CCENT - T Minus 1.5 Hrs and counting

desertmousedesertmouse Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
So, my impulse buy about a month ago or so was a test voucher for the CCENT. In the last few months I've been working with a lot of Cisco WAPs, WLCs, and some routers/asa/switches. Learned a lot of neat stuff in the last month studying for this exam, and look forward to more.

/rant on Basic networking backround before, but never the goofy Cisco terminology. (I understand it's industry "standard") Sad part is - I know about encapsulation, wifi configurations, different VLAN/trunking/routing protocols/etc. but get tripped up on the basics that seem to come up in studying for CCENT. ie. do you plug the power cord in for a switch, or turn the power on for a router. Goofy stuff like this that is on Cisco's website really turns me off! Like who isn't going to know to plug the darn thing in if they want it to turn on... /rant off

Anyway - I hope my hands on experience serves me well, and of course I can subnet like no-ones business, do that every day. I just hope they don't put too many goofy questions on the exam.

I was debating not posting this - but I wanted to hold myself accountable.

FYI - my studying over the last month included -

minimal hands-on at work
Cisco's sample review questions
Boson exsim questions
old school CCNA book (circa 2000?)
some CBT nuggets

we'll see what happens.......

Comments

• Carpe JugulemCarpe Jugulem Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck to you! Glad you posted up. ;)
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Best of luck to you...

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good luck. I'm testing for an exam too today, so lets make two wins!
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
    chmorin wrote: »
    Good luck. I'm testing for an exam too today, so lets make two wins!

I sure enough forgot about your exam today... as you've asked for... I wish you "skills and competence" on your exam!! icon_thumright.gif Best of luck to the two of you...

-Peanut

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    good luck!!
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    but get tripped up on the basics that seem to come up in studying for CCENT. ie. do you plug the power cord in for a switch, or turn the power on for a router.

you'd be surprised how many people look for the power button on a catalyst switch though.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    Good Luck
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • eserfelizeserfeliz Member Posts: 134
    Good luck, guys
    MCP, HDI-SCA, MCDST, Network+, MCTS: W7C, MCITP: EDST7, BS: MIS

In progress: MCSA (70-290 & 70-291), CCENT, CCA XenDesktop 5
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Have you passed yet?

Retroactive Good Luck!! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • desertmousedesertmouse Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    passed - thanks for all the well wishes!

Tripped me up that I couldn't go back, I think I missed one of the questions with multiple parts (as in clicked Next and skipped the rest of them - lol)

Anyway - I know I can't say too much b/c of the "rules" but I will say - I was impressed with the topics it covered, and would be happy to have any jr. engineer working with me who could thoroughly understand what that exam covers.

Now - onto ICND2 as I need to get this tidied up before the year end reviews come out... :D640-816 ICND2 - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the pass!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    passed
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

Good Luck with your ICND2 studies icon_study.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • simtechsimtech Member Posts: 213
    Congrats and good luck for part 2!
  • eserfelizeserfeliz Member Posts: 134
    you're my hero, desertmouse, congrats!
    MCP, HDI-SCA, MCDST, Network+, MCTS: W7C, MCITP: EDST7, BS: MIS

In progress: MCSA (70-290 & 70-291), CCENT, CCA XenDesktop 5

CONGRATS!!! Good luck with the ICND2 icon_study.gif

-Peanut

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Carpe JugulemCarpe Jugulem Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Awesome! Congrats man!
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□

Tripped me up that I couldn't go back, I think I missed one of the questions with multiple parts (as in clicked Next and skipped the rest of them - lol)

Anyway - I know I can't say too much b/c of the "rules" but I will say - I was impressed with the topics it covered, and would be happy to have any jr. engineer working with me who could thoroughly understand what that exam covers.

Now - onto ICND2 as I need to get this tidied up before the year end reviews come out... :D640-816 ICND2 - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

Congrats! I'm sure it feels great. This week had a few decent passes nearing the end of it, almost everyone I saw testing passed! It is nice to see weeks like this =) Have a good party weekend. Personally I'm celebrating with a cigar and some other beverages XD

I'd invite you to join me but we are probably far from local.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.