the replies. I started both books (IINS Study Guide and the Darril Gibson Security+ book) and there are similar so far. I'll study the theory mostly from the Security+ and do Hands on labs with the Cisco stuff.
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mworwell wrote: »
    Ok. Thanks for the replies. I started both books (IINS Study Guide and the Darril Gibson Security+ book) and there are similar so far. I'll study the theory mostly from the Security+ and do Hands on labs with the Cisco stuff.

That sounds like a winning combination to me!! Good luck with your studies icon_thumright.gif

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • JaCkNiFeJaCkNiFe Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mworwell wrote: »

I am studying them together as well. :) Great introductions to security.
    Lab on!
  • mworwellmworwell Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JaCkNiFe wrote: »
    I am studying them together as well. :) Great introductions to security.

Yeah I agree. I am enjoying it so far.