David's CCIE: R+S Thread

Comments

• gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    40 hours reached today.

Aiming for 50 before next weekend.
    Done some more hours today.

BGP is making my mind melt :D and I've got another 3 chapters to go.

Never mind, slowly slowly catchy monkey.
    CCIE study is going to be paused for a day or two.

Having secured an interview for next week, I'm going to have to prepare before Monday (interview is later in the week) because I'm having eye surgery on Monday.

I need to be prepared beforehand so that I can contemplate the interview next week while in recovery - general anaesthesia means driving and working will be impossible for a day or two.
  • creamy_stewcreamy_stew Member Posts: 406 ■■■□□□□□□□
    gorebrush wrote: »
    Never mind, slowly slowly catchy monkey.

I don't get this, but I'm still LOLing. Where is that from?

Good luck in you studies!
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
    Surgery day today.

Have to be in for 9, meeting the consultant then.

Meeting anaesthetist at 12, and op is at 2. Should take one hour. Computer/book action wiped out this week (according to my nurse girlfriend) but I will be checking with the consultant. A week off work would be an absolute waste if I don't at least read something!
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Surgery day today.

Meeting anaesthetist at 12, and op is at 2. Should take one hour. Computer/book action wiped out this week (according to my nurse girlfriend) but I will be checking with the consultant. A week off work would be an absolute waste if I don't at least read something!

Best wishes for the op matey, make a speedy recovery.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Surgery day today.

Do what the medical professionals advise you to do. Most likely you will have some discomfort for some days so just rest. If laying off reading is advised that's what you do. Get well soon!
    Yes, you're right. Cisco will still be there in a weeks time.
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck with your op!! Wish you well... if you want, you can maybe check out some of the INE podcasts or something to that nature... that'll at least give you something to listen to if you're unable to read! Honestly, I would suggest you take this time off to relax, get well! Again, best of luck to you!!!

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
    Relax time is a great idea. I'm out of surgery now and just had food. It didn't last long on the plate. Starving David was starving.
    Well it seems I am recovering well. Still getting used to my new positions of my eyeballs but I can feel a massive difference. I've done very little all week, and rested up as instructed. Today however is possibly my most important interview ever, and I am very keen to make a good impression and to get this job.
    Still getting used to my new positions of my eyeballs

Now theres a quote you won't hear all that often :D. Glad you are recovering well gorebrush, hope the interview goes (or went) OK!
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
    Well interview went well. Only 1st stage today but was told that my profile is an excellent match so should have a shot at 2nd stage. Will find out tomorrow apparently. As for my sight, today was first adventure outdoors. The world looks even more odd than it did last week! 3D vision is amazing when you haven't been used to it!

Really curious to see the full on measured results, but will have to wait until 4th October. In the meantime - I don't think driving is still a wise idea thus I think staring at a computer screen for 8 hours a day will help much either.

I think seeking a medical professionals view tomorrow is wise before attempting work on monday. I mean, I need my eyes to be fit for an IT job...
    Through to 2nd interview....
    Through to 2nd interview....

Awesome, well done and good luck with the 2nd interview
    It is time I said hello :)

Well, surgery is now over and recovery is going well. Still not back at work yet due to the fact I am still adjusting to my new vision, but I am getting better all the time.

I'm hoping to pick up my CCIE studies again soon, and I will have to admit, a break from everything has meant I've been able to recharge my batteries properly. Other than the imminent interview next week I haven't done much in the way of thinking about work - but now I am ready to get back on the various horses and start kicking some more ass.

I think after the interview I will pick up my bible that is Odom's 4th Certification Guide to CCIE, and start again with BGP.
    Today's the day for interview #2. Excited and nervous - really would like to get this one. Usually means I don't get it if I feel like this lol - but all the other variables are working in my favour.
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    enjoy the interview mate, just remember your interviewing them as well icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
    Well the dye, as they say, is cast.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Well the dye, as they say, is cast.

sorry, grammar **** moment.... die. The die is cast! And Caesar crossed the Rubicon, not the Rubik's cube!
    I only went and landed the new post. Absolutely ecstatic.
    priority now is to knuckle down in the new job. Study at night.
    Definitely. I've had quite a break from CCIE and at the moment I'm getting wiped out daily at work finishing off notes and fixing things that are breaking last minute. I have another 3 weeks only there, and I can't wait to see the back of the place. Morale is very low no matter who you talk to.

