Buying Some gear.

Atorres19Atorres19 Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
[FONT=&quot]2x Cisco 2610 - $50/ea[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2x Cisco 2507 - $30/ea[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1x 20u half rack with power - $60[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2x Dell PowerEdge 2550s - $25[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] All cables included with the routers and the servers. The servers also come with spare 18Gb SCSI drives. Each of them already has 4x 18Gb SCSI drives with a RAID 0/1/5/10 capable RAID controller.
[/FONT]

Does This look like a good deal? buying it from friend at work. Comes out to $270.
He is letting me pay it out at $135 in two payments. Im using it for my CCNA studies.
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Comments

• NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    How nice is the rack is and are the 2600's XMs?

2507's are basically 2501's with a hub. Keep in mind that you only have one ethernet port, the rest are just repeaters.

Those Dells are probably pretty old if the disks are only 18GB. If they were used in a corporate setting, they most likely have a lot of hours on them and might give you problems. Companies tend to run their servers 24/7

Not a good deal if you ask me
  • Atorres19Atorres19 Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The Rack is in nice shape. The servers are fairly old running dual p3. They were used at home and not in the corp environment. What you think about just getting the two 2610's? I don't not believe they are XM
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The rack is probably a good deal

2610's go for as low as $10 on ebay.

Here's one for $29.00 buy it now, free shipping

Cisco 2610 Router perfect for CCNA/CCNP 2600/CISCO2610 - eBay (item 260661419856 end time Oct-07-10 08:40:05 PDT)

Although a 2610 isn't necessarily the way to go.

See if he'll sell you just the rack

:)
  • Atorres19Atorres19 Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Awesome thanks alot for your advice
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    Atorres19 wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot]2x Cisco 2610 - $50/ea[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]2x Cisco 2507 - $30/ea[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1x 20u half rack with power - $60[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]2x Dell PowerEdge 2550s - $25[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]All cables included with the routers and the servers. The servers also come with spare 18Gb SCSI drives. Each of them already has 4x 18Gb SCSI drives with a RAID 0/1/5/10 capable RAID controller. [/FONT]

Does This look like a good deal? buying it from friend at work. Comes out to $270.
    He is letting me pay it out at $135 in two payments. Im using it for my CCNA studies.

if you're going strictly Cisco CCNA/CCNP, you don't need the servers. This is a seriously overpriced bundle in my opinion and it's far from the bare minimum for your Cisco studies.

I recommend you get yourself at least an XM spec'ed router as it can handle 12.4 (not completely necessary on CCENT/CCNA level, but it's good to play with an up to date IOS). $50 for 2610 is overkill. I got FIVE of those for $10 from a Craigslist seller. They're useful for extra routers for more complex network topologies but they're not powerhouses by any means. Plus they only have a 10Mb Ethernet port rather than the 10/100Mb Fast on the bigger brothers.

3x 2600XMs
    2x-3x Cat2950s
    1x Cat3550 (if you can afford it or find one cheap)
    4x WIC 1Ts

That will get you through the CCNA. My rack is a little rediculous, but I happen to work for a Teir I ISP and I have access to a lot of 3 year surplus routers, but that minimum set up should get you going.

Som
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Why spend money when you can learn nearly everything for the CCNA using GNS3?
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
    mgeorge wrote: »
    Why spend money when you can learn nearly everything for the CCNA using GNS3?

while i value the GNS3 platform and use it at times, there's something that can't be duplicated when compared to a real lab. plus, nothing can give you the same feeling of supreme nerdiness when someone sees my lab rack in all it's glory. nothing.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    fyi, Dell switches do not run the Cisco ios.
    phoeneous wrote: »
    fyi, Dell switches do not run the Cisco ios.

those dells are actually rackmount servers. i don't see any switches in his bundle. regardless he's gettin' ripped off if he buys.