Options

If given the chance which do you recommend the GRE or GMAT?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
The school I am looking at requires either or for the professional MBA track. Not to sound like a slacker, but this is a highly competitive school, so I am trying to determine which test would suit me the best. Any personal experience on these exams would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    pml1pml1 Member Posts: 147
    N2IT wrote: »
    The school I am looking at requires either or for the professional MBA track. Not to sound like a slacker, but this is a highly competitive school, so I am trying to determine which test would suit me the best. Any personal experience on these exams would be greatly appreciated.

I was in a similar situation some years ago, and I chose the GRE because it was cheaper icon_smile.gif. I don't know if that's still the case though.

I can't speak for the GMAT, but the GRE was basically a slightly more more difficult SAT plus a writing component.
    Excellence is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    pml1 wrote: »
    I was in a similar situation some years ago, and I chose the GRE because it was cheaper icon_smile.gif. I don't know if that's still the case though.

I can't speak for the GMAT, but the GRE was basically a slightly more more difficult SAT plus a writing component.

It seems the GMAT is defiently geared towards business. I went to www.mba.com and they had a small write up.

GRE seems more for sciences and engineering. I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time :)
  • Options
    over9000over9000 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you don't know what graduate studies you really want to do, and you want the most flexibility, you're best off taking the GRE. Most business schools will accept the GRE and you could use your GRE scores to apply for engineering, sciences, and practically everything else.

If you know you only want to do business, then you can take the GMAT only. If you change your mind and want to do something else, you'll have to take the GRE for other disciplines.
  • Options
    brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    Not saying they don't exist, but in my search for an MS - MIS program and my search since then for potential MBAs I haven't seen one school, B&M or on-line, that had a GMAT requirement but would take the GRE in its place. They've all either been no required test or GMAT only.
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
  • Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The GMAT is for MBAs on a serious scale and the GRE is for most other graduate programs other than the medical fields. There are GRE concentrations for engineering degrees such as Computer Science and Electrical Engineering. Some schools do require both but they are few and far between and they are not usually the high scale schools. Check what the universities requirements are that you intend to apply to before you decide which test to take.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you want to do business, take the GMAT.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've never seen a B-school that accepts the gre. All the one's i've looked at, and thats alot of those, REQUIRE the gmat.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)