Linux+ Progress

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
So I am just working through Linux+ slow and steady. I just finished both vtc.com Linux+ sets. CBTnuggets and Sybex's Linux+ book. It's worth noting I took a linux+ class a few years ago and a Introduction and advanced Unix class for my degree.

I have been running Linux on and off for years and only in the last 6 months have been using it as my primary OS.

So I spent basically 10 hours yesterday and most of today studying. I am gonna also go the same thing tomorrow. I am dreaming that I will be ready to take the exam Saturday.
-Daniel

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good luck on your exam. I'm also slowly studying for this but at a much slower pace. I may decide not to get this cert once I'm ready for it as I basically want some Linux skills.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    I am dreaming that I will be ready to take the exam Saturday.

Damn Dan, I read a book and ran through Transcender a couple of times. If only half of all that is sinking in, you should destroy that exam. There's some obscure garbage on there, but it's still entry-level.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yeah, this is terrible. Is it "-a or -A", LILO and memorization about distributions that don't exist anymore! I seriously remember why I hate Comptia again.

I am only doing this for two reasons
    1) I need a break from Route since it's destroying my will to live
    2) Quick Resume boost for a job I am going for

I am trying to get a little something extra our of this whole thing though. If they talk about Apache, I set it up and work through an Apache book. We talk about DNS zones, I set one up. I have about 10 VMS going :)
    -Daniel
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Yeah, this is terrible. Is it "-a or -A",
    1. LILO and memorization about distributions that don't exist anymore!
    2.I seriously remember why I hate Comptia again.

I am only doing this for two reasons
    1) I need a break from Route since it's destroying my will to live
    2) Quick Resume boost for a job I am going for

I am trying to get a little something extra our of this whole thing though.
    3. If they talk about Apache, I set it up and work through an Apache book.
    4. We talk about DNS zones, I set one up.
    5. I have about 10 VMS going :)
    1. I don't think LILO is in the objectives anymore. Maybe you got yourself an outdated but free study guide still floating around out there on the web? Or maybe you are going for the old version of Linux+, which I am not sure is available anymore.
    2. You aren't the only one. They figured out how to get more $$$ from Linux candidates- by following LPI path, which separates client and server config and administration into two certs, each requiring 2 exams. icon_wink.gif I don't mind if LPI benefits from my cert pursuit, but CompTIA is a different story.
    3. Apache is LPIC-2 objective.
    4. So is DNS server configuration.
    5. Labbing it however will definitely increase your chances for passing the test.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think he may actually be going for the old linux+ certification. Since he said he going to take THE test, I think he may be after the 2004 edition.
    Yeah, you can still take the old version of the test through October 31st. I decided to go this route since I had CBTs, classes, books and friends who had already passed it in case I had questions. Also it won't ever expire under the old Comptia cert expiration policy. I believe the LPI version does.

Officially done studying the material. 3 CBTs, 2 books and about 400 question from the book. I have about 300 flash cards to get through. Mostly just options -A vs -a. --route vs --path stuff like that. And a HUGE amount of log files locations. Trivia.
    -Daniel
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Alright, I passed today. Something in the low 700s, I don’t have my score in front of me. Just wanted to do a quick post and give a couple recommendations…

1) Lilo know every subcommand and option
    2) BIND, if you have never setup local DNS and BIND before I don’t see how you can pass this test
    3) Hot keys, I was shocked how hard I was tested on hotkeys. CTL+Alt+Backspace etc etc. Seriously.
    4) A+ trivia, packed full of IRQ and memory address questions straight from the A+ cert
    5) They spend a lot of time messing you up on the syntax of commands rather than the purpose of the commands. Things similar to is it A) tar myfile.tar /home/* or is it B) tar /home/* myfile.tar things like that where they just spin the questions arounds

Bottom line, this test is retiring and I am glad. You are tested in unfair detail on subject matter long dead. I only did the exam for resume filler since my job paid for the whole thing 
    -Daniel
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!

Thanks for the head up. Guess I will have to spend more time with my linux box when I start my Linux+ track.
  • krauserkrauser Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations, well done. icon_thumright.gif