choices choices

SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
Okay, I have a job that I am shooting for next year and I have been told that the favorable certs would be:

CCNA
MCSA/E (MCITP)
CEH

now I have the opportunity to take some training around December-January time frame. I am stuck between the CCNA and the CEH. I made a basic pro-con list.

CCNA- respected widely, I have an interest in it, part of my WGU degree plan (though of course I have already started, no chance of transfer credit).

CEH- Needed if I am going to work in the field, I have wanted it ever since I found out about it, It provides a base of knowledge, that should allow me to launch into further studies, can be transferred if I do a WGU Masters.

yes I know those are all pro's.

as far as the training goes, I still need to look at all options, but I am thinking,

CCNA:Training Camp, good experience with them in the past, they supposedly have hands on lab equipment, I can add in the CCNA Security to make me happy. :)

CEH:Intense School, they have a good reputation, great course benefits, I can train for the CEH, ECSA, CPT, CEPT! icon_twisted.gif (i.e really happy!)

I am paying for these myself ATM, company paying is a distant possibility for the CEH...

I am choosing "boot camp" training because especially for the CEH I like the opportunity to ask questions and try different things. Maybe ask how to exploit a Windows 7 box, not just Win2k! While I have been studying for Cisco on my own I feel that I got much farther while in school with an instructor.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would do the CCNA and CCNA:Security. Good foundation for understanding networking, and it's also well respected.
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SephStorm wrote: »
    CEH- Needed if I am going to work in the field, I have wanted it ever since I found out about it, It provides a base of knowledge, that should allow me to launch into further studies, can be transferred if I do a WGU Masters.

The CEH does not transfer to the WGU MS in ISA you have to complete it again if you already have it. The only Certifications that transfer are Network+ and Security+ if you do not have an Information Technology, Computer Science or Information Assurance Degree. The Security+ fills a degree pre-requisite but it does not remove classes.

I recommend CCNA, unless you have a specific job that requires the CEH you can get it later and easier than the CCNA. The knowledge gained from a CCNA is more extensive than the CEH as well. I am studying for both right now so I am speaking from experience. For you at your knowledge level with the certifications you have I believe the CCNA will help you more currently.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    As far as taking the CCNA when you want to. Your mentor can enroll you in the CCNA class at any time (except the last few weeks of a term) and then you can take the class/test. Just get enrolled and referred for the exam before you take it. Also, instead of paying the huge $$$$ for a boot camp why not just try something like Get Your CCNA For $1 A Day! On-Demand CCNA Boot Camp With Chris Bryant, CCIE #12933 where you'll get an online on demand version at a fraction of the cost. (You can mail me the difference if you just have the $$$laying around..lol)
    What is going to give you the most benefit as far as the job you have now and the upcoming job?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I would do the CCNA and CCNA:Security. Good foundation for understanding networking, and it's also well respected.

I just earned my CCNA:Security having had the CCNA for three years prior. CCNA security has more useful stuff than CCNA alone by a wide margin. Practical applications for certs like CISSP and CEH are lacking. However the market penetration of Cisco switches and routers is HUGE. Being able to intelligently describe how to mitigate layer 2 and layer 3 attacks will cut you above the competition who has more traditional security certifications.
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As you are in the army. Are these certs to help advance your position while enlisted? Are they to help gain knowledge on stuff you are currently working with or areas you want to go into? If so what is your job title on your ERB and where do you want to be (Job area, Job title)?
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I have to walk a line here but I am looking at moving into a job within the next year to two years where Hacking skills will be useful.The position is actually in defense, but a move to offense is in the ballpark, I assume.

As for the Bryant Boot Camp, I have seen part of his TBA videos, I like the CBT Nuggets much more, and I believe the general belief is that they are better than his videos, for test prep.

However, I am not familiar with his boot camp material, I will look into it. What I also plan to do is contact my POC, see what is more valuable to them.