CCNP Route scheduled...

CCNAwannabeCCNAwannabe Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
Oh man, I hope this goes well. I will be taking the route exam on Oct. 7th.

Does anyone have any handy way to convert IP addresses into Hex? I found this site:

Convert IPv4 into IPv6 - Fnode Networks

Which does a fairly descent job of explaining.

I use this for my subnet / prefix questions with IPV4 and it helped immensely:

8 16 24 | 255
9 17 25 | 128
10 18 26 | 192
11 19 27 | 224
12 20 28 | 240
13 21 29 | 248
14 22 30 | 252
15 23 31 | 254

I roam these forums but hardly post, thanks to all of you for helping me out with my studies! I'll let you guys know how I do. Hopefully it won't be like my CCNA when I failed the first time by 2 points.. that would be a bummer.

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good Luck!! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    GOOD LUCK!!!

I take my SWITCH on Monday. The ROUTE was tough, but if you're well prepared you will crush it!!!

Prior Preparation Prevents Poor Performance... The 5P's

Tell us how you go!

Regards,
    David
    Failure is a stepping stone to success...

• Does anyone have any handy way to convert IP addresses into Hex?

This is what I do:

Ex. 192.168.1.1

Convert to binary:

Break each octet into two blocks of 4 bits

1100-0000-1010-1000-0000-0001-0000-0001

Convert each block to decimal:

12-0-10-8-0-1-0-1

Convert to hex:

C-0-A-8-0-1-0-1
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Very helpful example. I never thought about it like that.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • CCNAwannabeCCNAwannabe Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I rescheduled the route exam for today and just got back. I passed!!! Gah what a pain in the butt. Scored an 877, I rescheduled b/c the OU/Texas weekend is upon us and I didn't want to study this weekend! =) BOOMER

I used CBT Nuggets, GNS3 and the cisco official cert guide to help me.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I reschedule the route exam for today and just got back. I passed!!! Gah what a pain in the butt. Scored an 877, I rescheduled b/c the OU/Texas weekend is upon us and I didn't want to study this weekend! =) BOOMER

That's cool, well done sir!!! so what have you got left to do then till you get the CCNP??

For other people starting out on the ROUTE I have a page on my blog of extra reading material out side of the official press books.

Course Materials | DEVILWAH's BLOG

Not much on it yet but If any one has some suggestions for documentation I might want to look at I would love to hear about it.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    That's cool, well done sir!!! so what have you got left to do then till you get the CCNP?? .

I still have SWITCH and TSHOOT =( I have read your transgressions on the SWITCH exam and am nervous. I'm going to take the weekend off and start my switch studies and hopefully have the switch exam taken in 1 or 2 months.
    I still have SWITCH and TSHOOT =( I have read your transgressions on the SWITCH exam and am nervous. I'm going to take the weekend off and start my switch studies and hopefully have the switch exam taken in 1 or 2 months.

To be honest I think after the first attempt, where the exam crashed and stuff. I went in the second time looking for issues. And there are lots, but as I have mentioned in another post I think I took a bit to much form the first exam in with me. Rather than concentrate on getting a pass, I was seeing the typos and almost expecting questions to be poorly worded.

Don't get me wrong, I still think the exam needs a lot of tidying up and proof reading to get it right. But I am wondering if some of the problem was actual me. I should have been able to walk that exam I configure this stuff daily, and I know with a bit more labing I have it in the bag.

All I would say is in you studies lab every thing, for example don't just lab STP, and RSPT as separate Labs, but make them work together. Try to cram as many different topics from the book in to a single lab as you can. If you want open the book randomly at 5 different pages. Take the topic from each one and create a lab based on all 5. Don't just know how to configure each one alone, but know how to put them together.

Good luck and well done again :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • creamy_stewcreamy_stew Member Posts: 406 ■■■□□□□□□□
    DevilWAH: I think you're right. It's obvious you've done you're labbing and read the books. When you fail, adrenaline tends to take over.

After your second fail, I felt your adrenaline levels must've been off the charts since your first fail.

