Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You guys picked a good time to switch as the Server 2008 exams are all being upgraded to Server 2008 R2 and MS hasn't got any study material out for the updated tests. Someone on here took the 70-646 and it has R2 questions on it so I can safely assume the 70-647 will have R2 questions also even though MS hasn't updated the skills measured for the 2 pro exams.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes I seen the exams are changing. I already have MCITP:EA though so that is not a problem. I just was going to do the security awhile ago and decided to go the other route. I am going to talk to her to find out about changing.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    For a hot second I was tempted to change to the Databases track to cut down on paperwork, then I realized-- I jumped on the general BSIT train so I could get exposure to areas I haven't waded into yet. I ended up staying put.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • kkearney75kkearney75 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am certain this has been answered somewhere in the prior 36 pages, but we can ask again, I'll be starting EWB soon, what should I be studying, or doing to prepare myself?

My advisor told me to look over the student portal carefully and read over the WGU web site as well. Did you already get the email regarding the EWB orientation? I watched it already, won't do the Q&A session. I think I have a good grasp of the general idea.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    kkearney75 wrote: »
    My advisor told me to look over the student portal carefully and read over the WGU web site as well. Did you already get the email regarding the EWB orientation? I watched it already, won't do the Q&A session. I think I have a good grasp of the general idea.

You'll be spending most of your time in Mindedge...once you have done all your tasks there (creating a signature in your WGU email (which should already be available to you), going to the EWB community and introducing yourself, etc., etc.) you are done with EWB. Just dedidcate 5-7 hours (it will take that long....this is not a 30 minute course), during the day and knock it out. It should not take you longer than that to complete. Then give mentor a call next day to set up AAP, and you're set and ready to rock and roll.
  • uhtrinityuhtrinity Member Posts: 138
    Just had the first introductory call with my new mentor, turns out she is from an IT background almost identical to what I do now. It also appears that EWB is different for a Masters program, so I have to do most of that minus the webinar. Hopefully that can be finished by the end of the weekend, if not the end of tomorrow. icon_lol.gif

Thanks to those fast trackers for the inspiration. My goal is to complete this program in 12 - 18 months, though I'm leaning towards the 12 month end of the goal.
    Technology Coordinator, Computer Lab Instructor, Network Admin
    BS IT Network Administration AAS Electronics / Laser Electro Optics
  • 2E1512E151 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It looks like WGU is certification driven; I'm planning on starting my degree once I knock out my CCNA. By that time I should have CCNA, CWNP, MCSA, and Security+

Does this shave time off your degree with WGU?
    2E151 wrote: »
    It looks like WGU is certification driven; I'm planning on starting my degree once I knock out my CCNA. By that time I should have CCNA, CWNP, MCSA, and Security+

Does this shave time off your degree with WGU?
    Yeah the MCSA will help knock out some and Sec+ is counted. The CWNP doesn't knock out anything. If you have some college credit that'll transfer in you may qualify for the IT scholarship also.
    The MCSA will knock out your 2 classes that correspond to the A+ and the CCNA will either knock out the CCNA class (if security) or the Net+ class.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    earweed wrote: »
    Yeah the MCSA will help knock out some and Sec+ is counted. The CCNA will only knock out anything if you're going into security. The CWNP doesn't knock out anything. If you have some college credit that'll transfer in you may qualify for the IT scholarship also.
    The CCNA does transfer in for the Net+. I had to verify when I was about to go over to the dark side. (IT:NDAM)
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
    There are only 2 or 3 gen ed courses which are actually time consuming and/or intellectually challenging.

LAT1 being one of them (time consuming....not so much intellectually challenging, BUT that depends on the topic). LAT1 probably can be breezed through if you have no other time commitments (read: 40+ hour a week job) and by breezed through...at least a week and a half/two weeks tops (APA formatting is TERRIBLY particular....if so much as one thing (in my case two things) are not right, you will have to do it again...and you don't even get hints at what you did wrong). LAE1, by contrast, can be done in one week or less. (Keep in mind though, that this is assuming writing is not an issue for you, personally.) LUT1 is based on LAT1, and is only a 5-7 minute presentation based on the crap you did for LAT1.

My two math courses I'm gonna be bugging earweed for sure....lmao! He may need to clear his schedule when that happens.....icon_lol.gif
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Out of curiosity, is the pre-assesment for QLC1 an accurate idea of how hard the test will be?
    Are TS graders really on a 24x7 clock? I'm just wondering if I should expect my second task for LAT1 back sometime tomorrow. I'll start on Task 3 tomorrow morning anyway, but I'm just wondering.

I ask because I'm not sure if I should expect something back on a Sunday...

Edit: Yeah.....they really are a 24x7 shop. Got my second task graded successfully. Woohoo!!
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Did anyone else transfer in with a Net+? What course was waived?

It seems that they waived the CCNA class.... problem is the BSITS requires a CCNA:Security.... My mentor is looking into it, but I don't know if anyone else had this issue.
    SephStorm wrote: »

It seems that they waived the CCNA class.... problem is the BSITS requires a CCNA:Security.... My mentor is looking into it, but I don't know if anyone else had this issue.

(Had to look at my signature real quick)

Net+ waived TNV1 for me. If I waited until January, 2011 to enroll, personally, that wouldn't have been the case.
  • simtechsimtech Member Posts: 213
    erpadmin wrote: »
    (Had to look at my signature real quick)

Net+ waived TNV1 for me. If I waited until January, 2011 to enroll, personally, that wouldn't have been the case.

