Newbie Questions

blathanblathan Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all. Im currently taking classes in college but not any Cisco classes yet. I want to dive into it before starting them so i can get a head start.

Here is what i am working with:

Router 2610
with WIC-1DSU-T1

Catalyst Switch

I have the Switch connected to the Ethernet port of the router and i have a cable connected to the t1dsu card going to my cable modem. I guess that card is for a T1 line but can you use it like a normal Ethernet port to make this configuration work?

can you set the port on the T1 card to DHCP?

I just don't know how the T1 technology works or if this configuration is compatible.

I basically want to use the 2610 as the router for my whole house and have everything in my house connected to my switch. Any suggestions on other modules i might need to buy would be great too.

Thanks in Advance!

Bradley from Chattanooga

Comments

• hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    nope, sorry on the t1 thing. t1, ethernet, & cblemodems are all different and non-interchngible.
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You need two ethernet ports to connect to an ISP's modem, one for the modem and one for your switch. It's complicated to config and with some ISPs it's not even possible. Not a good newbie project IMO
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    blathan wrote: »
    Hello all. Im currently taking classes in college but not any Cisco classes yet. I want to dive into it before starting them so i can get a head start.

Here is what i am working with:

Router 2610
    with WIC-1DSU-T1

Catalyst Switch

I have the Switch connected to the Ethernet port of the router and i have a cable connected to the t1dsu card going to my cable modem. I guess that card is for a T1 line but can you use it like a normal Ethernet port to make this configuration work?

can you set the port on the T1 card to DHCP?

I just don't know how the T1 technology works or if this configuration is compatible.

I basically want to use the 2610 as the router for my whole house and have everything in my house connected to my switch. Any suggestions on other modules i might need to buy would be great too.

Thanks in Advance!

Bradley from Chattanooga

You'll need a 26x1 (preferably an XM) or a NM-FE1-TX module. Netwurk is right.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    nope, sorry on the t1 thing. t1, ethernet, & cblemodems are all different and non-interchngible.

T1, ethernet, and cable modems all use different layer 2 frames (even though the wiring and connection may be 'similar'..in fact, layer 1 is also different but not on the surface), so connecting them together requires some kind of device (a router, usually) to translate between them.