A= to include Windows 7 starting January 2011

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
Just saw this press release today.
Press Releases > CompTIA A+ Certification Exam Update Planned with New Content on Windows 7 Operating System

So expect to see some beta Windows 7 questions on the test now.
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    earweed wrote: »
    Just saw this press release today.
    Press Releases > CompTIA A+ Certification Exam Update Planned with New Content on Windows 7 Operating System

So expect to see some beta Windows 7 questions on the test now.

It's about time! LOL
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I actually thought there already were some. I knew Vista was for sure and assumed that Windows 7 would at least have a presence.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    At least CompTIA is announcing in advance. Big rep bump for them if they had a presence here. Big FAIL for MS in that department with their handling of the Server 2008 exams and not making ANY type of announcement.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    earweed wrote: »
    At least CompTIA is announcing in advance. Big rep bump for them if they had a presence here. Big FAIL for MS in that department with their handling of the Server 2008 exams and not making ANY type of announcement.

Yeah, I can understand anyone being disgruntled about that. Typical Microsoft method.
  • Ivanr4g63Ivanr4g63 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Vista has been on the A+ since the last change, good to know they're bringing Win7... within those two I don't think the A+ type-questions may be much different IMO because they formulate those question for configuration and setup of the OS purposes mainly, which I believe everyone who gets A+ certified should know anyways.
    02 cents
  • Nigel-JamesNigel-James Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have just purchased Mike Meyers A+ 7th edition exam guide. As far as I know the book does not cover Windows 7 at all. I am a little worried now as the exam (post January 2011) will ask questions that I may not know due to the book not covering Windows 7.

This will be my first certification exam.

Any help or advice on this matter is much appreciated.
    Eat or be eaten.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    how many linux and unix questions are on the vendor neutral A+ nowdays?

I shur as heck don't remember one...
    The book covers Vista and Vista is very similar to Windows 7 so you should be ok with what the book covers. Also notice that they gave advance warning of when the W7 questions will go live. Until then if any W7 questions are on the exam they will most likely be unscored beta questions.
    As for the A+ covering anything Linux, it has tarditionally covered Windows operating systems as that is the most prevalent OS out there at this time.
  • Nigel-JamesNigel-James Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks earweed.
    Eat or be eaten.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Time flies. When I took the A+, they were still covering Windows 95.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    I have just purchased Mike Meyers A+ 7th edition exam guide. As far as I know the book does not cover Windows 7 at all. I am a little worried now as the exam (post January 2011) will ask questions that I may not know due to the book not covering Windows 7.

This will be my first certification exam.

Any help or advice on this matter is much appreciated.

Meyers book is a great book and I would recommend just taking it before January to avoid the 3yr. recert policy as well as avoiding any Windows 7 questions. :)
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

Time flies. When I took the A+, they were still covering Windows 95.
    I took mine 2 years ago and I remember the references to 95. I was actually hoping for references to Windows 3.x as I pretty much went from that to Windows Me (yeah POS) personally.
  • hunterthuntert Banned Posts: 231
    mike meyers will probable post info on his website as well as professor messer also if you know the other stuff there will probably not be enough questions about windows seven to make you fail