Where to start?

winner9909winner9909 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am currently a Realtor and have been in that industry/mortgage industry since i graduated Highschool in 2002. The only post HS education i have are in real estate related fields. (sales licensure course, Pre broker Course). I am considering a career change to the IT field. I have no formal training but spend about 8 hours a day or so on the computer doing different every daythings( none which would be of any help getting an IT job)

If i wanted to pursue IT as a career path. Where should i begin? Which classes/certifications should i be looking into?

Comments

• apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    Welcome to TE!
    IT is an extremely broad field and before I can recommend any certifications, I'll introduce you to a few of the major career paths.

System Administration
    -Supporting your co-workers and making sure they're able to conduct business as usual. This usually entails knowledge of Windows XP & Windows 7 operating systems, Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008 (file access and user permissions) and Microsoft Exchange Server (email). Microsoft offers certifications for just about every skill level and product.

Network Administration
    -Configuring routers and switches to make sure everyone is connected and their data travels as quickly as possible. Those that pursue this area go for the Cisco or Juniper certifications.

Database Administration
    -Everything runs off of databases in some form or another. Bank accounts, medical records, customer invoices, and the like are stored in databases and are administered using Oracle, IBM DB2, or Microsoft SQL Server software.

Software Development
    -Creating programs using popular languages like C++, C#, Java, Ruby, etc. Just remember that good programmers never show up to work early, but instead are there from the previous day because they pulled an all-nighter :).

IT Consulting
    -Every company wants to save money. The IT consultant suggests and implements software, hardware, or training so that businesses can perform work more efficiently. If you have the gift of gab, this might be a good area for you.

IT Security
    -A company can't survive long if their data is unsecure. Security usually involves finding weaknesses (often called penetration testing or pen-testing), writing policies for others to follow, and keeping the company safe from any monkey business. The list of responsibilities for a security job varies wildly and I'd recommend checking out SANS: Computer Security Training, Network Security Research, InfoSec Resources for some more info and job trends.

This is a simplistic overview of IT, but I hope you are able to find an area you're interested in. I'm no expert in any of those fields, but I'm sure someone else here can give you more guidance once you have a general idea of what you want to pursue.
    Usus magister est optimus
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Check into the A+/Network+/Security+ certifications for a start.

CompTIA A+

CompTIA Network+

CompTIA Security+

From there you can get an idea of what you would want to do. I suggest going to school for IT.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • winner9909winner9909 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think i am most interested in NETWORKING
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    winner9909 wrote: »
    I think i am most interested in NETWORKING

I always feel your first certification should be the one that brings you to your trade. If networking is something you feel you have a strong interest in then go for network +. It's basic enough from what all the others say, yet has enough information to really teach you somethings.
  • Ivanr4g63Ivanr4g63 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A good percentage of people interested in starting an IT career are somehow working IT related jobs, or are computer geeks/nerds since they got their first computer for Xmas (no offense to all geeks and nerds out there icon_study.gif )

A career change to the IT field on the other hand is a bit tough since mostly it'll be a 360 degree turn, and you'll be starting basically from zero. But it isn't hard nor impossible and as long as this is something you want well... you're good to go, will power is the best tool to achieve what you want.

CompTIA Network+ is a great way to start in this field, and from there you can branch out to more specific fields within networking. Also if you do get your network+ certification there's a better chance to land a job on a company that'll give you more hands-on experience and push you to get more certs and more into the field itself.

Welcome to the world of IT, and best wishes on your career!
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would encourage you to start by reading the Network+ and then starting on the CCENT--> CCNA-->

My reason for saying this is that the Network+ holds very little market value. I'm not saying that studying for the Network+ won't help, but you are spending $250 on a certification that has little ROI.

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le0/le9/learning_certification_type_home.html

I am assuming that by NETWORKING you mean Network Administration and not System Administration.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you still have a pay check coming in from your Realtor gig you might want to consider trying some Community College courses. If you have the talent and skills needed for IT, you may impress one of your instructors and that could help jump start a career change.

Another option, if the Realtor pay check is no longer worth the effort, is to try an immediate jump to a help desk position -- preferably with a company that has some career growing room. Your people skills along with solid user level computer skills could get you in the door.

If you do try some self-study certifications, those along with your people skills could give you some options other than boring low-level mass-market help desk.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • winner9909winner9909 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i was kind of under the impression id start with A+ then move onto network+

would it of been better to go right to network+?
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you already have A+ knowledge then just skip it. If not then study for and get the A+.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.