Realistic for passing CCENT?

TJ_MANTJ_MAN Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
How realistic is it to try and study and pass the CCENT exam in 5-10 day. I have very little background in networking and just some basic knowledge. Do i even have a chance to pass or will this require much more time.

Comments

• SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    TJ_MAN wrote: »
    How realistic is it to try and study and pass the CCENT exam in 5-10 day. I have very little background in networking and just some basic knowledge. Do i even have a chance to pass or will this require much more time.

not very realistic if you've never done networking before. you need to be able to master subnetting, understand routing principles, and know the command line. not having ever touched cisco IOS will probably hurt you. give yourself at least 2-3mns. i'm not a fan of boot camps. your goal is to UNDERSTAND everything, not just spew out answers to exam questions.

think of the ccent as building a soild foundation for the higher certs, and networking in general. they didn't build the pyramids in a week. getting your certs should be no different.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    not very realistic if you've never done networking before. you need to be able to master subnetting, understand routing principles, and know the command line. not having ever touched cisco IOS will probably hurt you. give yourself at least 2-3mns.

think of certifying things as building a soild foundation. they didn't build the pyramids in a week. getting your certs should be no different.
    +1 I'm planning to get into my CCENT/CCNA studies after I complete WGU and I'm giving myself about 2 months time for each test.

@OP I doubt you could even braindump in that period of time set forth
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • TJ_MANTJ_MAN Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I figured it would take about that long. I was given a job opportunity and had until today to take the test. I started studying on the 17th and took the test today. I got a 725 so i wasn't to far off for the amount of time i was given.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's a really good score for such a short time. But did you actually learn anything or just cram (hopefully you didn't braindump) the material.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    i watched a bunch of training videos online, then i read the Cisco book cover to cover. I also tried to do as many practice test as i could. I think if i had another week or two that i could pass.
    i kinda figured when they game me that time frame that it was a little unrealistic but i wanted to see what others thought, especially people that had already passed it
  • mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TJ_MAN wrote: »

Not Very realistic, Please do your self a favor and take 3-4 mos to get it all down.
    We had a guy come into our NOC has a Level 3. He was Boot Camp CCNA and it showed.
    When my boss asked him to configure one of our customer's Managed FLFW's to add some staic routes he messed up big time. While we was in with my boss trying to explan the steps he took a different Level one Co-worker managed to edit a pre-made config to get all sites that were currenty down up and running. Then one of the other Level3 techs become available and took over...That guy was let go that day. He did not know ANYHING and it was his second day on the job.

The Moral of the story....Be prepared, Know stuff and do not think you will be a cisco expert in 5-10 days.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • ToddBToddB Member Posts: 149
    In my case NO, much more time- I would say after you went through all the study books and information, I spent about 1 month in prep before the exam. I would put more then 5-10 into labs (are you doing 20 hours a day)
    :thumbup:

Phil 4:6 "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God."
    the first 5 days i spent watching videos online for about 8-10 hrs a day and then the last 5 days i spent reading the text book. Obviously not going to get the current job offer but i will spend a lot more time studying and then take the test again to get my cert.
  • jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    Go back to your books and videos... spend 1 to 3 months maybe on studying CCENT. Also, reading and watching videos will not be sufficient, you need to setup a lab either via real switch/router or via GNS3/Packet Tracer. Practice makes perfect. I don't believe in reading in 5 to 10 days and passing the cert. The key word is LEARNING.....
  • 0Day0Day Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It took me about 5-10 days just to learn subnetting maybe even more.
    WIP: CISSP/ CCNP
  • desertmousedesertmouse Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't cram. This is the MOST important cert, as it's foundational, and you need EVERYTHING you learn. Nothing you learn will not be used later. It's all basics. With that said - I don't have it - yet. However, I'm sitting for it tomorrow.

You obviously lack experience so - it will bite you in the butt.

Example - I worked with a CCNA who couldn't explain to me how a linksys router worked, claimed since it wasn't Cisco he shouldn't have to know... After I/other co-workers cleaned up several of his messes when he couldn't get subnetting, DHCP scopes, exclusions, HA setup, basically he was worthless. Kind of like those advertisments for Bing! "search overload" - a bunch of crap you don't want. He was let go within a few weeks
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Example - I worked with a CCNA who couldn't explain to me how a linksys router worked, claimed since it wasn't Cisco he shouldn't have to know... After I/other co-workers cleaned up several of his messes when he couldn't get subnetting, DHCP scopes, exclusions, HA setup, basically he was worthless. Kind of like those advertisments for Bing! "search overload" - a bunch of crap you don't want. He was let go within a few weeks

Agreed. CCNET is the Network+ on steroids. Very important information filled exam, and should not be taken lightly. A week for a solid base of your future education is not enough.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.