Cwap

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
I want to do the CWNA and the CWSP looks really interesting. I am about to move into a lot of wireless responsibilities at work (as the primary on all off our wireless gear). I think the CWNA and CWSP would be really good (as far as material) but I am looking at the CWAP as it looking like it would fit in with WCNA in terms of analysis of traffic. Since that is the direction I want to go with my career (IDS/IPS traffic analysis, Security and Linux) it seems like a logical cert. Anyone else thinking about it?

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Guess no one has thought about CWNA...

Ok. The CWNA and CWSP are in for sure. 40% of the CWAP test is related to Framing and 80% overall is related to analyst of wireless. That's very interesting. The material will be golden.
  • AmcoAmco Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The CWNP board is very very slow. icon_cheers.gif
    Amco wrote: »
    The CWNP board is very very slow. icon_cheers.gif

Lol are you considering either of these certs?
  • Unforg1venUnforg1ven Member Posts: 108
    The CWNA is a great foundation to all things 802.11

It does go in depth into the frame types etc.... but maybe not the level of the CWAP exam now being offered. Overall, the CWNA is a great foundation. Ask anybody who took the exam and will tell you it's a very very broad piece of material to say the least.

Good luck either way m8! It's even better if you can get hands on at work to apply the concepts.
    Next on Tap>> WGU B.S. IT - Network Administration
    MCSA:2008 Complete >> Capstone left!

####################################
    "One of God's own prototypes... too weird to live, too rare to die..."
    Unforg1ven wrote: »
    The CWNA is a great foundation to all things 802.11

It does go in depth into the frame types etc.... but maybe not the level of the CWAP exam now being offered. Overall, the CWNA is a great foundation. Ask anybody who took the exam and will tell you it's a very very broad piece of material to say the least.

Good luck either way m8! It's even better if you can get hands on at work to apply the concepts.

how long did you study for the CWNA?
    Started back in the beginning of January... stopped for several months, then jumped back into it end of July... passed end of August.

Started back in the beginning of January... stopped for several months, then jumped back into it end of July... passed end of August.

Cool. Did you use a lab for anything?
    lol are you considering either of these certs?

cwna & cwsp.
    cwna & cwsp.

How soon are you looking to do them?
    How soon are you looking to do them?

Going to schedule my exam for the CWNA close to the end of this month, not sure about the CWSP.
    Going to schedule my exam for the CWNA close to the end of this month, not sure about the CWSP.

Cool. I was thinking about starting prep for this next month or so (since I plan to start wireless roll out in January or so) and I will probably take that exam first quarter 2011 with CWSP shortly after. I think I want to start by reading the CWTS book (even though I don't want to take that test) because it seems like a good into to wireless book.

How long have you been studying? Do you work with wireless? How do you lab out different things?
    Cool. Did you use a lab for anything?

I used my own wrt54gv2 with tomato fw for various testing. Test all the security/encryptions/authentication types, AP modes etc....

Also used my alfa usb adapter for wireshark frame analysis + linux penetration testing.

I used my own wrt54gv2 with tomato fw for various testing. Test all the security/encryptions/authentication types, AP modes etc....

Also used my alfa usb adapter for wireshark frame analysis + linux penetration testing.

Awesome. Do you work with wireless?
    Man is it just me or a lot of this stuff is very dry! icon_redface.gif

Lol it can be.
    Friday night watching some TrainSignal Videos icon_study.gif
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Anything you are not interested in is "dry." If you need to know it then you just have to keep your nose to the wheel and push through the material. I really like wireless networking and amateur radio and wish I could do them for a living, but not everyone has the same taste.
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Anything you are not interested in is "dry." If you need to know it then you just have to keep your nose to the wheel and push through the material. I really like wireless networking and amateur radio and wish I could do them for a living, but not everyone has the same taste.

What are you thoughts on CWAP JD?
    Friday night watching some TrainSignal Videos icon_study.gif

Personally, I checked out some of the trainsignal videos and was not that impressed for the CWNA. The instructor is way too general in some topics and at the same time gives some false info.

Each to his own though ;)

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I want to do the CWNA and the CWSP looks really interesting. I am about to move into a lot of wireless responsibilities at work (as the primary on all off our wireless gear). I think the CWNA and CWSP would be really good (as far as material) but I am looking at the CWAP as it looking like it would fit in with WCNA in terms of analysis of traffic. Since that is the direction I want to go with my career (IDS/IPS traffic analysis, Security and Linux) it seems like a logical cert. Anyone else thinking about it?

Seriously is there a CWAP cert? Sounds like somethink tweetie pie would say ;)
    Personally, I checked out some of the trainsignal videos and was not that impressed for the CWNA. The instructor is way too general in some topics and at the same time gives some false info.

Each to his own though ;)

Actually I had the old version of CWNA(100) by CBT Nugget and the Train Signal was far superior, probably cause it was newer and the guy's voice from cbt annoyed me. icon_cool.gif
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »

My thoughts entirely Turgon. You can tell this cert wasn't created by a brit as he/she would be more than aware of that Only Fools and Horses Episode called 'Stage Fright' with 'Tony Angelino' singing 'cwying' and would have avoided it or instantly renamed it in the very least lol.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
    bertieb wrote: »
    My thoughts entirely Turgon. You can tell this cert wasn't created by a brit as he/she would be more than aware of that Only Fools and Horses Episode called 'Stage Fright' with 'Tony Angelino' singing 'cwying' and would have avoided it or instantly renamed it in the very least lol.

I have no idea what just happened here. Chuckles nervously.

The CWAP is all about wireless analysis and stuff. It looks cool. I don't know when I am going to be able to take the CWNA and such (if I do it) but I do plan to get the books for the CWNA, CWSP and CWAP (as well as hacking exposed wireless).
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Turgon wrote: »
    Really, I was thinking Elmer Fudd
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    What are you thoughts on CWAP JD?
    I'm glad the CWNP brought back the CWAP certification. I didn't agree with the CWAP being discontinued and the information folded in to the CWNE cert. If anything, there needed to be more paths to achieving the CWNE. I wouldn't mind going for the CWAP myself, but it's not relevant to my current projects.
    Can anyone tell me what the test format looks like? I've only taken Comptia's exam. On the website they say "Question Types: Multiple choice / multiple answer." There's a huge difference from A-D compared to A-Z icon_thumright.gif Just getting the general idea of the test.
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I cannot tell you the test format other than the CWNP tests are Analytical and tough! You have to know the information so it can be applied. In comparrison to the S+ and N+ I would rate those as a 1 - 2 on the difficulty scale and the CWNA & CWSP as 4 - 5.

Cheers and Good Luck.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
    Simply Put : You can't go back and change your answer. The questions go beyond standard definitions and make you think.