Good things come to those who wait

For me at least...... I will be starting a new job on Monday and I am really excited about it. Techexams has played a huge part in my preparation and developement. It will be a big transition since I have been in the IT field working for the same company for the last 25 years. The company sold a software suite nationwide and I was involved on the hardware side of the business. Although I had general knowledge and was an expert within the company, I did not have a degree or any certifications. I made a good living and planned to stay at the company until I retired.

Things changed with ownership and assigned duties, and I decided to work on certifications. My desire was get a network adminstration/engineering position, and after working through my certifications, I have landed a position.

So for everyone else, keep studying, keep learning and good things are bound to happen.
I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
Page Count total to date - 1283

Comments

• rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations!! This is definitely a motivator :)
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations on the new job!! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!
  • SynthrosSynthros Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man -- that's great news!
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    miller811 wrote: »
    For me at least...... I will be starting a new job on Monday and I am really excited about it. Techexams has played a huge part in my preparation and developement. It will be a big transition since I have been in the IT field working for the same company for the last 25 years. The company sold a software suite nationwide and I was involved on the hardware side of the business. Although I had general knowledge and was an expert within the company, I did not have a degree or any certifications. I made a good living and planned to stay at the company until I retired.

Things changed with ownership and assigned duties, and I decided to work on certifications. My desire was get a network adminstration/engineering position, and after working through my certifications, I have landed a position.

So for everyone else, keep studying, keep learning and good things are bound to happen.

Thats great news.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Awesome, and a nice story!

Congratulations and all the best in the new job!
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Very great story and it does happen this way :)
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Great story! GL at your new job!
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations,

We all think at some time that we will finish our life working for some company we give it every thing but suddenly loses every thing.

I'm kinda in similar situation, I've lost my job and decided at the beginning of 2010 to get certification, I'm almost done and started to look for a new job.

TE has helped me a lot as well so thanks to every one here.

Good luck for you, that' really great news, I hope that someday soon I will have some great news as well.
  • cbsharpe0824cbsharpe0824 Member Posts: 153
    That's awesome news Miller....
    Patience is indeed a virtue.....

Hope you do well in your new position..
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Congrats !!! feels good to get a well earned reward after all the hard work icon_cheers.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well done.

I an hoping to be able to report some good job news soon myself.
  • ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    Sweet :)
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Congrats!! I like to hear good news on a Friday!!
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! What type of position will you be working in now?
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Congrats! What type of position will you be working in now?

It will be a route/switch network administration position within a very large network. I will be on a team and I will be doing break fix remote support, trouble calls, switch configurations, VPN issues, access points, etc... After studying non stop for 3 years, it is going to be great to finally be able to put into practice everything I have been learning. And I am even more excited to be able to do targeted studying in the future (be able to study technology, configurations) and put it play the next day.

The moral of the story of for me, is all of my co-workers told me I was wasting my time studying for three years..... I am currently preparing for my 14th certification exam, and hope to complete the ARCH exam before 11/1 to complete my CCDP. My ultimate goal is to achieve CCIE R&S, which never would have seemed possible, but now I will be working in the arena on a daily basis, it should be achievable. I have also set my sites on returning to school to get a degree.

For me, I am never going to waste a single day without attempting to study or learn something. And like I said techexams has played a huge role, since every day I learn something new just visiting this site.icon_cheers.gif

• za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    miller811 wrote: »
    For me, I am never going to waste a single day without attempting to study or learn something. And like I said techexams has played a huge role, since every day I learn something new just visiting this site.icon_cheers.gif

I totally agree with this, I've been in no land zone for three years working a steady job and gaining respectable money but zero learning. I was working for 8 hours no extra time don't read anything and just comfortable.There was no motivation to do something extra...

Until at the beginning of 2010 when my company was broken I decided this has to change, I began the actual study at March finished 4 exams till now and planning to finish another 3 by end of 2010.

I've never been happier on this level, I'm planning to continue studying/testing for a long time and this site has been a tremendous help in getting the motivation to study thanks to great members and I am learning from it every single day.
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Always great hearing an uplifting story like this :)

Well done mate and good luck with the new job and the CCDP quest :)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    APA wrote: »
    Always great hearing an uplifting story like this :)

Well done mate and good luck with the new job and the CCDP quest :)

thanks, and I use your quote on your signature every day

"The most valuable thing a man can waste is time.........."

and another I have seen here....

"the day you stop learning is the day you become obsolete".

And I really enjoy this one that I saw one day while driving, which has helped me tremendously.

"He who angers you, controls you"

you control your destiny, now go and achieve it.icon_thumright.gif