Anyway, new start coming and hopefully this will be a role and a company where I'm going to need to be sharp and on the ball constantly. I can't wait - I'm fed up of this boredom that is my current existence though I am doing some nice cisco work to finish off - migrating everything to a new VLAN.

When I do start my new job I will have vastly differing priorities and a role that is NOT predominantly support based. I will be involved with networking but maybe not as much as I'd like. Be that as it may, ultimately I am with an employer now that will probably look to sponsor CCIE - after all, their greatest asset as a company is it's people, so I'm thinking that they will look after then in order to garner the most out of them.
    Definitely. I've had quite a break from CCIE and at the moment I'm getting wiped out daily at work finishing off notes and fixing things that are breaking last minute. I have another 3 weeks only there, and I can't wait to see the back of the place. Morale is very low no matter who you talk to.

Anyway, new start coming and hopefully this will be a role and a company where I'm going to need to be sharp and on the ball constantly. I can't wait - I'm fed up of this boredom that is my current existence though I am doing some nice cisco work to finish off - migrating everything to a new VLAN.

When I do start my new job I will have vastly differing priorities and a role that is NOT predominantly support based. I will be involved with networking but maybe not as much as I'd like. Be that as it may, ultimately I am with an employer now that will probably look to sponsor CCIE - after all, their greatest asset as a company is it's people, so I'm thinking that they will look after then in order to garner the most out of them.

It is a new start, and it's important to get off to a good one in a new company. Watch the punctuality and work hard on the new working relationships you will have to nurture. Avoid conflict and the temptation to judge people too soon. Spend the rest of this year settling in there and trying to get your first few pieces of work through without any major problems. The CCIE you can return to once you have settled in.
    Today received confirmation that all my references are good, security clearance is good, well, it's all good.

Now to look forward to November 15th
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Good luck on the new job on Monday. How are the studies coming?
    Studies have been zero for a while. I ended up cancelling the exam for the time being but that is no biggie.

My new role looks like I will be getting more involved with networking but not as directly technically as perhaps I should be for a CCIE.

At the moment my big onus is to learn BMC Bladelogic, so I'm going to be tied up with that for quite a while I think.

Until next year, I think I'll leave it until I am properly settled here and see where we go.

It'll happen one day though if not right now...
    Time for an update.

Me and my wife got married on December 3rd, hence I have been somewhat busy of late. This, coupled with my new job that I started on November 15th has meant that studies have been zero.

However, as this week is the beginning of my next week at work, there is something in the back of my mind about studying and so on that is starting to flag up :)

Therefore, it will soon be time to start picking up some books, 99% going to be CCIE in my own time. Work on the dollar is going to be impossible - I'm in charge of provisioning network management tools for the moment, but this will change of the next few months as I am supposed to be spending time with BMC BladeLogic Server Automation...

Hopefully I can keep the network fires burning though... In the meantime, I'm going to pick up where I left off. As Turgon has mentioned countless times - slow and steady wins the race, especially where you have a life, and work on the dollar is difficult.

Watch this space.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□

Me and my wife got married on December 3rd

CONGRATS!icon_cheers.gificon_thumright.gif
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
    Time for an update.

Me and my wife got married on December 3rd, hence I have been somewhat busy of late. This, coupled with my new job that I started on November 15th has meant that studies have been zero.

However, as this week is the beginning of my next week at work, there is something in the back of my mind about studying and so on that is starting to flag up :)

Therefore, it will soon be time to start picking up some books, 99% going to be CCIE in my own time. Work on the dollar is going to be impossible - I'm in charge of provisioning network management tools for the moment, but this will change of the next few months as I am supposed to be spending time with BMC BladeLogic Server Automation...

Hopefully I can keep the network fires burning though... In the meantime, I'm going to pick up where I left off. As Turgon has mentioned countless times - slow and steady wins the race, especially where you have a life, and work on the dollar is difficult.

Watch this space.

Good luck with everything. Yes your studies on works time will be nuked for months ahead now I think. You must concentrate solely on that job, it's what pays the bills and the first six months are critical. It's not certs your new employer wants, it's performance. Throw everything you have at that job. If you have the urge to study, do it evenings and weekends. Shoot for 100 reading hours by June 2011 then reassess. I think you are looking at the written by end of 2011 and a lab attempt late 2013 or 2014.

Congratulations on the wedding!