failed: today

whotimewhotime Member Posts: 122 ■■■□□□□□□□
icon_sad.gif well scored a 680 on this test. i use it as a learning experience. i now know how to study for a comptia test and how it will be and all it cost was 100 bucks. i am going for my a+ and sec+ before the end of the year and will take this one again in jan or feb.
WGU BS: IT-Security
In Progress: C170, C246
To Be Completed: C247, C299, C697, C698, C435, C436, C179

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sorry to hear about the tough luck. Did you get any detail on what areas you were weak in?
    I couldn't help noticing your CIW cert, are you a WGU student? That cert is mostly prevalent around here with the WGU crowd.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    Sorry to hear about the test as well. You should get a score sheet with places that you are weak in. It has areas you missed questions in. Least you got something out of it and you know more about the process and you can do better next time.
  • krauserkrauser Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A+ should be your 1st target, then comes N+ or S+. You still have time to get those certifications.

Good luck, icon_thumright.gif
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    krauser wrote: »
    A+ should be your 1st target, then comes N+ or S+. You still have time to get those certifications.

Good luck, icon_thumright.gif

Agreed. Not only are they easier (the A+ and Sec+ I'm sure are) but they will build a foundation, which should make the Server+ easier when you get back to it.

Not to mention, that it is a much better idea to get them in this year while they are still good for life, than next year when they will expire every 3 years. You are running low on time, but could still squeeze all 3 in before December 31st. 4 tests in just under 3 months is moving at a swift pace, but it is doable.

You can come back to Server+ next year, as that will still be good for life.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Agreed. Not only are they easier (the A+ and Sec+ I'm sure are) but they will build a foundation, which should make the Server+ easier when you get back to it.

Not to mention, that it is a much better idea to get them in this year while they are still good for life, than next year when they will expire every 3 years. You are running low on time, but could still squeeze all 3 in before December 31st. 4 tests in just under 3 months is moving at a swift pace, but it is doable.

You can come back to Server+ next year, as that will still be good for life.

It really is in your best interest in today's job market to enroll in the CE side of the certifications anyway, regardless of "good for life". Yes they will be valid, but in 3 years they become out of date. An employer will favor a prospective applicant more if the Cert is up to date, rather than a long out dated "valid" cert.

Just something to consider, I mean, if you are on the older end of the spectrum and have a rather rock solid job that doesnt REQUIRE updated ones, you may not need it. But someone who feels they might not stay where they are, or havent broken into the market yet, may want to opt for CE.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It really is in your best interest in today's job market to enroll in the CE side of the certifications anyway, regardless of "good for life". Yes they will be valid, but in 3 years they become out of date. An employer will favor a prospective applicant more if the Cert is up to date, rather than a long out dated "valid" cert.

It depends on the applicant and the skillset/experience that applicant brings to the table.

Unless a IT professional has to recertify because he's DoD'ing AND/OR his employer needs him to because of certain contractual obligations between his company and the client his company is servicing, it is not really necessary to recertify if you have already gotten bigger and better deals.

I "briefly" thought about recerting Network+ through the "bridge" exam....I was smacked back into reality. :)

The only thing I want CompTIA to do for me though...is give me new wallet cards instead of making me carry my old dingy ones. The Sec+ one I have is soooooo nice and I even feel proud of showing it to folks (not to brag of course, but just because it looks and feels so nice). I really do like that...lol.

I agree that the technology does go out of date, and that if you don't keep current you will become obsolete. But I also disagree with some things.

First, an employer won't know what version of a certification that you have unless you tell them.

Second, I don't see the point of recertifying every 3 years for something like A+. My first reason for that is if you have been in IT and are still in a job that requires A+ then you are doing something wrong. And even if you are in a job like that, you have been working directly with the technology. Any updates that have come, you surely got and there isn't much of a point to come back every 3 years to give CompTIA money to tell you what you already know.

Network+ is the same kind of story. Security+ is different, I'll admit that. I'm not an expert on the recertification process, but doesn't it just involve doing X amount of CE's and then paying them some money? So why not do the CE's anyway and keep your buck?
    erpadmin wrote: »
    The only thing I want CompTIA to do for me though...is give me new wallet cards instead of making me carry my old dingy ones. The Sec+ one I have is soooooo nice and I even feel proud of showing it to folks (not to brag of course, but just because it looks and feels so nice). I really do like that...lol.

You can order a new fulfillment kit, cost is $10 I believe.
  • whotimewhotime Member Posts: 122 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am 27 i am taking the A+ and server+ to clep out of 3 college courses so i can graduate earlier plus have a cert. I am taking the Security + for the knowledge and dont necessarily care about the net+ as i will be taking the ccna in jan or feb as that is what my degree is in.
    WGU BS: IT-Security
    In Progress: C170, C246
    To Be Completed: C247, C299, C697, C698, C435, C436, C179
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I agree that the technology does go out of date, and that if you don't keep current you will become obsolete. But I also disagree with some things.

First, an employer won't know what version of a certification that you have unless you tell them.

Second, I don't see the point of recertifying every 3 years for something like A+. My first reason for that is if you have been in IT and are still in a job that requires A+ then you are doing something wrong. And even if you are in a job like that, you have been working directly with the technology. Any updates that have come, you surely got and there isn't much of a point to come back every 3 years to give CompTIA money to tell you what you already know.

Network+ is the same kind of story. Security+ is different, I'll admit that. I'm not an expert on the recertification process, but doesn't it just involve doing X amount of CE's and then paying them some money? So why not do the CE's anyway and keep your buck?

Because, 9 times out of 10, if you need it for work, most likely work will pay for it anyway. With Sec+, keeping it current will in turn keep Net+ and A+ current with no additional fees or effort.

However if you feel that way, let them fall out of date, not hurting anyone but potentially yourself, but if your confident it wont, no harm no foul.

Btw, after your assessment of the card being so nice, i am really looking forward to passing Sec+ and receiving mine. LOL.
  • NetAdmin84NetAdmin84 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Def get your A+ first, from what a I can see a could part of the Server+ exam is hardware, and troubleshooting the hardware. Net+ and Security+ would probably come in handy as well!
    Currently reading:

Cisco Press: CCNA Offical Exam Certification Library - Wendell Odom
    Sybex: CCNA Study Guide - Todd Lammle
    ExamCram: CCNA - Michael Valentine

Currently pursuing:

CCNA - CWNA - MCTS
  • Pratt2Pratt2 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is it just me, or is Sec+ much easier than Net+ ?
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    Pratt2 wrote: »
    Is it just me, or is Sec+ much easier than Net+ ?

It feels I'm having an easier time reading and studying for it. Don't want to jinx myself tho. I also haven't reached cryptography yet.
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)