Looks Like I Will Be studying for the 70-680

DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
I got some funding so I can study the 70-680. So will be studying this over the next few months. Its my first ever Microsoft exam I have studyed haveing got used to CompTIAs
but should be interesting one to do. Im looking forward to learning about windows seven and I have a good basic knowlegde of the OS and how most of the things work but im sure it will be a challenge and im up for it.

Comments

• gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    I haven't been focused on it but I have spent some time on and off studying 70-680 and 685 material in preparation for taking the Windows 7 upgrade exam for the MCDST. I enjoy learning the material and win7 is a great OS.

The only reason I haven't focused on the material enough to sit the exam yet is that I am working full time, going to school, and one of my university classes is a CCNA course. The Cisco material takes up most of my study.

There are some great resources for Win 7 out there many of which are free and listed in the sticky about the exam. I was just doing a technet virtual lab on DSM earlier this morning as a matter of fact.

Good Luck on your studies!!
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    DoubleD wrote: »
    I got some funding so I can study the 70-680. So will be studying this over the next few months. Its my first ever Microsoft exam I have studyed haveing got used to CompTIAs
    but should be interesting one to do. Im looking forward to learning about windows seven and I have a good basic knowlegde of the OS and how most of the things work but im sure it will be a challenge and im up for it.

im in the same boat after project+ ill be doing the 680 my self but ill have labsim provided for me
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    Count me in as well.
    I've been going back and forth with 70-680 material and plan to sit the exam in November. I think I've just been reluctant to knuckle-down and cram for this exam because the official study guides are riddled with errors -- that's kind of a turn off. Usually, you can find at least one study guide that's a diamond in the rough, but that doesn't seem like the case here. I was waiting for a better book to come along, but I guess I'll just stick with my MS Press book and trudge through it one more time. I also picked up the Windows 7 Admin Pocket Consultant for a quick reference. From what I've read on these boards, this isn't an exam you should approach lightly, so make sure you lab everything you can and have those commands down cold.
    Usus magister est optimus
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I found with the 680 book, it helps to use technet and look through some older posts in the Windows 7 section for questions/answers on the deployment sections. The book will make you so frustrated, as some of the commands are missing/ wrong.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    ive found a book on windows 7 but it is a different exam code

i wonder how different the exams on 7 are
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    What's the exam code? There are 4 Win7 exams out there and they each have different objectives:
    Windows Client Certification | Windows Exams l MCDST

Deployment is only 13% of the 680 exam but it's about 80% of the 681 or 686 exam. If you picked up a book on 686 then most of the book will be dedicated to a small portion of the skills measured on the 680 exam. It's great to have different sources, and I like to include at least one non-MS source if possible, but make sure you keep the exam objectives in mind when you use multiple sources.

Take a look at the skills measured section of the 680 and 686 exam and you will see what I mean:
    TS: Windows 7, Configuring
    Pro: Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Administrator