Yup, got TNV1 waived for my net+. Looking forward to start in Nov1st.
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LAT1 being one of them (time consuming....not so much intellectually challenging, BUT that depends on the topic). LAT1 probably can be breezed through if you have no other time commitments (read: 40+ hour a week job) and by breezed through...at least a week and a half/two weeks tops (APA formatting is TERRIBLY particular....if so much as one thing (in my case two things) are not right, you will have to do it again...and you don't even get hints at what you did wrong). LAE1, by contrast, can be done in one week or less. (Keep in mind though, that this is assuming writing is not an issue for you, personally.) LUT1 is based on LAT1, and is only a 5-7 minute presentation based on the crap you did for LAT1.

My two math courses I'm gonna be bugging earweed for sure....lmao! He may need to clear his schedule when that happens.....icon_lol.gif

I might be bugging him too. I am horrible at math :) LAT1 I do not even want to bother with.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How long after AAV were you able to start classes? I had mine yesterday morning but still haven't received anything to get into class or response about taking an assessment.
    eansdad wrote: »
    How long after AAV were you able to start classes? I had mine yesterday morning but still haven't received anything to get into class or response about taking an assessment.

[You finished EWB! WOO HOO!!!!! Gift card on the way.. :D:D:D]

If you accepted AAV (your mentor should have helped you with that too, but I believe it was in EWB) you can start your classes right now. You will want to forward your wgu.edu email to your normal e-mail account so that you get whatever you need. IF you aren't getting those e-mails, contact your mentor AND/OR student services. They will definitely take care of you!

You can request not to have the Net+ transferred in. Hopefully it's not too late for that since you already started.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yep, TVN1 is not on my degree plan at all. I will work with the school to figure something out with it.
    Yep, TVN1 is not on my degree plan at all. I will work with the school to figure something out with it.
    Net+ will also transfer in as that CCNA class (don't know Accronym for it) but you can appeal having the Net+ transferred in.
  • madmanmuromadmanmuro Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm just starting my first classes at WGU, how do I find the labsim stuff? It talks about in the COS but its not in the learning resources. A little confused here. Thanks
    madmanmuro wrote: »
    I'm just starting my first classes at WGU, how do I find the labsim stuff? It talks about in the COS but its not in the learning resources. A little confused here. Thanks
    You can go to the learning resources tab of the COS and request it from there or you can just ask your mentor to order it for you. Either way works.
    Net+ will also transfer in as that CCNA class (don't know Accronym for it) but you can appeal having the Net+ transferred in.

If the class requires CCNA then Net+ will always come up short.
    If the class requires CCNA then Net+ will always come up short.
    Straight from the transfer guidelines (formatting is f'd up)
    WGU College of Information Technology Undergraduate Transfer Guidelines (201007) Revised 06/24/2010 Page 4 of 5 [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]TNV1 [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]or [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]BGV1 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Networks I [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]or [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Network Fundamentals [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]6 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]CompTIA Network+ 2009 or certification in one of the following areas: MCSE, MCSA, MCA Messaging, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, MCITP Server Administrator, CCDA, CCIE, CCNA or CCNP, CCSP, CCVP, CompTIA DHTI+, CompTIA Convergence +, SCNA, SCSA, Oracle Linux Administrator. [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]*This requirement can be satisfied by an Associate degree or higher in Information Technology for this program. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]TNV1 is not a requirement in the Database, Security or Software emphasis programs. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial]BGV1 is a requirement in the Security emphasis program only. [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    The Net+ gives you credit for the class that you take the CCNA to complete.
    Straight from the transfer guidelines (formatting is f'd up)

The Net+ gives you credit for the class that you take the CCNA to complete.

I think you are misreading that. The TNV1 can be fufilled those ways, but the BGV1 is only fufilled through the CCENT.
    *scratches head*

That is messed up. Yes, there are some things they need to fix. icon_lol.gif

That's for TNV1 though. Network+ is supposed to satisfy that class as (like it or not) it is a a cert for Network Fundamentals. Routing professional, Network+ will not make you, but you will get a very elementary understanding of networking. (Very, very elementary.)

But for Security, don't you have to take a class for CCNA? OR is TNV1 it but you have to take your CCNA?
    But for Security, don't you have to take a class for CCNA? OR is TNV1 it but you have to take your CCNA?

I was just reading over the security class and it seems that you take the CCNA (not CCENT--> ICND2.) So I think that was a mistake that shouldn't have happened. There is only one networking class in the Security Emphasis and that is the CCNA (BGV1.)

BS IT - Security Course of Study
    I was just reading over the security class and it seems that you take the CCNA (not CCENT--> ICND2.) So I think that was a mistake that shouldn't have happened. There is only one networking class in the Security Emphasis and that is the CCNA (BGV1.)

BS IT - Security Course of Study

Ok see....now that does make sense.

CCNA would be for BGV1. (Network Fundamentals)
    Network+ for TNV1 (Networks I)

Network+ (any that was earned within 5 years) will satisfy TNV1 but should not satisfy BGV1.

You have to take the composite, though?!
    I took that straight from the transfer guidelines. The Net+ satisfies the requirement for BGV1. If you want to take that class (BGV1) you'll have to do some sort of appeal if WGU has already accepted your Net+. In reality the Net+ and CCNA are not equivalent (there used to be a law written by someone who changed their name) but I'm just stating what the transfer guidelines say (and apparently what sephstorm just found out)
    But if you have the Net+ satisfy BGV1 then you will have to get the CCNA on your own as you have to have the CCNA first before getting the CCNA security ( What you get for the BLV1)