Had a phone interview for Data Quality Analyst position

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Wish me luck. The pay is about 10,000 more than what I am making now and it is business support. HR and Payroll utilize data files and I would be on the team that supported these files. I would do incident and problem management for data file issues. I would also clean up the data that comes from their applications and massage it in Excel and/or Access.

I currently work in helpdesk tier 2, so this would be a big jump. It sounds more business oriented, but that is cool with me.

Anyone familiar with this type of position?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Wish me luck. The pay is about 10,000 more than what I am making now and it is business support. HR and Payroll utilize data files and I would be on the team that supported these files. I would do incident and problem management for data file issues. I would also clean up the data that comes from their applications and massage it in Excel and/or Access.

I currently work in helpdesk tier 2, so this would be a big jump. It sounds more business oriented, but that is cool with me.

Anyone familiar with this type of position?

Sounds like a pretty interesting gig. Are you interested in getting more on the business side than the technical? Honestly, I don't really know what you even do now or what SAP is.. I've looked it up but couldn't find anything. I would like to demystify you someday haha.. it is pretty clear cut what almost everyone else on here does. Also, did you also mean to say "massage" the data? Nonetheless, good luck man!
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    xmalachi wrote: »
    Sounds like a pretty interesting gig. Are you interested in getting more on the business side than the technical? Honestly, I don't really know what you even do now or what SAP is.. I've looked it up but couldn't find anything. I would like to demystify you someday haha.. it is pretty clear cut what almost everyone else on here does. Also, did you also mean to say "massage" the data? Nonetheless, good luck man!

I am defiently more into the business role first, since business drives IT initatives. But I also really enjoy the IT side. Creative reports and utilizing SQL to mine data is a lot of fun. Unfortantly I haven't been able to do it very much. I've done some low level reporting using pivot tables and charts. I've also created forms and reports in Access. Most people on here know about networking and servers, that's not me. Not that I wouldn't mind it, but I have several years of business experience. So that helps me along in the business realm. Either way this team is defiently viewed as a true "business" group.
    I am defiently more into the business role first, since business drives IT initatives. But I also really enjoy the IT side. Creative reports and utilizing SQL to mine data is a lot of fun. Unfortantly I haven't been able to do it very much. I've done some low level reporting using pivot tables and charts. I've also created forms and reports in Access. Most people on here know about networking and servers, that's not me. Not that I wouldn't mind it, but I have several years of business experience. So that helps me along in the business realm. Either way this team is defiently viewed as a true "business" group.

Gotcha, just a different perspective on IT if you will. Very cool man, I hope you get the position especially if you want to go that direction!
  • cbsharpe0824cbsharpe0824 Member Posts: 153
    Just prayed for you my friend. You will do well.
    Just prayed for you my friend. You will do well.

Thanks brother that means a lot!
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Wish me luck.

Gladly! All the best and good luck icon_thumright.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
    Took the pre employment exam via web and at the location of the job. I also had a 2 panel interview. I think it went pretty well. Wish me luck I hope I am almost there.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This sounds like a very good fit for you. This is a stepping stone for IT management down the line.

Good luck man. icon_thumright.gif
    erpadmin wrote: »
    This sounds like a very good fit for you. This is a stepping stone for IT management down the line.

Good luck man. icon_thumright.gif

Ahhhh thank you for the kind words my brother!

Have a wonderful day tomorrow!
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    xmalachi wrote: »

SAP is a major "ERP" (I will let you do some homework on that since you seemed to have started it, but that should help you out even more... ;) ).

He is pretty much on the "business analysis" side of IT. Those are the guys who translate business needs into technical specification.

A real simple example: HR wants to write a query to get everyone's birthday in the organization so that they can send a birthday card to the employee. HR will communicate this to N2IT. N2IT will then write out a spec to the Technical group (he will usually deal with a technical manager and that person will dole out the spec to a "programmer analyst"/"application developer"/"programmer"/"developer"/[by now you get the idea].) Technical group will then program the query, usually in a development environment. Tech group is done and now it's ready for prime time (migrate to production). A DBA/erp admin will take this query and move it to production with management approval (change management at work). The admin (this is what I do for real btw among other things) will then migrate to production and HR now has it's query to get employee birthdays.

N2IT will get to put those ITIL certs to work.

My boss (who runs IT) just took over the business analysis group. She wants her team (us) to understand the business needs so that we no longer need a B/A group. It truly is important for IT to understand the drivers of business so that it makes us truly indispensible and that other layer is not necessary. Guys like N2IT get the tech side though, so no matter where you put him, he's going to be allright. But business analysts, in general, aren't terribly technical and don't want to be.

EDIT: btw "massaging" data is the same as "making the data work" or "cleaning" it to make it work. If you massage it too much, it's pretty much fudging. :)
    SAP is a major "ERP" (I will let you do some homework on that since you seemed to have started it, but that should help you out even more... ;) ).

He is pretty much on the "business analysis" side of IT. Those are the guys who translate business needs into technical specification.

A real simple example: HR wants to write a query to get everyone's birthday in the organization so that they can send a birthday card to the employee. HR will communicate this to N2IT. N2IT will then write out a spec to the Technical group (he will usually deal with a technical manager and that person will dole out the spec to a "programmer analyst"/"application developer"/"programmer"/"developer"/[by now you get the idea].) Technical group will then program the query, usually in a development environment. Tech group is done and now it's ready for prime time (migrate to production). A DBA/erp admin will take this query and move it to production with management approval (change management at work). The admin (this is what I do for real btw among other things) will then migrate to production and HR now has it's query to get employee birthdays.

My boss (who runs IT) just took over the business analysis group. She wants her team (us) to understand the business needs so that we no longer need a B/A group. It truly is important for IT to understand the drivers of business so that it makes us truly indispensible and that other layer is not necessary. Guys like N2IT get the tech side though, so no matter where you put him, he's going to be allright. But business analysts, in general, aren't terribly technical and don't want to be.

EDIT: btw "massaging" data is the same as "making the data work" or "cleaning" it to make it work. If you massage it too much, it's pretty much fudging. :)

Well said!

BTW We love the DBA's! :)

Sounds pretty awesome. I really appreciate the insight on this topic. +1
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck. Will keep fingers crossed.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
    thenjduke wrote: »
    Good luck. Will keep fingers crossed.

Thank you very much
    Still haven't heard word back yet. I sent HR a message inquiring about wether they made a decision yet or not. It's been about 7 business days so.......
  • cbsharpe0824cbsharpe0824 Member Posts: 153
    Still haven't heard word back yet. I sent HR a message inquiring about wether they made a decision yet or not. It's been about 7 business days so.......

Thanks for the update. I know the anticipation is killing you...hang in there!icon_thumright.gif
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    But I also really enjoy the IT side. Creative reports and utilizing SQL to mine data is a lot of fun. Unfortantly I haven't been able to do it very much. I've done some low level reporting using pivot tables and charts. I've also created forms and reports in Access.

My employer just bought course 154 and 160 from here and they have taken my t-sql query writing and reporting services knowledge to a whole new level. Well worth the low price in my opinion. I'm mainly a server/network guy but when it comes time to write and design reports, I'm all over it! It really is fun for me. icon_thumright.gif
    I'm still not out of this yet!

HR person sent me a message and said the hiring manager was out all week and that they will be making a decision in the next week or two. Before she ended the email she said I was still very much being considered for the job.

I am very hopeful for this job. This is something I really really want to do.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good luck and hope you land this.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.