interview question about remote sites?

kahnkahn Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
hi guys

I have an interview after 2 days (2nd interview),
the company have 5 sites (5 branches in different cities) and where I'm going to be interviewed is the head office and running ISA 2004, Exchange 2003, Win2k3, Oracle database (but that is outsourced so no worries on that).

The question is that how can I remotely worked on these sites from the head office like supporting users on each site(city) as they are connecting to exchange server from their own respective branch, using oracle database from their own machines and sharing files and folders vice versa?

As I don't have any experience working different sites (in different cities or within city)

The head office has their own Dedicated ADSL.

I suppose all these kind of remote precesses accomplished through VPN or is there any other solution? (hardware or software I don't know what they are using).

I also don't know if they have routers or not (is it necessary to have a router in this situation as I have not seen one in their Server room)

Kindly help me out giving options to the question above that I can say to them in interview as this job means a lot to me because I'm currently jobless.

TIA,

Comments

• stevetsstevets Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I work for a company that has two separate sites, in separate cities. Previously, we used VPN to connect the two sites. But for some time now, we have been utilizing point to point T1 connections. With separate links for Data and Voice.

I'm not sure if they are asking how you would accomplish it with their current resources, or if they are looking for other possible methods.

If they are lacking a hardware VPN solution, you could always suggest some kind of software VPN solution, like Hamachi.

Judging by the sounds of their setup, they may not invest much money into their IT infrastructure. I say this because until recently, I had been working with ISA 2004, Exchange 2003, and Server 2k3. After four years, we are finally upgrading most of our systems.

Good luck!
  • kahnkahn Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks stevets,
    what type of softwares you used in PTP or you just used RDP or something else?
    and Yes they might ask how can I accomplish it with their current resources.
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What are the sites connected as vpn, t1 or so on? If so how are they connected via active directory and is it a single site or child domains or seperate domains? There are several ways to support them via remote assistance, altiris, remote desktop, and many other products on the market.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • kahnkahn Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thenjduke wrote: »
    What are the sites connected as vpn, t1 or so on? If so how are they connected via active directory and is it a single site or child domains or seperate domains? There are several ways to support them via remote assistance, altiris, remote desktop, and many other products on the market.

Thanks mate,
    I really don't know that how they are connected...they are using some NetView (if I'm correct) Remote support.
    I believe that all the other sites and their users are connecting to the head office AD.

what I'm suppose to say to that question? still not figuring it out icon_sad.gif