Did I get my money's worth?

2»

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Ciscokits as Alan said is pricey because you're again getting the convenience of buying everything in one big bundle which is in theory tested and comes with cables etc... If you want cheap then you don't buy it like that and buy each piece individually whilst factoring in shipping charges.

My preferred NICs for nearly all purposes are the Intel PRO/1000 PCI Express range. I've never had any problems with them and they work well in any recent OS. They're more expensive than other cards though. You can get single, dual and quad port variants.
  • ZeroHunterZeroHunter Member Posts: 148
    Thanks to every one of you replying to this thread.

I will take some of your recommendations in consideration. I'm thinking about getting rid of the switches I have now (or maybe keep at least one for the purpose of STP). Should I keep both switches, and buy me a 2950 switch with all the features I wanted?

I have to say that the information you got from your purchase and the discussion that it started here was almost worth the price, being another Noob, I found this thread to be very informative!

Skool: Herzing Univ for CCNA
    c0op3r.com
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    Thanks to every one of you replying to this thread.

I will take some of your recommendations in consideration. I'm thinking about getting rid of the switches I have now (or maybe keep at least one for the purpose of STP). Should I keep both switches, and buy me a 2950 switch with all the features I wanted?

I want to be able to do telnet, SSH, switchport port-security, and modern vlan configuration commands. From now on, I'm buying my kit from Ciscokits.com. A friend told me that it's more reliable. Is that true? If yes, then please reply to my post with a link to redirect me to the right switch that has all the features I'm looking for. Please feel free to throw in other places where I can get the switches for cheap.

But do I really need to get new routers? I thought my routers are good enough, but hey, don't forget I can run few good routers in GNS3.

However, I would need to buy PCI NICs for my PC. I don't care what you guys think, but I do need two of them. Do you know where I can get them for cheap online? I heard some of them are glitchy. I hope you can help me find the one with the generic driver that can work with my Ubuntu 10.04 (32-bits) and Windows 7 (64-bits).

you can download the latest available IOS for the 2950s which includes the security enhancements from Cisco without a service licence actually.

you can find the 2950s for cheap on craigslist or ebay. again, not doggin' cisco kits, but you can piece together you own rack for much cheaper than what they're bundling for. you don't necessarily need to buy more routers if you're going to use GNS3, however, true "hands on" experience with cabling and all that can't be emulated.

for an extra nic, try pricewatch.com... i use that site for all my component needs.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    My preferred NICs for nearly all purposes are the Intel PRO/1000 PCI Express range.
    I'll second that one. I use Intel PRO/1000 GT's. Close to the same thing, but plugs into regular PCI. I don't think any of my boxes have a free PCI Express slot anyhow. Sounds cool though.
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would love to buy my kits somewhere else in the future, but I don't want to go through all that ripoff hassles. There is no way I'm buying stuff from Craigslist, since it's way too risky for me. I'm probably better off buying from Ebay, but I don't do bidding, and I only trust the top-sellers. So that leaves me with a very few options on getting the 2950 switches ASAP. That's why I have to turn to CiscoKits if I need one ASAP by early next week.

C'mon, CiscoKits (now CertificationKits) doesn't look so bad. It's probably even more convenience for me. I'm thinking about buying two 2950 switches. They're $89.99 each (Item Number: 2950-B). The one I find on ebay is only about $20 less than that, but again it's not as reliable if I can't trust the sellers.

What y'all think? And by the way, I'm not that desperate. I got money. Remember that. Money circulates around us and it comes and goes as long we keep making them. We're making an investment, spending tons of money on certs study, and expecting more back in our pockets in the future. Right?
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    If you buy using PayPal on eBay then you're generally safe as eBay/PayPal nearly always favour the buyer in any disputes. If its broken or doesn't arrive then you'll just get a refund.
  • ZeroHunterZeroHunter Member Posts: 148

C'mon, CiscoKits (now CertificationKits) doesn't look so bad. It's probably even more convenience for me. I'm thinking about buying two 2950 switches. They're $89.99 each (Item Number: 2950-B). The one I find on ebay is only about $20 less than that, but again it's not as reliable if I can't trust the sellers.
    Snip...

I don't agree at all! Everything I bought I bought off eBay and had a very good experience!

And I am not going to knock Ciscokits.com at all as I bought their book/study kit (which I am very happy with). But the prices could be a little better.

I got (2) WS-C2950-24port Switches, from:

Benjamin Stone
    Cisco Accounts Manager
    Optimum Data® Inc
    5066 South 111th Street
    Omaha NE 68137

Local: 402 827-1883
    Voice: 800-490-7203
    Fax: (402)575-2011
    AIM: bstoneODI
    Email: bstone@optimumdata.com

I paid $100.oo for the pair with a little shipping, nice guy, helpful, and the units are like new. I paid using Paypal.

