Options

Wha? I passed!

LlaneLlane Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Passed Security+ with a 813 today.

I was very surprised to say the least. I was already thinking about when to retake the exam. Just as other people have mentioned the test has a lot of oddly worded questions that can really make things a lot harder than they actually are.

Compared to the Network+ I found it to be very different. Net+ has a lot more straight up questions. On the Security+ exam you really have to think "Security" and apply common sense a lot more than simply going for technical knowledge. That was my own observation, anyhow!

I used the All-in-One Security+ Exam Guide from McGraw to prepare for the exam. I was expecting a little too much after using Mike Meyer's Book for the Network+, but I have to say it supplied me with the basic mindset of a security professional... which in the end helped me passing the exam. The book tends to go way beyond the exam objectives, which I found to be a little over the top in some cases. While I enjoy extra infos a whole lot it's really not necessary to explain every cryptographic function down to the math for the Security+ exam. It sure felt a little intimidating.. and there's really enough other material to cover.

Onward to CCNA!

Comments

• Options
    novovictusnovovictus Member Posts: 192
    Congrats!

If you thought that was intimidating just wait until if/when you attempt the CISSP!
    Working on: Doctor of Information Technology Information Assurance and Security @ Capella
  • Options
    K_RichK_Rich Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass, and for completing the trinity as well.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Welcome to the Trinity Club! icon_thumright.gif

Congrats on a great score. 91% also is pretty good!

Folks do need to understand though....750 is the same as 900! I am the type of person that would celebrate like no tomorrow if I had scored a 750 instead of my 870. Only because either score gets me the wallet card that's in my wallet right now. :D

You will never see me (or hopefully anyone else) get snide with folks who got a 750-790. I usually say a pass is a pass in case they have some hang ups...it's all about the pass. Your score isn't even on the transcripts! Just whether you passed or failed.

In any event, congratulations once again!
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    chuckleschuckles Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    cbsharpe0824cbsharpe0824 Member Posts: 153
    welcome to TE and congratulations are on order! Great job!
  • Options
    simtechsimtech Member Posts: 213
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    ranchdogranchdog Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass, Network+ is next for me. Opposite of what you did.
  • Options
    zjumperzjumper Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the pass!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    burner27burner27 Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!! I just took a practice exam and scored an 840. I need some work on the cryptography section.