What's a bit funny is that if I had been you, I would probably have acted the same way. Either that, or I would have been realy super depressed.

/creamy_stew, postponing the BCMSN/SWITCH since vacation 2010 :)
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I rescheduled the route exam for today and just got back. I passed!!! Gah what a pain in the butt. Scored an 877, I rescheduled b/c the OU/Texas weekend is upon us and I didn't want to study this weekend! =) BOOMER

CONGRATS on your pass... Did you use the new ROUTE CBT Nuggets? I am on the fence with ordering them or getting the streaming subscription right now! Anyhow... Congrats again on your pass and good luck on your SWITCH!

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
    CONGRATS on your pass... Did you use the new ROUTE CBT Nuggets? I am on the fence with ordering them or getting the streaming subscription right now! Anyhow... Congrats again on your pass and good luck on your SWITCH!

-Peanut

From what I have seen the ROUTE CBT looks good, with lots of jsut get on and do it. IT contains quiote a fw labs he runs through, and he one I hve seen (basic EIGRP) looked nice with lots of bits thrown in.

The labs also are GNS3 topologies, so as long as you have the 2691 ios in your GNS 3 set up you can just import them ,with all the basic config set up ready to go. (after all who want to have to set up 12 loopback intefaces ;) )

I am thinking I will get my own subscription to CBT, it is a bit pricy I think for indivuals who jus want it for one or two videos series.
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    I am thinking I will get my own subscription to CBT, it is a bit pricy I think for indivuals who jus want it for one or two videos series.

This too is my dilemma... We'll see... I'm thinking of getting it to compliment my ROUTE FLG that is coming in. Decisions, decisions, decisions... as always, thanks DevilWAH!

-Peanut

-Mayor Cory Booker

-Peanut

Thanks Peanut, Yes I did use the new nuggets and they were extremely helpful, especially the labs, He gives you all the GNS3 lab topologies configured and it has a PDF with the things he needs done. So you can watch him lab it, configure it with the video, or try it on your own and then if you struggle with anything you can always watch the video to find out what you missed. This was the biggest aid in my studies. I would highly recommend.

Also I would recommend Packet Life their **** sheets on IGP's were helpful for review.
    Thanks Peanut, Yes I did use the new nuggets and they were extremely helpful, especially the labs, He gives you all the GNS3 lab topologies configured and it has a PDF with the things he needs done. So you can watch him lab it, configure it with the video, or try it on your own and then if you struggle with anything you can always watch the video to find out what you missed. This was the biggest aid in my studies. I would highly recommend.

Also I would recommend Packet Life their **** sheets on IGP's were helpful for review.

Thanks for the info... I've now been incentivized to make the purchase...

-Peanut

-Mayor Cory Booker
    Devil, Peanut: What did you guys use for your SWITCH studies? I have always used the CBT Nuggets, but I don't think SWITCH is out yet..
    Devil, Peanut: What did you guys use for your SWITCH studies? I have always used the CBT Nuggets, but I don't think SWITCH is out yet..

The SWITCH Nugget isn't out yet...

I used the SWITCH Foundation Learning Guide (invaluable to my studies), BCMSN Lab Portfolio, my home lab (2x3550 & 2x2950), Packetlife's community lab with the 3560s, Dave Hucaby's updates & corrections to the Official Exam Cert guide, and lastly the SWITCH portable command guide (I mainly used this early on in my studies when the commands weren't burned in to my head) icon_lol.gif HTH.

-Peanut

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    passed
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

Enjoy the game this weekend drunken_smilie.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats and enjoy the game

icon_thumright.gif

Being from Philly, nothing makes me happier than seeing Texas teams lose

(especially Jerry's bunch of overrated bums)

So go OU boomers or sooners or okies or whatever yins call 'em

:)
    netwurk wrote: »
    congrats and enjoy the game

icon_thumright.gif

Being from philly, nothing makes me happier than seeing texas teams lose

(especially jerry's bunch of overrated bums)

so go ou boomers or sooners or okies or whatever yins call 'em

:)

boomer sooner!!!