Skool: Herzing Univ for CCNA
    c0op3r.com
    The two most reliable/fairly priced vendors I know are

Cables and Kits (fair deals and you get candy with every order, mine goes to my youngest boy, 11)
    Horizon Datacom (fair prices online and good phone reps who will make you a deal if they are overstocked on something)

CiscoKits seems overpriced lately, but they help keep this site going with their advertising and I've never heard of anyone getting ripped off.

I go with C&K or Horizon if I don't have the time to work my way through the Ebay maze.

But Ebay is relatively safe also, my only bad experience was with a guy who went from 100% to 85% positive in just three weeks. Either his account was hacked or he was cashing in on his up-til-then good name. The feedback came rolling in how he was suddenly just accepting payments and shipping nothing. Ebay closed his account just as I was starting to get worried. But once they did that, Paypal refunded me all my money. Had me worried but it worked out OK in the long run.
  • Carpe JugulemCarpe Jugulem Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would love to buy my kits somewhere else in the future, but I don't want to go through all that ripoff hassles. There is no way I'm buying stuff from Craigslist, since it's way too risky for me. I'm probably better off buying from Ebay, but I don't do bidding, and I only trust the top-sellers. So that leaves me with a very few options on getting the 2950 switches ASAP. That's why I have to turn to CiscoKits if I need one ASAP by early next week.

What y'all think? And by the way, I'm not that desperate. I got money. Remember that. Money circulates around us and it comes and goes as long we keep making them. We're making an investment, spending tons of money on certs study, and expecting more back in our pockets in the future. Right?

It could just be me, but I find your logic perfectly fine. Do what you want. It's your money, man.
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Netwurk wrote: »
    The two most reliable/fairly priced vendors I know are

Cables and Kits (fair deals and you get candy with every order, mine goes to my youngest boy, 11)
    Horizon Datacom (fair prices online and good phone reps who will make you a deal if they are overstocked on something)

CiscoKits seems overpriced lately, but they help keep this site going with their advertising and I've never heard of anyone getting ripped off.

I go with C&K or Horizon if I don't have the time to work my way through the Ebay maze.

But Ebay is relatively safe also, my only bad experience was with a guy who went from 100% to 85% positive in just three weeks. Either his account was hacked or he was cashing in on his up-til-then good name. The feedback came rolling in how he was suddenly just accepting payments and shipping nothing. Ebay closed his account just as I was starting to get worried. But once they did that, Paypal refunded me all my money. Had me worried but it worked out OK in the long run.

You would not believe what just happen. After checking out my cart and creating a new account with CiscoKits, I just found out how ridiculously expensive their shipping fee was. It was $43.50 (it comes with insurance). Their 3-year warranty is $15.29, which is not so bad but adding up $179.99 to that would be $238.78. I figured it's not worth the money for something I know would become obsolete in few years.

So guys, I reconsidered all of your advices, and I appreciated your input. You know I'm a total noob with ebay, and I didn't know ebay was THAT safe. So I gave it another chance, but I was still being stubborn about not bidding or buying items from non-top sellers. Coincidentally, I found two cheap 2950s with free shipping, and it was actually from Horizon Datacom. Netwurk, I assume you buy stuffs from them directly, but I didn't know they have an ebay store. So, I bought their only two 2950 switches left for only $150. Sweet, I saved $80!

Here's the link: Speaking of Irony

And...in case you guys were wondering about that feedback on the first obsolete kit I bought, I gave him a 100 since some of you guys made valid points on why he should earn it.
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    You would not believe what just happen. After checking out my cart and creating a new account with CiscoKits, I just found out how ridiculously expensive their shipping fee was. It was $43.50 (it comes with insurance). Their 3-year warranty is $15.29, which is not so bad but adding up $179.99 to that would be $238.78. I figured it's not worth the money for something I know would become obsolete in few years.

So guys, I reconsidered all of your advices, and I appreciated your input. You know I'm a total noob with ebay, and I didn't know ebay was THAT safe. So I gave it another chance, but I was still being stubborn about not bidding or buying items from non-top sellers. Coincidentally, I found two cheap 2950s with free shipping, and it was actually from Horizon Datacom. Netwurk, I assume you buy stuffs from them directly, but I didn't know they have an ebay store. So, I bought their only two 2950 switches left for only $150. Sweet, I saved $80!

Here's the link: Speaking of Irony

And...in case you guys were wondering about that feedback on the first obsolete kit I bought, I gave him a 100 since some of you guys made valid points on why he should earn it.

that's not bad for a pair of 2950s. happy vlanin' :)
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
    Almost every seller also has an ebay store. Glad you found Horizon helpful.

I prefer to buy direct but it's not for everyone. Making a deal over the phone is easy for me as I've dealt with vendors at work for almost 30 years. Like others have said, do what works for you.

Happy labbing

:)